cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug in B660 bios cpu voltage offset

trihy
Level 9
Hi. I made several tickets on Asus support but there is no way to make them understand the problem.

There is a bug on b660 bios, on all b660 boards. And all 600 series. On z690 is less visible cause there is adaptive voltage, which most people use. On b660 there is only offset.

Problem is, setting a CPU voltage offset of -0.005 will cause ramdon freeze at idle. As you increase the offset, the random freeze ratio will increase.

Also setting + offset will do the same.

This is because applying any offset will cause more than -0.200mv drop at idle.

This was happening on msi boards too and was fixed with a bios update.

Thread on msi forums https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/msi-b660-tomahawk-ddr4-cpu-core-voltage-offset.372022/

Please someone from Asus explain why cpu voltage drops to 0.300 or less when using default bios settings. Lowest per spec value is 0.700 for alder lake.

Thanks.
119 REPLIES 119

trihy
Level 9
Hi. In the meantime could you please tell tech team that with bios 1603 beta you sent me I was having 0.700v on cpu core voltage as minimum.

Now I have 0.400, 0.300 and all weird values out of specs. I really need a fix for that just like the bios you sent me.

It will be a lot easier to do some testing when vcore readings are correct.

Please tell them to do vcore readings between 1603 beta you sent me and 2014. And they will notice the problem in a minute.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi trihy,
Our tech team tested the motherboard at hand and the minimum cpu core voltage is 0.7V and don't have freezing issue.
Please refer to the testing screenshots below.

Could you please help to follow the steps below?
1. shutdown the pc and remove power cord. Then, clear cmos.
2. enter bios utility and press F5 & F10 to boot into windows
3. restart in windows and enter bios utility again to change to CPU voltage offset of -0.005. Then, save and boot into windows
4. Please check if it freeze at idle or low cpu usage tasks(like browsing or which apps do you run) and share us the scenario in detail.
5. How long does the freezing issue occur?
6. May I have a video when you try step 1-4 and the issue occurring?

Also, please check if your cpu is different from ours(please refer to the screenshot below.
If it is different from ours, we would suggest send RMA for further examination.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi trihy,
Our tech team tested the motherboard at hand and the minimum cpu core voltage is 0.7V and don't have freezing issue.
Please refer to the testing screenshots below.

Could you please help to follow the steps below?
1. shutdown the pc and remove power cord. Then, clear cmos.
2. enter bios utility and press F5 & F10 to boot into windows
3. restart in windows and enter bios utility again to change to CPU voltage offset of -0.005. Then, save and boot into windows
4. Please check if it freeze at idle or low cpu usage tasks(like browsing or which apps do you run) and share us the scenario in detail.
5. How long does the freezing issue occur?
6. May I have a video when you try step 1-4 and the issue occurring?

Also, please check if your cpu is different from ours(please refer to the screenshot below.
If it is different from ours, we would suggest send RMA for further examination.
Thank you.

Hi. I did a clear cmos. Im running everything at stock on bios. NO undervolt, NO offset, nothing, just stock.

Vcore readings:

And even worst:

All this with stock settings. NO UNDERVOLT, NO OFFSET. Everything at AUTO.

BTW tried some undervolt and still didnt get idle freeze. So maybe idle freeze was solved, but vcore reading was not. 1603 beta had both solved.

Your CPU is an H0 revision, mine is a C0, only difference I had noticed. Chipset seems to be a different revision too.

Thanks.

----EDIT----- Guess I found the bug. INCORRECT VCORE READINGS ON BIOS 2014 ARE ONLY WITH STOCK AUTO VALUES. With offset undervolt, readings are fine.

Still on testing. But tell them to test vcore reading with AUTO voltages.

Shosiu
Level 8
Hi,
Can the tech team do a simple check: run cinebench stock and with 0.05 negative voltage offset? And provide results?
Thanks

Shosiu wrote:
Hi,
Can the tech team do a simple check: run cinebench stock and with 0.05 negative voltage offset? And provide results?
Thanks

I did a test with -0.100 on vrm core voltage and cinebench r23 multi thread result was 12200 with an i5 12400.

So there is a problem with your board (B660I) that is not present on mine (B660M plus). I recommend opening a thread about this. So other users with B660i can report their findings.

Also try cpuz benchmark and report back.

trihy
Level 9
Hi. Thanks for your help. Will do all the test today and report back. Yesterday didn't noticed going down from 0.700, but first day with this bios clearly was going below that. Will check again with clear CMOS and report back.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi trihy,
We will report your feedback to our tech team to check it further.
Thank you.

trihy
Level 9
Hi. Thanks. I can confirm. Those weird vcore voltages only show on bios 2014 when using default auto Vrm core voltage.

When applying any offset, vcore show correct values (0.700 minus offset, obviously). But not weird 0.200, 0.300 etc values.

And idle freeze are not happening, so probably solved on this bios.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi trihy,
Our tech team said bios 2014 and 1603 beta are the same settings for this part.
Package C State Limit can be C10 when the setting is default auto.
Therefore, your vcore voltage is normal and it is possible to go as low as 0V, which is the CPU behavior.
Thank you.

trihy
Level 9
Hi. Thanks for your answer. As long as it dont give idle freezes, it will be fine. Maybe the beta one had C10 always off.