Asus z690-e - code 97 - black screen

Jules1234
Level 7
I have recently built a new PC
i9 12900k,
32gb 4800 DDR5
3080TI AORUS 12gb MASTER
ASUS Z690-E

the machine was working fine for couple of days, then had some issues with crashing during games,
reinstalled windows on new M2 Kingston 3000, only installed armoury crate and an older version of drivers for Nvdia

crashed again, this time it no longer reboots with GPU connected, only displays CODE 97, Console Output Devices Connect

if i unplug GPU i can boot into bios and windows using onboard graphics, if i plug GPU in , i always get code 97.

have flashed the bios to latest bios, ran memtest86 5 times, first time showed some errors on test 7, cpu5, but then after retesting each ram stick individually on each channel and then retesting them both together, so 4 full tests, no errors found.

have tried changing settings across the bios to see if makes any difference, and no change to code 97 when GPU plugged in.

tech support at company i bought graphics card from , said to try XMP profile, disable if enabled or enable if disabled, but in the bios the only option i have for XMP is disabled.

I have seen many people having similar issues with 30 series cards, and not sure if it is GPU, motherboard, or something else.

i was wondering if anyone had similar experience and was able to fix this issue?
14 REPLIES 14

Jules1234
Level 7
i thought i had solved the issue

, it seems to be a conflict between the M2 slot and the GPU being used , i moved the m2 drive to the bottom of the board rather than the connector by the CPU and it booted straight away.

but after installing graphics drivers, PC froxe, then blue screened and now i have the same 97 code when booting with GPU plugged in.

Jules1234 wrote:
i thought i had solved the issue

, it seems to be a conflict between the M2 slot and the GPU being used , i moved the m2 drive to the bottom of the board rather than the connector by the CPU and it booted straight away.

but after installing graphics drivers, PC froxe, then blue screened and now i have the same 97 code when booting with GPU plugged in.

Does the bottom mean M.2_2 or M.2_3? M.2_2 uses 12th Gen lanes, M.2_3 uses the z690 chipset.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Jules1234,
May I double confirm it is still no boot and you get qcode 97 with GPU plugged in after moved the m2 drive to the bottom?
Have you tried other GPU and install other GPU?
Does it also occur on bios 0811 with bios all default settings?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Jules1234,
May I double confirm it is still no boot and you get qcode 97 with GPU plugged in after moved the m2 drive to the bottom?
Have you tried other GPU and install other GPU?
Does it also occur on bios 0811 with bios all default settings?
Thank you.

i had a similar situation on my maximus z690 formula, running G.skill trident z5 6000mhz but with 3 Samsung 980pro's in raid 0, and not running xmp either, i had bios 0811 loaded before i installed windows 11. when windows was loaded it blue screened then it had literally crashed so hard it was in a boot loop throwing errors on the lcd display of check cpu, check hdd check gpu, ect ect, even the fault code readout would not show a code as it will be cycling codes even when i managed to get into the bios the bios crashed (froze) mouse wont move unable to change drop down zilch.

i downgraded the bios to 0803 same issue, only one that worked was 0702 at the moment so far, it is a shame i can't even put on a xmp i or ii as that will cause it to crash as well, i double checked the ram compatibility on the qualified vender chart and it is compatible.

i hope this is so help to get the bios situation resolved as of many other on different motherboards models have a similar issues,

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi matbry01,
Was it working fine with the same components?
Did it occur after update bios 0811 with bios all default settings?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi matbry01,
Was it working fine with the same components?
Did it occur after update bios 0811 with bios all default settings?
Thank you.

hiya, i was working fine after the 0811 update on default settings up until the 3rd boot one morning it threw a blue screen and that is when all hell broke loose then all of the above happened. 😞

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi matbry01,
Thank you for your reply.
If you remove SSDs and update to bios 0811 again with bios all default settings, is bios still crashed (froze) mouse wont move?
If it is fine without SSDs, please install SSDs and then try again.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi matbry01,
Thank you for your reply.
If you remove SSDs and update to bios 0811 again with bios all default settings, is bios still crashed (froze) mouse wont move?
If it is fine without SSDs, please install SSDs and then try again.
Thank you.

hiya, that is interesting to know on that way of doing it, i will be re plumbing the system soon so i will pull the ssd's out and re update it then and get back to you on the out come. but that still does not make any sense to me as of why i have no issues on my old 9900k setup that was also in raid and could still update that bios with no problems what so ever.

is it just so be that the 12th gen kit is just ever so picky on how it works ?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi matbry01,
There are various caused about the blue screen issue, but you also mentioned the bios crashed (froze), so remove the SSDs would be a way to reduce the cause from the SSDs.
Thank you.