cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brand new defective x571gt very bad experience with ASUS

N8LBV
Level 7
TLDR; BAD Laptop Asus has not fixed in 7 months.
Will not power up properly only keyboard lights come on and nothing else.

My primary reason for posting this here is that I cannot find anything else about this on this specific model and I am wondering if anyone
else has the same problem with the same laptop.
Maybe this will be helpful.

----

I'm in the middle of a nightmare with ASUS.

I am a very experienced computer technician.

On my recommendation I had a client of mine purchase a brand new x571gt Laptop computer and the end of Jan. 2019.
When It arrived I did a couple of quick checks on it to make sure it powered up and passed a few basic tests and put it away.

One month later my client was ready for it and I began the process of setting it all up for them.
I drove it over to them in my car and when I got there it would not power up properly.
Only the keyboard would light up. no display backlight no actual bootup and no capslock light activity.
Dead except for the keyboard backlight.

From that tried about everything and could only determine it was a defective unit.

Sometimes it will power up properly but very rarely and only if in a very warm room/environment.
Trying to power it up in a "cold" room (50 degrees F) made the problem show up the first time.

Spent a large time on the phone with ASUS explaining the problem also send them PAGES of what I had tested to determine that the unit is bad.

Got an RMA and sent it out to ASUS.
Waited almost two months for ASUS, they sent me multiple updates stating that the laptop needed replacement parts due to covid they cannot get the parts
for an extended period of time and to be patient.

After a long further wait I get an email update explaining again that replacement parts are still not available and that I could wait longer and they would extend my warranty 6 months or I could get my money back.

I opted to extend the warranty and repair or replace my customers laptop because we need the laptop and is why we bought it in the first place.

The very next day I get an email saying the laptop was shipped back to me with no explanation or anything on what was done.
I immediately sent an email response asking what was going on and what repair or what was done?

*No Response whatsoever*

5 days later the laptop shows up. and very poorly shipped and not very protected loose in a single box with thin padding and moving around in the single thin brown box. Nothing at all like what we had shipped it out in and protected it with.

Pulled it out of the box and hit the power button. Keyboard lights up and nothing else, no screen backlight no bootup. Dead! Same problem.

Small printout inside the box says: "Error in device manager Unit does not power on" "cleaning and reassembly of device solved the problem"

No!

I typed and printed out a two page document of the problem and what was tested!! and there was NEVER EVER any "error in device manager"
experienced or reported EVER.

So here I am pretty upset about the whole waste of time and money.
4 REPLIES 4

cl-Adrian
Level 8
N8LBV wrote:
TLDR; BAD Laptop Asus has not fixed in 7 months.
Will not power up properly only keyboard lights come on and nothing else.

My primary reason for posting this here is that I cannot find anything else about this on this specific model and I am wondering if anyone
else has the same problem with the same laptop.
Maybe this will be helpful.

----

I'm in the middle of a nightmare with ASUS.

I am a very experienced computer technician.

On my recommendation I had a client of mine purchase a brand new x571gt Laptop computer and the end of Jan. 2019.
When It arrived I did a couple of quick checks on it to make sure it powered up and passed a few basic tests and put it away.

One month later my client was ready for it and I began the process of setting it all up for them.
I drove it over to them in my car and when I got there it would not power up properly.
Only the keyboard would light up. no display backlight no actual bootup and no capslock light activity.
Dead except for the keyboard backlight.

From that tried about everything and could only determine it was a defective unit.

Sometimes it will power up properly but very rarely and only if in a very warm room/environment.
Trying to power it up in a "cold" room (50 degrees F) made the problem show up the first time.

Spent a large time on the phone with ASUS explaining the problem also send them PAGES of what I had tested to determine that the unit is bad.

Got an RMA and sent it out to ASUS.
Waited almost two months for ASUS, they sent me multiple updates stating that the laptop needed replacement parts due to covid they cannot get the parts
for an extended period of time and to be patient.

After a long further wait I get an email update explaining again that replacement parts are still not available and that I could wait longer and they would extend my warranty 6 months or I could get my money back.

