cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS support product damage accusations

Woomack
Level 7
This is not the first time I have a situation like this with ASUS support, but this time it's too much ... and what's more, I have no idea what to do with that.

Today I received info from the support that ASUS rejected my RMA because I damaged pins in the socket. Below is a photo of the "damaged socket" that I took before shipping the motherboard to RMA. I take photos of all ASUS products before RMA as I had similar problems in the past.

This is Strix Z690-I Gaming WIFI, so not cheap motherboard. RMA was because the motherboard is crashing in every stability test, RAM, CPU, FPU, mixed tests, anything randomly. If the socket is somehow damaged then it's not visible and the problem had to be in the product as I wasn't using it for longer.

Some months ago, I sent Crosshair VIII Impact to RMA because it wasn't stable with higher wattage CPUs. Support told me I damaged the PCB when there was a little scratch on the hidden part of the audio module's PCB (it's a M.2 type card). The module was never removed but support still made me pay for the repair. The scratch was 1mm long and the trace wasn't even damaged. Not to mention what CPU stability has to do with add-on audio module? It was 100% stable with 5700G but not with 5900X.

I will only add that I buy ASUS motherboards for hardware tests/reviews as my contacts don't include ASUS, so I can't get review samples of this brand. In short, I'm using ASUS and somehow promote this brand in various reviews and as a reward I lose my money. Sounds pretty stupid that I do that for longer years but I always thought that ASUS is the best brand for my needs. Recently I got 2 faulty ASUS Apex motherboards, 2 failed RMA and some more problems.
23 REPLIES 23

This is what I received from the store support - they got this from ASUS as proof but it proves nothing.

This is the photo sent by ASUS support - the socket is in perfect condition, all pins are in straight line etc.

This is the photo sent by ASUS support where they marked the "damage". As you can see the CPU "key" causes shades exactly in the 2 spots which are marked (the way how the light reflects on the socket pins but passes these 2 spots). The same effect is on the other side of the socket on my photos posted in this thread - because of a different light angle. We thought they meant the area in the center while they marked the sides. How can this be proof of the user's damage?

Btw. the store support said that ASUS actually said that the paid repair would cost 25 EUR (which would be even acceptable considering the motherboard cost). However, they don't offer paid repairs because of the components shortage as all parts go to the warranty repairs. Should I assume they void warranties and look for problems that don't exist because of the components shortage? (this maybe isn't the right assumption but clearly the end user may think this way).

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Woomack,
Please send the motherboard to our RMA again and share the new RMA number to me.
I'll inform our local RMA center to check it again.
Thank you.

Woomack
Level 7
In your zoomed photo the last line is straight. In my last photo, the last line is a bit "moved". The light is causing shades so that's another thing. Pins are exactly where are CPU pads and the CPU works. As I said before, it looks like something else is causing the stability problem, not pins, but it wasn't checked. Count that most, if not all pins have multiple the same values and connections so if one doesn't have a perfect contact then others cover that.

I'm sorry that you have to go through this bs.

I have been an Asus fanboy for over 20 years until I had to deal with their support recently (from official website, not in here, people in here are awesome).

Not only they haven't been helpful, but I would bet real money some of their agents misled me intentionally to not lose face for giving me incorrect information originally. It's absolutely mind-blowing how they made me go through hell/anxiety for something that required level 1 support resolution. A bot would have done a better job. I don't know how exactly their system track email exchanges but my god, if you are dealing with them, don't send them emails, use their chat support instead because you're going to get trolled heavily in a loop where the simplest information will never reach higher level support correctly.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Woomack,
Is your serial number M9MCFM00419***V?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Woomack,
Is your serial number M9MCFM00419***V?
Thank you.

Hi STARRAIN,

Yes, that's correct.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Woomack,
I'll consult our team more about your case.
Thank you.

Woomack
Level 7
Hi STARRAIN,

Thank you. I will send the motherboard today, but it has to pass the store support, so I guess it will take some days.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Woomack,
I understand there is some internal process in the store. Once the store helps to create RMA, please share me the RMA number for tracking.
Thank you for your help.

Woomack
Level 7
The store received one RMA for more products - CZA1N51878 and the serial number which was already in previous posts.
The package should arrive at ASUS support in 1-2 days (it will be shipped today).