cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus support please respond? Issue w/ last 3 bios versions

sdmf74
Level 11
I have an 11900K / Maximus 13 Hero & this issue has persisted through several bios versions! I use Adaptive OC method for all overclocking

If anyone from Asus sees this please respond, Im curious if you are aware of this issue. Last night I flashed from Bios 1601 to the new 1701 & immediately performed a basic 52x All Core OC & set all the necessary Bios settings. I did Everything correctly even made sure to set optimized defaults before & after I flashed the Bios.

I SPECIFICALLY MADE SURE TO SET "PCI EXPRESS NATIVE POWER MANAGEMENT" & "NATIVE ASPM" TO DISABLED! & EVEN DOUBLE CHECKED RIGHT BEFORE I SAVED THE PROFILE IN BIOS & MADE SURE TO SAVE & EXIT TO WINDOWS.
I powered down my PC & went to bed & when I just now powered on my PC tonight I noticed once again that HWINFO64 had hundreds of WHEA ERRORS & the event viewer also shows a ton of WHEA LOGGER EVENT ID 17 Errors! Please see my screenshot below?

The thing is I have had this same exact issue in at least the last 3 Bios Versions 1402 (maybe even earlier), 1601 & finally 1701! Each time hoping the new bios would fix the issue but it still persists. As I said I have to always keep HWINFO64 open on my secondary monitor cause I never know when ASPM will automatically enable itself & produce hundreds of WHEA errors! It happens at random. Im not even sure why it produces errors when its enabled? My overclocks are 100% stable.

I got this definition from ROG.ASUS DOT COM in an Asus written overclocking guide:

"PCI-Express Power Management
Advanced\ Platform Misc Configuration\ PCI Express Native Power Management is recommended to be DISABLED to prevent PCI Express devices from entering standby state to enhance both the device compatibility and performance as not all desktop based PCI Express devices support ASPM specification."

According to the definition the above 2 settings should be disabled but why are they causing windows errors? And why would they randomly automatically enable after being disabled & saving the bios before exiting?
BTW I do a clean install of windows every 6-12 months & just performed a clean install literally 3 days ago. Thanks!

If anyone else has had this same issue please reply

ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA
6 REPLIES 6

sdmf74
Level 11
I guess ASUS wants nothing to do with this issue, its unfortunate & obviously will never be investigated or fixed considering its been ignored for pretty much the life of ROG Z590!

sdmf74 wrote:
I guess ASUS wants nothing to do with this issue, its unfortunate & obviously will never be investigated or fixed considering its been ignored for pretty much the life of ROG Z590!

This problem is common in a lot of Ausus Mobo, from a long time.
When you modify some setting, the bios also altered the ASPM settings for no reason. You can check before saving on the list of changed settings.
It is plain dumb, but it is happens.
Only workaround I've found is to disable again ASPM settings before saving.

Mazzy80 wrote:
This problem is common in a lot of Ausus Mobo, from a long time.
When you modify some setting, the bios also altered the ASPM settings for no reason. You can check before saving on the list of changed settings.
It is plain dumb, but it is happens.
Only workaround I've found is to disable again ASPM settings before saving.

Thats strange Ive ONLY owned ROG motherboards since like the Maximus V Formula and Ive never had this issue before the 13 hero.
It would be ridiculous to have to check last modified settings every time before you exit the bios. I cant tell you how many times Ive had to
go into the bios just to disable this setting when I did NOT enable it.

Perhaps if ASUS would have it disabled by default on EVERY bios we wouldnt have this issue!!

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Can you confirm whether the errors occur at complete operating defaults?
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent_Scone@ROG wrote:
Can you confirm whether the errors occur at complete operating defaults?

Sorry No, I havent bothered to set to defaults. Its so random that I would need to leave my bios on defaults for an undeternined amount of time but I dont see the relevance. If it happens with an overclock it will probably occur at default also & deternining which of the hundreds of settings (if one was causing it) would be nearly impossible for the end user.
I was hoping the bios team could figure it out since its a problem with the bios?

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
It would be easier to diagnose the issue if we know that stock is running okay.