cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug in B660 bios cpu voltage offset

trihy
Level 9
Hi. I made several tickets on Asus support but there is no way to make them understand the problem.

There is a bug on b660 bios, on all b660 boards. And all 600 series. On z690 is less visible cause there is adaptive voltage, which most people use. On b660 there is only offset.

Problem is, setting a CPU voltage offset of -0.005 will cause ramdon freeze at idle. As you increase the offset, the random freeze ratio will increase.

Also setting + offset will do the same.

This is because applying any offset will cause more than -0.200mv drop at idle.

This was happening on msi boards too and was fixed with a bios update.

Thread on msi forums https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/msi-b660-tomahawk-ddr4-cpu-core-voltage-offset.372022/

Please someone from Asus explain why cpu voltage drops to 0.300 or less when using default bios settings. Lowest per spec value is 0.700 for alder lake.

Thanks.
119 REPLIES 119

Hi all,

Same here, with an offset -0.050 there´s no problem to pass CBR23 Multitask Test, but once you´re navigating on internet or working with Office a freezing pc comes up with no temporal frecuency pattern. No matter what offset is set up just ends the same up all the time.

My pc: i7 12700/Asus Tuf Gaming b660m Plus D4/Zotac RTX 3070/2x16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600Mhz DDR4 (BL2K16G36C16U4B)/Artic Liquid Freeze II 280mm/Corsair RM 850w/Windows 11 Pro - Build 21H2

Cheers

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi w4rdog,
Does freezing also occur on bios 1402 with bios all default settings?
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard via PM
- the brand and the model name of your OS drive
- Is the OS build 22000.795?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi w4rdog,
Does freezing also occur on bios 1402 with bios all default settings?
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard via PM
- the brand and the model name of your OS drive
- Is the OS build 22000.795?
Thank you.

No it doesn´t, just occurs when any offset value is set up.

Information sent via PM.

Thanks

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi w4rdog,
Do you only get freeze with an cpu voltage offset -0.050 and other bios settings are default?
Sorry I didn't notice bios 1603 is released for TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS D4. Could you please help to see if the issue also occurs on bios 1603 with an offset -0.050?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi w4rdog,
Do you only get freeze with an cpu voltage offset -0.050 and other bios settings are default?
Sorry I didn't notice bios 1603 is released for TUF GAMING B660M-PLUS D4. Could you please help to see if the issue also occurs on bios 1603 with an offset -0.050?
Thank you.

Hi,

Freezing comes up with any cpu voltage offset value set up from -0.005v to -0.050v and rest of bios settings are default. I guess with values above -0.0050v will end freezing up too. No offset no freezing.

Respect of bios 1603 just brings an update microcode for next generation Intel Processors which seems does not resolve the issue as fellow @Trihy checked it out a few days ago.

Thanks.

trihy
Level 9
Remember is not needed to apply -0.050 to have freezes at idle. -0.0050 is enough. Even positive values like +0.0050 cause freeze at idle too.

DragDay7
Level 9
You guys have opposite issue of mine - I'm having z690-a prime board and my PC freezes once in a while unless I set adaptive voltage instead auto xD I'll try setting negative offset and see if it avoids freezing too.

trihy
Level 9
It could happen too. Idle voltage is all wrong. So try to avoid it. B660 doesnt have adaptive, so we can´t try.

But will try to keep on topic to see if we can get some response from Asus.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi trihy,
Thank you for your reply.
I'm afraid after checked our system, the serial number you provided is not tuf B660m plus wifi D4. Could you please help to check the serial number again?
If it is tuf B660m plus wifi D4 on the sticker label, may I have a photo of the sticker label in PM?
How long did you put the pc in idle or use it with low cpu usage a day could get idle freeze once a day or every 2 or 3 days?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi trihy,
Thank you for your reply.
I'm afraid after checked our system, the serial number you provided is not tuf B660m plus wifi D4. Could you please help to check the serial number again?
If it is tuf B660m plus wifi D4 on the sticker label, may I have a photo of the sticker label in PM?
How long did you put the pc in idle or use it with low cpu usage a day could get idle freeze once a day or every 2 or 3 days?
Thank you.

Hi. I sent the serial of other board, my bad, have many asus boards here.

Sent you another PM.

Freeze could take a day, something a little more. There is no need to be permanent idle, it will freeze when doing idle stuff no matter if you just finished some benchmark, as soon as you are in idle, freeze could happen. Some days got 1 or 0 freeze. Others 4 o 5 the same day.

But if you want to have freezes at idle pretty soon, increase the offset. At -0.040 or -0.050 it will probably freeze in an hour at best. Or will hang at the Asus logo. With -0.060 will surely hang at the asus logo.