cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug in B660 bios cpu voltage offset

trihy
Level 9
Hi. I made several tickets on Asus support but there is no way to make them understand the problem.

There is a bug on b660 bios, on all b660 boards. And all 600 series. On z690 is less visible cause there is adaptive voltage, which most people use. On b660 there is only offset.

Problem is, setting a CPU voltage offset of -0.005 will cause ramdon freeze at idle. As you increase the offset, the random freeze ratio will increase.

Also setting + offset will do the same.

This is because applying any offset will cause more than -0.200mv drop at idle.

This was happening on msi boards too and was fixed with a bios update.

Thread on msi forums https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/msi-b660-tomahawk-ddr4-cpu-core-voltage-offset.372022/

Please someone from Asus explain why cpu voltage drops to 0.300 or less when using default bios settings. Lowest per spec value is 0.700 for alder lake.

Thanks.
119 REPLIES 119

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi trihy and w4rdog,
I've sent PM to you. Please help to check you PM.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi trihy and w4rdog,
Thank you.

Hi. Running that bios.

First impression is good. System was able to boot with -0.030 offset. Which doesnt say much, I could do the same before.

But tried with -0.070 which before was instant hang at TUF logo. Now boots fine.

So looks like something changed. Not sure about idle freezes, because it will take a little more time to test.

Also lowest vcore reading is around 0.700. Doesnt seem to show anymore those low values from before like 0.200, 0.150 or so. This looks promising too.

Will report later with more testing.

Thanks

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi trihy and w4rdog,
Thank you.

Hi,

No freezes at all so far, it seems resolved.

Well done!!

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi trihy and w4rdog,
Thank you.

Hi !

Just curious, does the same beta bios exist for the B660-I ROG Strix ?

Is there a release date already planned for the next bios with this fix ?Â*

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi trihy and w4rdog,
Thank you.

Hi. Do you know if fixes will be added to retail bios?

Been using the bios you sent us for two weeks without any problem.

But the retail ones are still bugged, even the newer ones.

Thanks

trihy wrote:
Hi. Do you know if fixes will be added to retail bios?

Been using the bios you sent us for two weeks without any problem.

But the retail ones are still bugged, even the newer ones.

Thanks

Can you check that you dont any performance impact with negative offset ? Beta Bios does not crash either for me, but performance is a lot worse than stock.

I will post the screenshots later

trihy
Level 9
1603 bios:

New 1603 beta bios:

Lowest should be around 0.700, but since Im using -0.070 offset, around 0.630v is correct.

Seems it doesnt show anymore those low weird vcore voltages from the first image.

But will need more testing.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi trihy,
Thank you for your reply.
If you encounter issue on it, please let me know.
Thank you.

trihy
Level 9
Hi. Everything working as expected.

Even tried offset of -0.100 and more. Those values needed a clear cmos on other bios. On this one they work fine. Also no random freeze at idle (this will take a little more testing, but since idle vcore now report expected values, see no reason for idle freeze)

Thanks for taking time into this. And hope they can add this fixes to all other 600 series boards.

Hello !

Where can we get this beta bios ? Is it scheduled to be available for download soon ?

I would love to test it too since I'm a huge fan of undervolting and I have juste received my B660-I ROG Strix 🙂