cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new ROG Flow X16 - 1000's of WHEA event 17 errors - Event log details...

littlebloke
Level 7
Hi,

I think i'm going to have to retun this device, as I can't find any clear solution to this issue.

I'm getting litterally 1000's of these errors. The laptop is frequently stuttering. Having searched the internet I've seen it suggested that I disable PCI Express > Link State Power Management. I have done this, and the issue persists. All drivers are up to date and so is the BIOS.

Details posted in the event log are below - Can anyone suggest a solution before I return the thing?

Thanks.

-------


Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
Date: 10/11/2022 16:44:58
Event ID: 17
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: LOCAL SERVICE
Computer:
Description:
A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x2:0x4
Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_14B8&SUBSYS_1F921043&REV_00
Secondary Device Name:
Event Xml:



17
1
3
0
0
0x8000000000000000

86940


System
LittleLappy



4
{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}


0xdf
4
0x101
0x406
0x10
0x0
0x2
0x4
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x1022
0x14b8
0x30400
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x1100
00000000000000000000000000000000
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_14B8&SUBSYS_1F921043&REV_00



12,635 Views
40 REPLIES 40

Hodor
Level 8
I have the exact same issue. Tried a lot of different things and figured out that it only happens when Power Adapter is connected to the laptop.
On battery the event is not triggered, as well when disabling PCIe via bcdedit /set pciexpress forcedisable (but not really helpful as it deactivates the dGPU).

Still hoping there will be a fix via driver/bios update, if not then I will return it.

Falcon2_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi all
Thank you for your asking. Please kindly provide the information below so that we can better assist you.
1. What is the BIOS and system version you are currently using?
2. Regarding "frequently stuttering", may I ask what kind of operations were you using the laptop for? (play games? listen to music?)
3. When the problem occurs, is it connected to adapter for use or not?
4. Have you ever replaced the SSD yourself before?
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.

Falcon@ROG wrote:
Hi all
Thank you for your asking. Please kindly provide the information below so that we can better assist you.
1. What is the BIOS and system version you are currently using?
2. Regarding "frequently stuttering", may I ask what kind of operations were you using the laptop for? (play games? listen to music?)
3. When the problem occurs, is it connected to adapter for use or not?
4. Have you ever replaced the SSD yourself before?
Sorry for any inconvenience it may be caused.


Hello Falcon,

1. Latest Bios v311
2. Stuttering happens when doing performant tasks such as many tasks open/updateing/gaming. It also happened to me that laptop randomly restarts and 1-2 times I also got blue screens. It is very random.
3. For me only when the adapter is connected. There is no WHEA/instability seen when working on battery.
4. I did not change anything in the internals, using the stock components like WIFI card/SSD and RAMs.

Actually the command bcdedit /set pciexpress forcedisable helped for me but I am not sure what kind of features it disables. I would like to understand what is the problem here first.

BR,
Hodor

My zephyrus duo 16 also has this error. The condition for this error is device is running in Optimus/Standard GPU mode, whenever the dGPU is called for task like playing games. One solution is switching MUX to dGPU/ Ultimate mode, the error doesn't happen.
Other solution is disabling the PCIE power saving which can work on desktop PC, but it isn't possible for laptop.

gunit
Level 7
I'm also getting loads of WHEA errors on my Flow x16, as well as occasional BSODs.

The errors come from root complexes associated with the SSD and GPU, which have the same vendor and device id of 1022:14B8.

When the BSODs occur, Windows was not able to produce a dump file, so I've been unable to get any information regarding what caused the crash. These typically have happened while idle when Windows update is doing it's thing. I've disabled auto-restart on crash but I've not been around to actually observe it happening. At this stage I'm unable to assess whether it's actually related.

I replaced the SSD with an SX8200 and the errors from it's respective complex completely disappeared. Interestingly, the SX8200 is a PCIe 3.0 device, but the included Micron 3400 is a PCIe 4.0 device.

I didn't observe any errors playing Skyrim or Frostpunk, however launching Deathloop triggers WHEA events when the main menu is reached.
I can also confirm that the errors don't appear to be produced while on battery, although I didn't play for very long.
Finally, setting the GPU mode to "ultimate" appears to have suppressed the errors, but again, I didn't play for very long.

It sounds to me like PCIe link management issues. I'd like to know (fairly quickly) whether this is a defective unit or it's just present in large numbers of them; I'd hate to replace it while my return window is still open and get exactly the same issues. If it's patchable i'd probably hang on.

Hi,

Just to add to this thread, issues persist here with the ROG Flow x16.

The PCI express root port reporting event 17s, is the one related to the Micron 3400 M.2.

I've had the device for 10 days and since it's within the return window have chosen to get a replacement. It's a PITA, but considering the cost of the unit I want to be sure I'm getting something that is not defective.

Thing is that it's causing the laptop to perform badly in some circumstances and crash in others, this is not acceptable for a device of this price and something that is going to be my workhorse for the next few years. If the next one has the same issues I'll get a refund. It's a shame as I absolutely love this device. The screen is just amazing.

The annoying thing about this issue is that there are posts everywhere but no clear solutions... Is it hardware/software or both? is the device defective or not? nothing seems to be clear. If this was understood a bit better, we'd know if to return the unit, wait for a patch (if its bearable) or whatever.

