cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B660-I: Performance drop with voltage offset/undervolting

Shosiu
Level 8
Hi,
This issue has been initially described in another thread but I decided to start a separate one.
I noticed on my B660-I Gaming, that any negative voltage offset causes noticeable negative performance impact.
As the example - results of Cinebench R23 (multithreaded)
stock settings: 12700 points
0.05 voltage offset: 12200 points
0.08 voltage offset: 7100 points.

This issue is not present on other Asus B660 motherboards - it's working properly on B660M Plus.
It doesn't matter if APE is enabled or not - CPU performance is affected.

My CPU is i5 12500.

It would be good, if someone from Asus tech team compares the behavior of those two motherbaords and make a fix for B660-I as currently undervolting on this motherboard doesn't work at all.

Thanks.
95 REPLIES 95

Shosiu
Level 8
Hi,
Please update to 2012. Regarding undervolting, for me there was no difference if it was 1620 or 2012.

When it comes for suggestion on MSI forum, there is one problem: on our boards there are no CPU Lite Load.

Shosiu wrote:
Hi,
Please update to 2012. Regarding undervolting, for me there was no difference if it was 1620 or 2012.

When it comes for suggestion on MSI forum, there is one problem: on our boards there are no CPU Lite Load.

Still crashes on boot for me on 1620 when VRM voltage set to offset -0.050 V on 12700K. APE disabled (PL 190W).

XTU and Throttlestop both dont undervolt, is this Windows 11 or normal with this board?

trihy
Level 9
Another user reported performance loss on another b660 some time ago. B660m plus

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?129991-Bug-in-B660-bios-Load-Line-Calibration

Since I have the same mb, im wondering if this happens only with some cpu models.

trihy
Level 9
1620 doesn't have freeze fix when undervolting, unless you use the fixed 1620 that Asus sent to some users.

Oh ok, thank you.
Although I will probably rather wait for a newer BIOS that hopefully fixes the performance problem.

Shosiu, out of curiosity are you testing with CEP disabled?

Shosiu
Level 8
Hi
I had all CEP options (all two) set on Auto.
Are you referring to particular one or all?

Shosiu wrote:
Hi
I had all CEP options (all two) set on Auto.
Are you referring to particular one or all?

both. can you set to disabled and test if you have time?

Shosiu
Level 8
Hi,
I've just tested and results in Cinebench R23 are as follows:

• CEP disabled, APE Enabled, 0.05V Undervolting: 5900 points
  • CEP disabled, APE Disabled, 0.05V Undervolting: 11900 points
  • CEP disabled, APE Disabled, 0.07V Undervolting: 8200 points

I've searched through internet and people are generally having issue with undervolting of non-K CPUs for Intel 12th gen.
What I also found is that only MSI found a way to undervolt through option called CPU Lite Load Control, but we don't have it on Asus motherbords.

trihy
Level 9