cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSOD when idle with Rog Strix G732LWS 17 - possibly too low voltage

Petranera
Level 7
Hi, I'm having trouble with my Rog Strix G732LWS 17 for a while now.

Specs :

Windows 10
Intel Core I7 10875H 2.30GHz
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super
SSD disk 1tr (in two separate disks)
16 Go ram in two pieces

- I bought it a year ago, Blue Screens started few month ago and are very frequent since one month.
- It started with Blue Screen after sleep mode with restart on BIOS with "Storage device not found" in place of the SSD disk.
- Then it becomes more frequent when the PC was in idle during night, in the morning I always found it in the BIOS with that "Storage device not found".
- And the BSOD started to happen after few minutes in idle or watching videos on youtube or navigating on the Internet, never when playing a game.

So I had to always run a game in background to continue using the PC for simple desk tasks.

What I tried :

- Updating all drivers and Windows
- I did several factory windows reinstall with and without drivers and windows update
- Opening the laptop to clean it and unplug the batery to remove residual energy
- Testing both ram
- Trying various windows manipulations I've seen on forums like disable .netframework sheduled task
- Trying to run windows in safe mode

What I've recently noticed is that the blue screens seem to not happen when in TURBO mode, and that in other modes the VCORE voltages seems very low (around 0.700v - 0.800v)

So my idea now would be to rise that voltage a little bit to avoid those Blue Screens, but in the BIOS it's only possible to down it. On Intel Extreme Tunning Utility the Static core voltage mode is disabled.

I would really appreciate some helps since I'm fighting for a month with those permanent BSOD that give me the will to trow the Laptop down to the deep blue of the Ocean in front of my house, and that would be not ecological.

RMA should be the very last option since I live in a very remoted island in the right middle of the Pacific Ocean (Marquesas Islands).

Thanks in advance for the help.
15 REPLIES 15

Hi Starrain, this is not an OS problem, I've reinstalled several times windows and tried all the software possibilities. I've also spent days looking for solutions on Internet and tried everything possible.

As I said earlier - and this is the technical advice I've asked - is "How can I up the voltage of my device".

After trying everything, as I've wrote it in this very post, I've deduced that the BSOD are hapenning because of a too low voltage. That's why BSOD are not happening when in turbo mode. What I think is that the SSD disk stop at too low voltage and cause BSOD. So I ask again :

How can I up the voltage of my device to have a working 3000$ laptop ?

At that price I was expecting a serious help from the Asus staff, not basics "update drivers and windows".

As I said, I live in the middle of Pacific Ocean, your "local service" is at minimum 6000km. I can't afford to send the laptop back and loose 3 month for an OS reinstall that I've already did when I paid a so expensive machine.

If Asus staff can't give me an answer I'll try in other internet forums. I try to keep my calm but that's not easy.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Petranera,

I'm sorry I know sending the device to our service center would be hard for your location, but bsod might also hardware related.
Although there is setting to up the voltage in bios, that might make the device unstable.
If you don’t want to send the device for further examination in our service center, as you mentioned, I think selecting turbo mode would be safer than bios settings adjusting.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

DezzenDJ
Level 7
Petranera wrote:
Hi, I'm having trouble with my Rog Strix G732LWS 17 for a while now.

Specs :

Windows 10
Intel Core I7 10875H 2.30GHz
Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super
SSD disk 1tr (in two separate disks)
16 Go ram in two pieces

- I bought it a year ago, Blue Screens started few month ago and are very frequent since one month.
- It started with Blue Screen after sleep mode with restart on BIOS with "Storage device not found" in place of the SSD disk.
- Then it becomes more frequent when the PC was in idle during night, in the morning I always found it in the BIOS with that "Storage device not found".
- And the BSOD started to happen after few minutes in idle or watching videos on youtube or navigating on the Internet, never when playing a game.

So I had to always run a game in background to continue using the PC for simple desk tasks.

What I tried :

- Updating all drivers and Windows
- I did several factory windows reinstall with and without drivers and windows update
- Opening the laptop to clean it and unplug the batery to remove residual energy
- Testing both ram
- Trying various windows manipulations I've seen on forums like disable .netframework sheduled task
- Trying to run windows in safe mode

What I've recently noticed is that the blue screens seem to not happen when in TURBO mode, and that in other modes the VCORE voltages seems very low (around 0.700v - 0.800v)

So my idea now would be to rise that voltage a little bit to avoid those Blue Screens, but in the BIOS it's only possible to down it. On Intel Extreme Tunning Utility the Static core voltage mode is disabled.

I would really appreciate some helps since I'm fighting for a month with those permanent BSOD that give me the will to trow the Laptop down to the deep blue of the Ocean in front of my house, and that would be not ecological.

RMA should be the very last option since I live in a very remoted island in the right middle of the Pacific Ocean (Marquesas Islands).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Can we bump this. This is a serious problem that has developed in the last few months with ROG Strix owners. I am having the exact problem. BSOD on silent, performance, or windows modes but perfectly fine on Turbo. Something is happening somewhere when the cpu throttles down into a idle state. Critical Process Died. No dumps so we have nothing to give to help with the problem.

DezzenDJ wrote:
Can we bump this. This is a serious problem that has developed in the last few months with ROG Strix owners. I am having the exact problem. BSOD on silent, performance, or windows modes but perfectly fine on Turbo. Something is happening somewhere when the cpu throttles down into a idle state. Critical Process Died. No dumps so we have nothing to give to help with the problem.

Hi there,
May I know if you have the G732LWS as well? or slightly different mode?
Can you share a screenshot of the BSOD? I would like to know the detail error code.
And what is your current BIOS and OS version?
Thank you very much.

saswin
Level 7
This sounds very similar with my 1 month old ROG GU603HM. The machine running well on turbo doing heavy rendering work and when the battery is fully charge with the charger plugged in. I need to test this for longer period of time but this is the conclusion so far.

But running on simple task like words, excel, whatsapp causing BSOD WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR when adapter is unplugged or the battery if halfway charging.

BSOD also happened when the laptop is opened after on sleep without the adapter plugged in.

Please ASUS sort this out.

Bumping this thread just in case someone found a solution without a RMA.

I tried https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?124460-ASUS-ROG-Strix-G15-(G512LW)-BSOD-CRITIAL_PROCESS_DI... which sounded promising but unfortunately it didn't fix the issue.

Doing some additional tests using Windows To Go (so same as a newly installed Windows), I suspect something related to the SSD. Basically, not doing anything on the computer, the partition from the RAID array randomly "disappears" from Explorer and I can find weird errors in the Windows Event Viewer like:

Log Name: System
Source: disk
Date: 2/20/2022 2:10:47 AM
Event ID: 157
Task Category: None
Level: (3)
Keywords: (36028797018963968)
User: N/A
Computer: DESKTOP-MJ2F4BG
Description:
Disk 0 has been surprise removed.

I already found few people on the Internet mentioning instabilities with these Strix series when they are idle. Either it's a hardware issue (which must be known by Asus now...) and we should just be told to have the laptop/component replaced or it's a software/firmware issue and you guys from Asus should provide us with a fix!