cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Service Center Dissatisfaction Rant

Nalax
Level 7
Hi to all that finds this forum, I have a bone to pick with ASUS Support Center and a need to rant my frustrations here.

Around a month ago I purchased a ASUS ROG Gaming notebook, GL702VS model. The laptop itself was a great investment, at first, and played any game in my gaming library well. I was enjoying using this laptop, even thinking about replacing a smaller notebook of mine with an ASUS brand, before I began experiencing problems with my notebook. I would like to mention I am not computer illiterate, although I am also no pro, I do not believe this problems were ones I could of fixed on my own.

The problem was mainly a loud buzzing/static noise coming from the middle region of the keyboard, almost near the touch-pad. The sound started off small enough that I was attempting to just ignore it, because I liked the performance of the laptop, however it steadily got louder until it was overbearingly annoying. There was also a command prompt running at random times and I could not find the reason behind this (after scanning for virus/malware and checking my task scheduler.) Finally the laptop began hard crashing, in which upon reboot the screen would go static like an old TV would. Once this happened I decided to contact support.

The initial representative was easy to work with and let me know that my warranty covered having the laptop sent in for repair. i did end up paying for the shipping to go to them. The rep theorized that this was a hardware problem out of my control and I believed it. I was warned at this time to not attempt repairs myself or cause damage to the laptop which would void the warranty. I did not attempt this, and the laptop was handled with extreme care the entire time I had it. Not even a scratch was present on the machine before it left me, it had never been dropped or had anything spilled on it. Other than the above problems everything about it was like new.

I sent in the machine padded well in the USPS box and with insurance on top of it. There was at least 6 inches of padding around the laptop, it was fully shut down, and closed. And It looked like this before it left my care:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/RachelSaid/20170503_155952_zps3p9wpwbv.jpg

The laptop had been in 'repair' status through my RMA number for 7 days before ASUS contacted me claiming that there was damage done to the laptop. They claimed that this damage was present before it had arrived to their repair facility and that it was now not covered under warranty and would cost around 145 dollars to repair the damage. Below is a picture of the damage:

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c233/RachelSaid/USCYH64146_zps4txgbqyk.jpg

ASUS did not mention the reason the laptop had been sent to them in the first place. The invoice I received from them (without even having a discussion before hand about the damage) was through a company called FreshBooks, which honestly looks a lot like a scam but I am unsure since I also have not been able to get the attention to ASUS Support. The only communication I have gotten from them after reaching out about the damage is that they will not be repairing the notebook without me paying this invoice.

The damage was absolutely not done by myself, or by anything before it left my care. And I have a hard time believing it was done in shipping by USPS. Not to be impolite, but the truth of the matter is that common sense tells me that 'bubble' was created from the inside of the cover out. Honestly, it looks like someone took the cover off and while soldering the cover or some component laid down the hot tip on this place or hot glue got dropped here - and now ASUS is planning on making me pay for the damage they caused during repair. Again, I would like to point out they have not at all mentioned the original problem with the product - even after myself directly asking support through an email about it. I was again pressured to just pay the amount they wanted to 'continue repairs' or else it would come back like this.

ASUS has failed at reassuring me that my original problem was solved, and has more than likely caused this damage and now will not stand good by their warranty. I have never experienced so much of a hard time getting a repair, and I am more than disappointed with this case because the laptop before sending it in had the promise of being my favorite gaming notebook I have ever owned. However, representatives have been rude and pressuring about what they expect me to pay, and no one has gone to explain to me yet about how this could of happened - or even provide me confirmation that my serial number matches the one on this pictured laptop.

The service from ASUS thus far is abhorrent. I am even suspecting they have done this damage themselves to prevent from having to pay to fix what was wrong with the notebook or to fix their mistake. I expect for them to stand good for themselves and solve this issues which they have created, however I am afraid I am about to be disappointed.

Rant over, and the bottom line is: The gaming notebooks (and perhaps all of ASUS products) are wonderful until something goes wrong with them. Then ASUS will act more than willing to work with you, have the item sent in, and then they will come back in a week with a surprise charge against you. This is shady business practice, and personally my family and I will not be purchasing another ASUS laptop unless this issue is resolved extra carefully. I cannot believe the poor service I have now seen out of such a big name in the gaming notebook world.

Thank you for reading through this. I hope this issue can be resolved easily.
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
Hi Nalax

I will pass this onto an administrator, expect a response within 24 hours or sooner.

He may reply here or send you a private message.

Nate152 wrote:
Hi Nalax

I will pass this onto an administrator, expect a response within 24 hours or sooner.

He may reply here or send you a private message.

Okay, thank you.

xeromist
Thread moved to service inquiry area so Bahz can handle it here.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Bahz
Level 12
The issue looks a bit suspicious as I never heard about FreshBooks and there could be a misunderstand somewhere. I apologize for the inconvenience caused and we'll definitely get to the bottom of this and have this resolved for you as soon as possible.

Please send me a PM with the following information:

Product S/N:
RMA#:
Case ID#:

Thanks.

xeromist
Freshbooks is an accounting service for small businesses. I've seen ads on major Youtube channels. So the service is legit but obviously ASUS would not be using such a thing, possibly an ASUS contractor I suppose.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Eleiyas
Level 10
I know Bahz is already going to escalate this matter for you, however I would like to offer my 2 cents as I work as a Test Operator/ Repair Engineer for ASUS Holland.

I have seen that bubble before. It is because a screw of the wrong length has been used to screw the bottom case of the unit to the upper keyboard module. If you're 100% certain that it was not there beforehand, then it has almost certainly been done during the repair service.

That's all I'm going to say as, again, this matter has already been taken up with Bahz.

I am also very sorry to hear that you have had such a terrible experience with ASUS support services.

Thank you to Eleiyas for the explanation of what might of been pictured in picture I was sent, and also thank you to Bahz for working with me through this issue.

So far I have not gotten a direct message from my local support center, however this morning I received an email that my laptop is being packaged for shipping. I just wanted to update here that this might mean it has been repaired, since it was in final testing for the past few days.

Still waiting to see!

Nalax wrote:
Thank you to Eleiyas for the explanation of what might of been pictured in picture I was sent, and also thank you to Bahz for working with me through this issue.

So far I have not gotten a direct message from my local support center, however this morning I received an email that my laptop is being packaged for shipping. I just wanted to update here that this might mean it has been repaired, since it was in final testing for the past few days.

Still waiting to see!

Sorry about that, they should have at least contacted you. We did escalate this so we assume that it's been properly repaired, please let us know when you receive back the laptop. Thanks.