I opted to extend the warranty and repair or replace my customers laptop because we need the laptop and is why we bought it in the first place.

The very next day I get an email saying the laptop was shipped back to me with no explanation or anything on what was done.
I immediately sent an email response asking what was going on and what repair or what was done?

*No Response whatsoever*

5 days later the laptop shows up. and very poorly shipped and not very protected loose in a single box with thin padding and moving around in the single thin brown box. Nothing at all like what we had shipped it out in and protected it with.

Pulled it out of the box and hit the power button. Keyboard lights up and nothing else, no screen backlight no bootup. Dead! Same problem.

Small printout inside the box says: "Error in device manager Unit does not power on" "cleaning and reassembly of device solved the problem"

No!

I typed and printed out a two page document of the problem and what was tested!! and there was NEVER EVER any "error in device manager"
experienced or reported EVER.

So here I am pretty upset about the whole waste of time and money.

My name is Adrian from the ASUS Customer Loyalty Team here at our North America Corporate Office. Please email me with the below details so I can work with related personnel to get this straightened out.

Product S/N:
RMA #:
Address:
Full name:
Phone#:
Email:

My email is cl-adrian@asus.com.:

cl-Adrian@asus wrote:
My name is Adrian from the ASUS Customer Loyalty Team here at our North America Corporate Office. Please email me with the below details so I can work with related personnel to get this straightened out.

Product S/N:
RMA #:
Address:
Full name:
Phone#:
Email:

My email is cl-adrian@asus.com.:

Thanks Adrian, I will be emailing you shortly.

And you can probably see that my forum post is dual purpose.
1. Short term to express my frustration with the level of service and complete lack of repair and proper testing after I took my time to detail the problem with support to an extreme.

2. To help anyone else that may be having the same problem with this model once mine is fixed and I find out what failed and why.

Steve

N8LBV
Level 7
Email sent today with requested information.

They likely sent you a laptop that was previously RMAed by someone else. FYI Asus has some of the worst customer support in the whole tech industry.

Quotes from laptop enthusiast, D2Ultima from Notebookreview forum:

"ASUS models have extremely poor QA and QC. Their post-sale service and any attempt to get information about their own models from them is extremely difficult and often times futile. They've been known to use parts from previously-returned laptops to "fix" RMA'd ones. People would return their machines, be without it for weeks, and get it back with USB ports not working or the screen not turning on, etc. Their last gen top end model had garbage for thermal paste and needed removal of a plastic strip at the bottom to actually give the fans decent access to air before its cooling would actually do something......Also, their warranty is so easily broken it's a joke. I've seen a user change his HDD from slot 1 to slot 2 because it was blocking the M.2 slot in slot 1, and they killed the warranty on the ENTIRE system as a result. Just from swapping the slot the HDD was in. It's not a joke, and it's not funny......Their machines also need a full teardown, often taking hours, just to access the heatsinks and fans for cleaning (this also breaks warranty)"

"Their quality control is absolute garbage. Even had laptops where the CPU fan wasn't plugged in, and the machine wouldn't shut down because there's no catch in the BIOS for it. Their post sale service is even worse. Trying to get information out of them or getting a proper RMA is simply a matter of luck if you find a halfway decent tech, and there's way too many horror stories out there about it. Their design is traditionally anti-consumer, usually needing nearly a full teardown to do something as simple as repasting or cleaning the fans. Airflow is often pretty bad too. BIOSes are locked down with lots of artificial ASUS limitations in place; there's no mods for these. Their software is pretty crap too, sometimes overvolting the CPU pretty badly. Their top end laptops are extremely expensive too, and for no real reason. Better can be had for cheaper elsewhere in almost any cases, unless you find their products on a pretty big sale somewhere (but that also means locked-in specs with un-named SSDs etc, usually crappy ones, so that's not even that desirable). Find some notebook enthusiasts and the answer they'll generally give you is that they've never really found any ASUS models a very good purchase choice"