cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS STRIX Z690 WFI D4 - Does not boot M2 NVME SSD

edmond2016
Level 7
Greetings! When using my computer wihout a dedicated GPU instead using the 12700k Intel UHD 770 Graphics it doesnt boot. In BIOS my drives are detected ie Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Seagate HDD 2TB and Seagate HDD 500GB but cant change the boot priority option. Im able to boot the NVME M2 SSD if I used a dedicated GPU and turning the CSM to enable but without a dedicated GPU only the CPU's GPU I am unable. All you help is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Processor: Intel Core I7 12700K
Motherboard: ASUS Strix Z690 Wifi D4
M2 NVME SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
All drivers including Bios is up to date
7 REPLIES 7

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi edmond2016,
Do you mean if you use a dedicated GPU, you can enable CSM to boot into OS, but if you use iGPU, it only enter bios and can't enable CSM and change the boot priority option?
Did you install OS with a dedicated GPU? Have you tired with other M.2 NVME SSD?
Does it also occur on bios 1404 with bios all default settings?
May I have a video about the issue with iGPU and how you try to change the boot priority option?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi edmond2016,
Do you mean if you use a dedicated GPU, you can enable CSM to boot into OS, but if you use iGPU, it only enter bios and can't enable CSM and change the boot priority option?
Did you install OS with a dedicated GPU? Have you tired with other M.2 NVME SSD?
Does it also occur on bios 1404 with bios all default settings?
May I have a video about the issue with iGPU and how you try to change the boot priority option?
Thank you.

Hi, thanks for the response, 1. Yes, 2. Yes in my previous Build I use a Asus Strix GTX960, 3. Ill Check. 4. Heres the vids. Thanks again.

edmond2016 wrote:
Hi, thanks for the response, 1. Yes, 2. Yes in my previous Build I use a Asus Strix GTX960, 4. Ill Check. R. Heres the vids. Thanks again.

With dedicated GPU: https://youtu.be/W2PLxQRZn4A
Using intel GPU: https://youtu.be/E3V-Ivki26U

Thanks.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi edmond2016,
Thank you for your video.
Please remove other drives and only install the M.2 NVME SSD to check again.
If it is still cannot boot into windows and not showing in boot priority with iGPU, please backup your personal file, to reinstall OS with GPT format and try again. or try another GPT format M.2 NVME SSD to reinstall OS.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi edmond2016,
If it is still cannot boot into windows and not showing in boot priority with iGPU, please backup your personal file, to reinstall OS with GPT format and try again. or try another GPT format M.2 NVME SSD to reinstall OS.
Thank you.

Thank you, will try this the soonest time I can and will update here after, thank you very much.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi edmond2016,
Thank you.

Thank! Problem fixed! I just reformat my CPU. Maybe the problem is that because I migrated my old OS from my old system to my newer system.
This videos might also help others: Reformatting using USB
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abpAPQH1RsI&t=396s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqGz6_php74

Thanks again.

DarWinGame
Level 7
edmond2016 wrote:
Greetings! When using my computer wihout a dedicated GPU instead using the 12700k Intel UHD 770 Graphics it doesnt boot. In BIOS my drives are detected ie Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB, Seagate HDD 2TB and Seagate HDD 500GB but cant change the boot priority option. Im able to boot the NVME M2 SSD if I used a dedicated GPU and turning the CSM to enable but without a dedicated GPU only the CPU's GPU I am unable. All you help is highly appreciated. Thank you.

Processor: Intel Core I7 12700K
Motherboard: ASUS Strix Z690 Wifi D4
M2 NVME SSD: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB
All drivers including Bios is up to date

You have to enable CSM Legacy devices in BIOS. Hit DEL key on boot, then F7 for Easy, then change CSM to Enable. Then it will boot from the M2 SSD the Motherboard sees. Have had to do this for my last 4 builds, very annoying that ASUS doesn't make this easier. I have no idea what CSM does or why we have to do this when using the latest HW. Just built a Z790 with 13th gen and latest M2, stumped me for hours tying to figure out why it wouldn't boot from the cloned M2 from the old PC. Finally recalled this step from 2 years ago, booted right up.