cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new ROG Flow X16 - 1000's of WHEA event 17 errors - Event log details...

littlebloke
Level 7
Hi,

I think i'm going to have to retun this device, as I can't find any clear solution to this issue.

I'm getting litterally 1000's of these errors. The laptop is frequently stuttering. Having searched the internet I've seen it suggested that I disable PCI Express > Link State Power Management. I have done this, and the issue persists. All drivers are up to date and so is the BIOS.

Details posted in the event log are below - Can anyone suggest a solution before I return the thing?

Thanks.

-------

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
Date: 10/11/2022 16:44:58
Event ID: 17
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: LOCAL SERVICE
Computer:
Description:
A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x2:0x4
Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_14B8&SUBSYS_1F921043&REV_00
Secondary Device Name:
Event Xml:

0x8000000000000000

System
LittleLappy

{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

0xdf
0x101
0x406
0x10
0x0
0x2
0x4
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x1022
0x14b8
0x30400
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x1100
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_14B8&SUBSYS_1F921043&REV_00

40 REPLIES 40

Falcon@ROG wrote:
Hi all
I have forwarded the information to the relevant department. We will keep you updated and your consideration will be very much appreciated.

Thanks Falcon, its appreciated.

Its a real shame, I absolutlly love the x16. But I really hope this is not an endemic issue and a solution can be found, because it makes a very expensive laptop something of a liability.

let us know if you are given any posible ways to resolve the problem, and also if i can provide any further information that may be of use 🙂

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
littlebloke wrote:
Thanks Falcon, its appreciated.

Its a real shame, I absolutlly love the x16. But I really hope this is not an endemic issue and a solution can be found, because it makes a very expensive laptop something of a liability.

let us know if you are given any posible ways to resolve the problem, and also if i can provide any further information that may be of use 🙂

Sorry for the late reply.

Confirmed by the technical unit, regarding the situation you reported, we would like to suggest you bring back your laptop to our repair center.

The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/Service-Center-All-Countries/

Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.

Hi Falcon,

I have arranged for a replaecment unit from the retailer, which will be delieverd next wednesday.

I will report back further when I have had the opportunity to test the new unit to see if it has the same issue.

Falcon@ROG wrote:
Sorry for the late reply.

Confirmed by the technical unit, regarding the situation you reported, we would like to suggest you bring back your laptop to our repair center.

The following is the contact information:
http://www.asus.com/support/Service-Center-All-Countries/

Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.

Here I wish you would share a bit of more information. What is exactly confirmed by the technical unit? What may be the fix - is it an issue with HW or SW? It would help sharing some more info's so anyone here can decide what to do with their unit. I read a lot about this in other forums and there is never any official details shared unfortunately.

I would prefer not sending the device in if it is not 100% sure it can be fixed by a BIOS/SW update.

For anyone who would like to try something that might help temporarily solving WHEA ID17 spam:
Today I tried to swap the Micron SSD from the left slot to the right slot (where the RAMs are located). That fixed it at least for me completely. It seems that there is a problem with the right PCIe slot above the WLAN card. Swapping it back to that slot brings back the WHEAs.

Could someone confirm this? My unit is the 601RW (Mini-LED unit).

Hodor wrote:
Here I wish you would share a bit of more information. What is exactly confirmed by the technical unit? What may be the fix - is it an issue with HW or SW? It would help sharing some more info's so anyone here can decide what to do with their unit. I read a lot about this in other forums and there is never any official details shared unfortunately.

I would prefer not sending the device in if it is not 100% sure it can be fixed by a BIOS/SW update.

For anyone who would like to try something that might help temporarily solving WHEA ID17 spam:
Today I tried to swap the Micron SSD from the left slot to the right slot (where the RAMs are located). That fixed it at least for me completely. It seems that there is a problem with the right PCIe slot above the WLAN card. Swapping it back to that slot brings back the WHEAs.

Wow, thats crazy! well not completly crazy... If my next unit comes with these errors I will try this.

Also agreed, it would be realy nice to have some kind of soid information as to what is causing this, how serious it is, etc.

Hodor wrote:

That's exactly what I did, as I wrote last week. However the PCIe Root Complex associated with the GPU started getting errors instead.

EDIT: Not exactly what I did, I just swapped out the SSD, not moved it.

So, does anyone have any clarity as to if this is a hardware fault or a patchable issue?

Does swapping out or moving SSDs make an appreciable difference, or are there still BSOD/stuffer/etc issues?

gunit
Level 7
I'm sending my unit back for the time being.

I want to be clear that the SSD root complex errors went away with replacing the SSD with an SX8200. However, this is when I noticed errors on the GPU root complex. That is to say that despite swapping out the SSD, I still had WHEA errors on the GPU when playing some games.

I can't recall whether these occurred with the Micron SSD in place.

I don't see it in the thread the exact model, apparently there are 3 different Rog Flow X16 from 2022

Not sure if that laptop is like their other systems, but many of the AMD supplied bios are lacking up to date AGESA microcode.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?127805-ASUS-Zenith-Extreme-WHEA-17-errors-on-Windows-11
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?113328-ASUS-X570-Event-17-WHEA-logger-warnings-fix-When/pa...

Patch885959 wrote:
I don't see it in the thread the exact model, apparently there are 3 different Rog Flow X16 from 2022

Not sure if that laptop is like their other systems, but many of the AMD supplied bios are lacking up to date AGESA microcode.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?127805-ASUS-Zenith-Extreme-WHEA-17-errors-on-Windows-11
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?113328-ASUS-X570-Event-17-WHEA-logger-warnings-fix-When/pa...

Thats useful info. Hopefully it is a BIOS related issue that can easily be addressed.