cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero / Dark Hero Shutdown on Sleep Issue, Temporary Solution

NYDave
Level 8
I just upgraded from the ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VII (X470) to the Hero VIII (X570) and, after just a few weeks, started having the same occasional shutoffs on sleep that many others reported with both the VIII Hero and Dark Hero models. When sleep works as expected, the power button will flash and the PC will wake with mouse/keyboard input. When the malfunction occurs, the power light will go off, the keyboard will briefly flash when a key is hit, and the computer will not restart until the physical power switch on the power supply is cycled.

Because so many are experiencing this issue with no help from the manufacturer, I wanted to share my temporary solution. I'm still pursuing this with ASUS though I have little faith -- so far three employees with limited technical knowledge have told me to return the brand new board for repair despite the fact nearly all the people who have done so have gotten their boards back unrepaired (no problem found) or received a replacement board that exhibits the same issue.

Here's my setup:

* ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) ATX Motherboard
* AMD Ryzen 9 5900X CPU
* ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 AIO Water Cooler
* ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti TUF (TUF-RTX3080TI-O12G-GAMING) GPU
* Kingston FURY Renegade 128GB (4x32GB) 3200MHz DDR4 CL16 RAM (KF432C16RBK4/128)
* Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 3D NAND M.2 NVMe Gen 4 (CT2000P5PSSD8)
* SAMSUNG 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe M.2 NVMe Gen 4 (MZ-V8P2T0B)
* Corsair RM1000x 1000 Watt Gold Power Supply

I've tried all the suggestions from ASUS and other users, including:

* Fresh BIOS install (versions 4304, 4201, 3904, 3801) and reset of all BIOS settings
* Default (non-DOCP) and DOCP memory settings
* ErP set to Disabled, S4+S5, and S5
* Windows 10 Pro and 11 Pro (including a FRESH install of Windows 11 Pro)
* Uninstalled/reinstalled Armoury Crate and reset RGB settings (one user swore by this)
* Disconnected all non-essential USB devices

Because I need to be able to access computer remotely, turning off the PC when not in use is not an option for me. I also don't want to leave the PC running all the time. My solution was to disable sleep entirely and have the computer Hibernate instead after 60 minutes idle, and wake by either by keyboard/mouse input or WOL magic packet. So far the only downside is a slightly longer recovery on wake (15-20 seconds instead of 1-2). Here's exactly what I did:

In Control Panel->Hardware and Sounds->Power Options:
1) Select Balanced plan settings
2) Select "Change plan settings" and set "Put the computer to sleep" to "Never"
3) Select "Change advanced power settings" and under "Sleep" set "Hibernate after" to 60 minutes (or your desired sleep time)
4) Apply, go back to "Power Options," select "Choose what the power button does," and set "When I press the power button" to "Hibernate"
5) Under "Shutdown settings" check "Hibernate" box and uncheck "Sleep" box

In BIOS, I reset to defaults, re-enabled DOCP, and set up APM as follows:
* ErP Ready: Disabled
* Restore AC Power Loss: Last State
* Power On By PCI-E: Enabled
* Power On By RTC: Disabled

So far all is working perfectly -- even my Veeam backup software is waking the computer for nightly backups.

Hope this helps, and if you have any more information on the issue, I'd appreciate it!
10 REPLIES 10

Stevereg80
Level 7

Just bought a Dark Hero viii and it’s got the exact same issue out the box. Thought I had fixed it with enabling erp S4+S5 but issue came back a few hours later and is constantly doing the same. The BIOS was even updated in March 2023 so pretty bad they are still shipping out these in a faulty state. Going to just get it refunded from Amazon as looking through the other threads the support from ASUS has been very poor.