cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Maximus Hero Z690 Constant Intel Lan Dropouts

philsrb
Level 7
Hello there,
*i am going completely nuts over an issue that should not exist on a 600€ motherboard.
My Onboard Intel 225-V (3) *is constantly dropping out completely.
Dropping out i mean it loses all connectivity and will not reconnect. it happens after max 3 minutes within windows, or specifically under load it will drop out right away.
it is NOT oc related, have tested without any oc and it still happens just the same.
i have already tried the driver from asus website, the newer driver from intel, the me update from asus website (which i was quite reluctant to install as these usually slow down performance). everything i could find about this issue on 225 nics (older steppingstone had the problem) i did. any advice here? i did. also uncheck the power save features in device manager and also in device settings, still persists. this is a friggin 600€ mobo.*
adding an external mic is out of the question as it is a show pc.
6 REPLIES 6

Murph_9000
Level 14
Remember with Ethernet, the problem can always be the far end of the cable. If you've got another switch/router that you can use (or even just a different port), it's worth trying that to see if anything changes. Switches can sometimes disable a port if they see problems, or similar. It could also be some weird interaction between the I225-V and whatever is on the far end of the cable, so trying a different setup might change that. Unplugging and replugging the cable can sometimes reset that. I'm not really giving you a fix, just some things to try which may get you some more data points in the diagnosis process. Something else to remember is that 2.5G is relatively new, so you could try running it at 1G and see if that changes anything.

For what it's worth, I'm finding the I225-V on the Crosshair VIII Extreme to be stable connected at 2.5G into a ROG GT-AX6000, with driver 10.0.2.22 on WIndows 11 Pro.

Murph_9000 wrote:
Remember with Ethernet, the problem can always be the far end of the cable. If you've got another switch/router that you can use (or even just a different port), it's worth trying that to see if anything changes. Switches can sometimes disable a port if they see problems, or similar. It could also be some weird interaction between the I225-V and whatever is on the far end of the cable, so trying a different setup might change that. Unplugging and replugging the cable can sometimes reset that. I'm not really giving you a fix, just some things to try which may get you some more data points in the diagnosis process. Something else to remember is that 2.5G is relatively new, so you could try running it at 1G and see if that changes anything.

For what it's worth, I'm finding the I225-V on the Crosshair VIII Extreme to be stable connected at 2.5G into a ROG GT-AX6000, with driver 10.0.2.22 on WIndows 11 Pro.

It is running at 1GBIT...Also tried changing the cables.l i use cat7a cables all the way and theres another pc no issues at all...its alwys happening when this pc gets load or after a while...

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi philsrb,
Does it also occur on bios 1601 with bios all default settings(without OC) and Intel(R) I225 Gigabit Ethernet Driver V1.0.2.14 from our support site?
If yes, and you bought the motherboard recently, please consult the retailer first or send the motherboard to our RMA for further examination.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi philsrb,
Does it also occur on bios 1601 with bios all default settings(without OC) and Intel(R) I225 Gigabit Ethernet Driver V1.0.2.14 from our support site?
If yes, and you bought the motherboard recently, please consult the retailer first or send the motherboard to our RMA for further examination.
Thank you.

I have consulted the retailer and it was sent to asus germany. nothing came out it was sent straight back to me.
this cost me around 8 weeks. in the meantime still no solution.
I have experimented with several bios versions and it always does the same thing.
furthermore, i have also encountered the famous NVME Slot issue, meaning that load conditions on the PCIE BUS (ASUS STRIX 3090) will eventually also trigger PCIE errors on one nvme controller. Funny enough, i have purchased a second identical board for test purposes and i can recreate the issue, which leads me to think that the problem is on the asus side all the way. either way, the nvme issue can be solved by mounting the nvme disks to the provided pcie card, the lan card issue remains the same though.
when i disable aspm in bios, there will be no further whea errors registered, but lan card will still drop out.
DO NOT TRY TO BLAME THE LAN CABLES! I HAVE TESTED THEM. I HAVE ALSO TESTED SEVERAL SWITCHES, 1gbit MODELS but also 2.5GBIT models, I HAVE EVEN USED OTHER CABLES FOR THE TESTING. IT ALWAYS ENDS UP THE SAME WAY.

When there is no load on the pice bus, the lan works at full 2,5gbitz speed no errors whatsoever, but something inside that damn mobo is so ****ed up that this will happen.

Since Asus has virtually scammed me of about 700€ for a motherboard that will not provide even basic functionality, this will be my definite goodbye to asus. i have not had any real help from the asus side of things. Furthermore i am not the average customer...I have around 12 ASUS 3090 GPUS purchased this year, have had the whole Maximus and Rampage Lineup from 2012 purchased, and all i can say now is...SPEECHLESS

This company is pretty much scamming clients at this very point. From the fact that users get pushed some strange 1720 bioses through windows update, to the fact that nvme slots wont work (known issue, look it up here in the forum), and lastly, the LAN which just drops out as soon as u use the GPU.

What is the exact idea? Should one stop gaming online? should i purchase an ugly lan adapter and use up a precious PCIE SLOT just to get my most basic functionality back? we talking about a 800€ motherboard, remember!

FUN FACT:
SINCE GAMING IS VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE IN THIS MACHINE (MOST GAMES ONLINE) I HAVE PURCHASED A NINTENDO SWITCH, WHICH COSTS 250€ AND WORKS. IN THE MEANTIME 12900K IS DEAD CUZ NEW GEN IS OUT AND I HAVE BASICALLY ONLY WASTED HUNDREDS OF HOURS TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH MY RIG...

Good Bye ASUS

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, philsrb and any inconvenience this may cause.

Could you help to confirm the question below for better undetstanding the sanario of the problem?
- May I ask whether you sent the motherboard or GPU for repair? Could you provide the complete model name and provide the product serial number and RMA number via PM?
What is the problem described when sending it in for repair?
- What conditions led to the "LAN drops out as soon as useing the GPU" as you mentioned? Did it happen only after running specific software? What program did you employ to verify this circumstance? Could you provide a screenshot of the result?
- Have you attempted any troubleshooting techniques (such as*cross-testing the motherboard) for the problem you describe?

Thank you.

MarkFalk
Level 8

Hi there. 
I'm having the same problem regarding lan dropouts on Win11 (fresh install, all upgrades).  I've upgraded to the 2305 bios, all drivers are updated (as shown in armoury create app). I've also checked if the mobo was in the recall list but it's not. 

Has anyone solved this issue? 
Immagine 2023-05-21 124247.png