cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

B450-F Red q-code LED Help please

Esskay
Level 7
So, I've either burned my CPU, ram or corrupted my bios, which one do you think it is?

My pc was having latency issues for the past 5 years. Someone suggested on the forums to +0.300 core soc and +0.05 for ram voltage. I tried it, it worked fine for like 20 minutes, then my pc rebooted and it said something like: CPU overheat error or something. I pressed F1 to go to my bios and reset to default.

Booting back to windows I get a blue screen. Can't remember what the error was. So I rebooted it a couple of more times and got bsod again.

I tried plugging in my usb to reinstall windows, in the bios I selected the wrong boot option (non uefi option) so I was like oh no, and pressed the reset switch. After that my pc doesn't boot. It just shows the red light (q-code led) on the motherboard (CPU fault according to Google).

I tried doing all the usual stuff. Reset the cmos, try 1 ram at a time, reseat the cpu. Nothing made a difference.

The cpu feels hot to touch.

Any help? Thanks
5 REPLIES 5

JohnAb
Level 17
I don't overclock any more, so I'm a bit out of touch, but adding 0.30V on the CPU seems like a lot to me. Think I would try and reseat the CPU as high heat (could) have caused a poor contact. I hope that's all it might be, but otherwise I suspect that your CPU might not be very well at all 😞

Other folks here might be able to tell you if the CPU might have been damaged or how likely it is. I think about 1.35V would often be considered a 'safe' maximum. What voltage did you take it up to? I'm assuming you have a 2600X right?
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb wrote:
I don't overclock any more, so I'm a bit out of touch, but adding 0.30V on the CPU seems like a lot to me. Think I would try and reseat the CPU as high heat (could) have caused a poor contact. I hope that's all it might be, but otherwise I suspect that your CPU might not be very well at all 😞

Other folks here might be able to tell you if the CPU might have been damaged or how likely it is. I think about 1.35V would often be considered a 'safe' maximum. What voltage did you take it up to? I'm assuming you have a 2600X right?

Hello, yes my specs are up to date. Like I mentioned in the OP, I already tried reseating the CPU. It didn't work. I'm not sure what the final voltage was. I think it was something like 1.45

JohnAb
Level 17
By the way, you're in the Z690/Z790 forums here, so you might get better advice elsewhere - more people with similar hardware. I hope your CPU is still alive.
Z690 Hero, BIOS 3401, MEI 2345.5.3.0, ME Firmware 16.1.30.2361, 7000X Case, RM1000x PSU, i9 12900K, ASUS TUF OC 3090TI, 2 x 16GB Corsair RAM @ 5200MHz, Windows 11 Pro 23H2, Corsair H150i Elite AIO, 4x Corsair RGB fans, 3x M.2 NVME drives, 2x SATA SSDs, 2x SATA HDs.

JohnAb
Level 17
Hard to say what the problem is for sure, but I think you will need to swap out components until you find the problem.

Some people mention taking your CPU up to 1.45 or even 1.50V for short periods but that's right at the top end and I'd be worried to go that high personally. Maybe the chances of a damaged CPU are 50/50. Can you get another CPU to try? Sorry that I don't have any further ideas, it's just going to be a case of trying another CPU I think and then you will know if that's the problem.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, Esskay.

The CPU LED light is always ON after powering on, which indicates no CPU or a faulty CPU.
Please refer to the link below to troubleshoot the related issue and check if you have missed any steps.
[Motherboard] ASUS motherboard troubleshooting via Q-LED indicators >> https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042678/
[Motherboard] Troubleshooting - No Power/No Boot/No Display >> https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1042632/
If you have completed all the troubleshooting steps, including testing with minimal components, but still can't boot, please try to cross-test another CPU.

Thank you.