For what it's worth, these are the details:

1. - BIOS is 311 (was the same on 310), Windows 11 with the latest 22H2 update (auto updated when i was doing the initial setup of the device)
2. - Laptop issues occur randomly so it could be gaming, restarting the thing from sleep, or just doing desktop operations... for example BSOD while closing Adobe Acrobat.
3. - It is exhibited when the device is connected or disconnected
4. - The SSD has not been replaced

Image of event viewer showing detachment and re attachment of Power, and the Event 17s are just constant (up to 22! a second😞


96305

and the XML output:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
Date: 16/11/2022 18:28:41
Event ID: 17
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: LOCAL SERVICE
Computer:
Description:
A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus: Device:Function: 0x0:0x2:0x4
Secondary Bus: Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_14B8&SUBSYS_1F921043&REV_00
Secondary Device Name:
Event Xml:



17
1
3
0
0
0x8000000000000000

95402


System
LittleLappy



4
{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}


0xdf
4
0x101
0x406
0x10
0x0
0x2
0x4
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x1022
0x14b8
0x30400
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x1000
00000000000000000000000000000000
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_14B8&SUBSYS_1F921043&REV_00






Note that I have tried:

- The various available power modes available in AC
- Setting 'Link state power management' to OFF in the various power plans
- Completely resetting the device back to vanilla
- Doing every update I could find in Windows update, MyASUS and AC
- sfc /scannow and checkdisk commands in admin terminal window.


nothing done so far stops the events from occuring, but in some cases they are reduced. I still get random reboots, BSODs and momentary freezing on the desktop.

littlebloke wrote:
Hi,

Just to add to this thread, issues persist here with the ROG Flow x16.

The PCI express root port reporting event 17s, is the one related to the Micron 3400 M.2.

I've had the device for 10 days and since it's within the return window have chosen to get a replacement. It's a PITA, but considering the cost of the unit I want to be sure I'm getting something that is not defective.

Thing is that it's causing the laptop to perform badly in some circumstances and crash in others, this is not acceptable for a device of this price and something that is going to be my workhorse for the next few years. If the next one has the same issues I'll get a refund. It's a shame as I absolutely love this device. The screen is just amazing.

The annoying thing about this issue is that there are posts everywhere but no clear solutions... Is it hardware/software or both? is the device defective or not? nothing seems to be clear. If this was understood a bit better, we'd know if to return the unit, wait for a patch (if its bearable) or whatever.

For what it's worth, these are the details:

1. - BIOS is 311 (was the same on 310), Windows 11 with the latest 22H2 update (auto updated when i was doing the initial setup of the device)
2. - Laptop issues occur randomly so it could be gaming, restarting the thing from sleep, or just doing desktop operations... for example BSOD while closing Adobe Acrobat.
3. - It is exhibited when the device is connected or disconnected
4. - The SSD has not been replaced

Image of event viewer showing detachment and re attachment of Power, and the Event 17s are just constant (up to 22! a second😞


96305

and the XML output:

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
Date: 16/11/2022 18:28:41
Event ID: 17
Task Category: None
Level: Warning
Keywords:
User: LOCAL SERVICE
Computer:
Description:
A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus: Device:Function: 0x0:0x2:0x4
Secondary Bus: Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_14B8&SUBSYS_1F921043&REV_00
Secondary Device Name:
Event Xml:



17
1
3
0
0
0x8000000000000000

95402


System
LittleLappy



4
{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}


0xdf
4
0x101
0x406
0x10
0x0
0x2
0x4
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x1022
0x14b8
0x30400
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x0
0x1000
00000000000000000000000000000000
PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_14B8&SUBSYS_1F921043&REV_00






Note that I have tried:

- The various available power modes available in AC
- Setting 'Link state power management' to OFF in the various power plans
- Completely resetting the device back to vanilla
- Doing every update I could find in Windows update, MyASUS and AC
- sfc /scannow and checkdisk commands in admin terminal window.


nothing done so far stops the events from occuring, but in some cases they are reduced. I still get random reboots, BSODs and momentary freezing on the desktop.


Could you tell us if the issue is fixed with your new unit? I am also considering sending it back within my return period.
I just see a degredation of read/write speed of around the half at my SSD and MicroSD card compared to other review units. That would be definately a deal breaker to me. Spending that much of money for getting half speed is not acceptable.

Hodor wrote:
Could you tell us if the issue is fixed with your new unit? I am also considering sending it back within my return period.
I just see a degredation of read/write speed of around the half at my SSD and MicroSD card compared to other review units. That would be definately a deal breaker to me. Spending that much of money for getting half speed is not acceptable.


As soon as i get a replacemnt unit i will let you know (its likely to be sometime late next week).

I've also got to now try and see if I can move my extended warrenty to the new unit! Such is life! 😉

Hodor wrote:
Could you tell us if the issue is fixed with your new unit? I am also considering sending it back within my return period.
I just see a degredation of read/write speed of around the half at my SSD and MicroSD card compared to other review units. That would be definately a deal breaker to me. Spending that much of money for getting half speed is not acceptable.



I know this is a long time coming, what with the Forums being down and the hoiday break. Just wanted to confirm that the new unit does not exibit the same issues and its running very well. I would encorage anyone who is getting these WHEA errors to return/replace your unit as defective, in the absence of any offical statement or guidence. In my experience it seems to be a hardware issue. Now I have a working device I can say that I'm happy with it! pretty awesome machine.