cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Z690 APEX - Q-code 53 when restarting but never on cold boot.

fumap
Level 7
Hi,

So I'm having this weird issue I can't seem to find a solution for. I have a Z690 Apex with a 12900K (I removed any OC to crosscheck if it was that issue). I have a Corsair Vengeance kit DDR5 at 5600MHz (yes, not on QVL but it's the same memory chip and speeds as other QVL modules).

My system works perfectly fine except when I want to restart. On cold boots and shutdowns everything works fine. On every restart the board get stuck to Q-code 53. Only solution is to reset with the power button and do another cold boot from scratch. Anyone ever had the same issue? Any solution?

I'm running latest BIOS 1101 but any previous one had the same issue. I ran MemTest86 and memory is absolutely stable. Tried to search for a similar issue but when I searc for Q-code 53 I only find tons of threads about the Hero board...

Thanks for any input!
43 REPLIES 43

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi aarruda,
If you just install one stick of ram, does it also occur? Please try the each ram stick.
Please try with bios all default settings(without XMP) to see if the issue only occurs when overclock.
Also, if your ram model is F5-6400J3239G16GX2-TZ5RK, it seems it is not in our QVL list.
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z690-apex-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory
To make sure compatibility, please use the model in our QVL list.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi aarruda,
If you just install one stick of ram, does it also occur? Please try the each ram stick.
Please try with bios all default settings(without XMP) to see if the issue only occurs when overclock.
Also, if your ram model is F5-6400J3239G16GX2-TZ5RK, it seems it is not in our QVL list.
https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-maximus/rog-maximus-z690-apex-model/helpdesk_qvl_memory
Thank you.

Hello...

Today I formatted the computer again... I reinstalled the last bios (1601) and I didn't install the Armory Crate updates (Aura lighting effect)... I've had the machine since 11 am and the problem has not occurred. From what I've been able to extract, so far, is that, it seems, the problem is caused by some kind of synchronization with the RGB (the problem, last time, had started, strangely, after installing Aura Wallpaper and playing Division 2 ).
I will continue monitoring and if it happens again, I will test without XMP.
Strangely, this error occurred and became verifiable after playing Division 2 for half an hour, when the memory temperature field in hwinfo64 suddenly goes dark (wasn't monitoring). After this happened, it was 100% sure that if the machine was restarted, the code q-53 would occur.
However, if I turned off the machine and turned it on again, it would start normally, which is even weirder.
This seems to me to be a problem in the Bios (in the software, either overclocking the memory or synchronizing the RGB lights).

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi aarruda,
Thank you.

Hi...

I am still getting error... Finally, I've disabled XMP and still get the same problem. I do not know what is the problem because i tested memory in PassMark MemTest86 and it was aproved.
What do you think is the problem?

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi aarruda,
Thank you.

Update:

After formatting the computer twice and testing each module individually in each motherboard dimm module (Dimm 1 and 2), I believe I have reached a conclusion. One of the modules has a problem. First, because with the faulty reference module, when i am playing the game, in addition to crashing right away, also presents the problem described in Hwinfo (thermal sensors freeze after some time, which causes error Q-53 when restarting Windows - Error q-53 is referenced a memory error).
The other module, in addition to not having crashed in the game, also did not show any failure in Hwinfo64, besides at working in XPM mode, that is, the sensor continued operating normally, even after a high workload in XPM 1. I think, when the 2 modules are working togheter, if one fails, i think it disable the thermal sensor of the two modules.
I will continue monitoring, but at first, after three days of consecutive tests, that's it, the problem is in one of the modules, since the other, so far, worked alone and without errors, even with XMP 1 activated...
So, I contacted G Skill for RMA and I will cancel my RMA with Asus. Any news or changes to the scenario, notice here.
Thanks for your attention Mr. Moderator.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi aarruda,
Thank you for your update.
Hope everything's good after RMA your ram.

Hello everyone here I came across this bug a little while ago I tested all the RAM sticks impossible to reboot I get stuck on "detect memory" then I realized that by disabling corsair Icue more than problem the pc restarts perfectly. The problem is that I use a Corsair keyboard and mouse so I have to use the Software I had never had this problem and corsair had the wonderful idea of ​​not going through the SPD Write anymore so it was impossible to do reboot under windows I had to go back to an earlier version of icue so that it no longer sees the ram with the SPD write deactivated.

CPU: i9 12900k
Motherboard: ROG MAXIMUS Z690 EXTREME
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinium RGB 32GB (2X16GB) DDR5 5200 MHz (CMT32GX5M2B5200C38)

At first I thought it was a hardware failure but if the problem only appears when Corsair iCue is launched, do we agree that the problem comes from the software? thank you

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Ily3ss59,
If there is no issue after disabling or uninstalling Corsair Icue, please consult Corsair about the software.
Thank you.

Ok thank you I turn to the corsair forum even if I think that no solution will arrive it's really **** their corsair icue :mad::mad::mad:

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Ily3ss59,
If there is no issue after disabling or uninstalling Corsair Icue, please consult Corsair about the software.
Thank you.

I come back because after doing several tests it does not come from corsair iCue

I removed the RAMs from DIMM port A2 and B2 and I only plugged one into A1 and no more rebooting problems do you think it's the CM that has the problem?

Could it be from the motherboard? if yes I don't understand why I had no error on Memtest86 or is it the DIMM ports that have taken a nasty blow? asus after sales service?:(:(:(

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Ily3ss59,
Is it working when only one RAM stick in B2 slot only?
Could you please help to try another RAMs in our qvl list to see if also get q-code 53 when they are in A2 and B2 slots?
Thank you.