cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new ROG Flow X16 - 1000's of WHEA event 17 errors - Event log details...

littlebloke
Level 7
Hi,

I think i'm going to have to retun this device, as I can't find any clear solution to this issue.

I'm getting litterally 1000's of these errors. The laptop is frequently stuttering. Having searched the internet I've seen it suggested that I disable PCI Express > Link State Power Management. I have done this, and the issue persists. All drivers are up to date and so is the BIOS.

Details posted in the event log are below - Can anyone suggest a solution before I return the thing?

Thanks.

-------

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
Date: 10/11/2022 16:44:58
Event ID: 17
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: LOCAL SERVICE
Computer:
Description:
A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x2:0x4
Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_14B8&SUBSYS_1F921043&REV_00
Secondary Device Name:
Event Xml:

0x8000000000000000

System
LittleLappy

{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

0xdf
0x101
0x406
0x10
0x0
0x2
0x4
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x1022
0x14b8
0x30400
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x1100
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_14B8&SUBSYS_1F921043&REV_00

40 REPLIES 40

littlebloke wrote:
I know this is a long time coming, what with the Forums being down and the hoiday break. Just wanted to confirm that the new unit does not exibit the same issues and its running very well. I would encorage anyone who is getting these WHEA errors to return/replace your unit as defective, in the absence of any offical statement or guidence. In my experience it seems to be a hardware issue. Now I have a working device I can say that I'm happy with it! pretty awesome machine.

I have been following this thread because i noticed my device I purchased from best buy, a new ASUS rog flow
amd 9 6000 series
16gb ram
1tb

...also had thousands of WHEA logger event id 17 logs

What prompted me to check logs was uptime of 7 hours of on and off gaming. I encountered a BSOD that went away too quickly for me to catch stop code

I decided to exchange the unit as your post gave me hope after trying everything you all did.
Everything from :

• windows 11 updates,
  • driver updates,
  • bios updates,
  • device manager review (all different views - found no errors or warnings),

I didn't try the power management settings approach as that feels like more of a workaround than a solution.
I do not know if this error will continue to BSOD or worse down the line, or if it's even SOFTWARE or HARDWARE.

Please help or guide to any other threads please. I like this laptop and would hate to give up on it - I have limited time less than 30 days before my return window expires.

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
DatCheapy wrote:
I have been following this thread because i noticed my device I purchased from best buy, a new ASUS rog flow
amd 9 6000 series
16gb ram
1tb

What prompted me to check logs was uptime of 7 hours of on and off gaming. I encountered a BSOD that went away too quickly for me to catch stop code

I decided to exchange the unit as your post gave me hope after trying everything you all did.
Everything from :

• windows 11 updates,
  • driver updates,
  • bios updates,

I didn't try the power management settings approach as that feels like more of a workaround than a solution.
I do not know if this error will continue to BSOD or worse down the line, or if it's even SOFTWARE or HARDWARE.

Please help or guide to any other threads please. I like this laptop and would hate to give up on it - I have limited time less than 30 days before my return window expires.

If your laptop is newly purchased, I would recommend that you return or exchange the item with the dealer.

If you have purchased for a while,I would suggest you bring back your laptop to our service center.

The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/Service-Center-All-Countries/

Also you can contact the local service center for help.

http://www.asus.com/support/CallUs#

Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.

I have a rog flow x16 with 3070ti and 6900hs.
Here's what solved the whea 17 errors for me:
I put the original pcie4 nvme ssd to the other slot and the errors disappeared. It is still working in pcie4 mode, and there was no decrease in speed.
I put my other nvme ssd (which is a bit slower, not pcie4 compatible!!) to the other slot, where the factory one was.
And everything seems to work fine now, not getting whea 17 errors in the event viewer.
Also i changed the mediatek wifi card to an intel ax210, this did not solve the whea 17 errors but solved the bsods and other wifi errors.

So the issue might be with the factory nvme ssd slot when there's a pcie 4 ssd in it?

I called support and they opened a request ,i kept referring to this post and they were not understanding that this was a issue with multiple machines. They told me they could not approve my rma when i have only had the laptop for a few days. I returned and bought another unit from bestbuy but they only had 2 so now both of the units within driving range of me have the issue when plugged in .. I am willing to pay on my credit card to do a advanced rma i just want to make sure and verify that i will get one without the issue since i am wondering if this is a bestbuy configuration issue since i am curious if they all have it just most do not even know to check . This drasticaly reduces battery life btw since it disables c10 states and selective suspend as well as other apm features . I love the laptop and the flow units are the only computer that checks all boxes for me i have 2 strix scars and need something more portable and with better battery. I would love the x13 if i could upgrade the ram so if i cannot find a solution i may have to just return and hope the 2023 units become available soon . I dont understand how this is a thing and it seems qc is getting real bad as all 2023 duo reviewers complained of horrible battery and glitches. A 12th gen duo should not have double or more battery life then a amd version. Please advise if their is anything i can do to get a working unit or if you know when the 2023 units will be available in the US 

Hello, so I have recently bought the same laptop, the ROG Flow X16, the 2022 version, also form best buy, and it had these same issues with constant WHEA event 17 issues. I actually did return it for a new one, same issue still happening. Is there any update as far as what can be done about this? 

Thanks

DatCheapy wrote:
amd 9 6000 series
16gb ram
1tb

Everything from :

• windows 11 updates,
  • driver updates,
  • bios updates,

Hi There,

Same unit, same BIOS.

I would take Falcon@ROG's advice, as he is a moderator. You should replace it if you can, the unit should not be giving those errors. My replacement unit is performing very well with no WHEA errors. it does appear that the issue is hardware related. Best of luck to you!

Edit: I should add that I have 2 PCIe 4 m.2 SSD's occupying both slots, and not getting the errors.

My brand new Flow X16 ia also having thousands of WHEA 17 errors.

It was BSODing every couple of hours with a volmgr error too, swapping the NVME over to the other slot seems to have improved that, but made no difference to the WHEA issue.

This is a royal pita, I need the laptop for work, so can't just send it back to the supplier easily (they want to test etc before replacing or refunding).

I have aslo upgraded to 11 Pro already, so got the hassle of trying to move the windows licence if it gets replaced, anyone got any advice on that? Seems like that's pretty hit or miss.

It's a shame, my work were going to be buying a lot of these, but we've got three from different suppliers & they all have issues.

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
N4the wrote:
My brand new Flow X16 ia also having thousands of WHEA 17 errors.

It was BSODing every couple of hours with a volmgr error too, swapping the NVME over to the other slot seems to have improved that, but made no difference to the WHEA issue.

This is a royal pita, I need the laptop for work, so can't just send it back to the supplier easily (they want to test etc before replacing or refunding).

I have aslo upgraded to 11 Pro already, so got the hassle of trying to move the windows licence if it gets replaced, anyone got any advice on that? Seems like that's pretty hit or miss.

It's a shame, my work were going to be buying a lot of these, but we've got three from different suppliers & they all have issues.

According to what you described,Â*I would suggest you bring back your laptop to our service center forÂ*further confirmation.

https://www.asus.com/support/service-center-location

Also you can contact the local service center for help. The following is the contact information:
https://www.asus.com/support/CallUs#

Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.

I just received it back from the service centre, event logs are still full of exactly the same error. It's had a fresh windows load, & the errors started again immediately.  The  service centre are saying it passes all their bench tests, so there's nothing wrong with it, despite having tens of thousands of WHEA 17 errors a day. No help via the chat. phone tech support just told me to email it in, they won't or can't help, so now I need to fill out the web form, wait 2 days for a reply, get it collected again, then the service centre can just do exactly the same thing.  This is the worst customer servcie I have had for a long time...

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi all
I have forwarded the information to the relevant department. We will keep you updated and your consideration will be very much appreciated.