cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus Hero Z690 - Audio Crosstalk

Log_cal
Level 7
I have an issue with the onboard sound with audio crosstalk.

If for example I am in Discord, the people I am connected to can hear whatever it is that I am listening to on my headset. It can be in game audio or it can be youtube but they can clearly hear it. What is even more confusing is that I can mute the mic or remove it altogether yet the line out audio is somehow crossing over to the line in/mic. Even tried having the mic of one headset connected whilst having the line out of another headset connected but issue still persists. The 'listen to this device' option in settings is unticked.

I am now on my third motherboard and all three have had this issue.

tried to resolve it by

Using front panel
using back panel (directly into motherboard)
updating to latest audio drivers and also rolling back to previous and windows default drivers
updating the ALC DAC firmware
lowering the db level of mic
lowering the volume of mic
lowering the volume of the headset
lowering the amplification level of headset to performance
disabling sound enhancements
disabling all other mics, virtual mics, digital inputs etc in sound control settings
disabling all other speakers, virtual speakers, digital output, hdmi outputs in sound control settings
tried three different headsets with 3.5mm phono jacks, all had same issue (tried a USB headset with no issue)
tried using the echo cancelation in sonic studio and also noise reduction

The issue is easily replicated in windows sound recorder, I play music on windows media player and then speak through the mic. On playback the music is just as clear as my voice

System spec:
Windows 11
Asus Maximus Hero Z690
Intel i7 12700k
Corsair DDR 5 5600mhz CL36
Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 1TB NVME M.2
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super
Corsair RM850X PSU
Corsair H115i Capellix AIO
Acer Predator XB271HU Monitor
Corsair K70 Mechanical keyboard
Endgear Gaming XM1R mouse
HyperX Cloud Alpha 2 headset (although issue is not isolated to that headset but other headsets with 3.5mm aux plugs)

Any help on this problem would be greatly appreciated and maybe verification on if this is a widespread issue or is there something on my setup causing it.

Thanks
26 REPLIES 26

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Mouser,
Does it only occurs on discord or also on other communication apps such as Microsoft teams?
Could you please update bios via EZ flash to see if it occurs on bios 2423 with bios all default settings and the Realtek Audio Driver V6.0.9088.1??
Thank you

I will do so, as well as some more formal testing and report my results. It may take me a week or two to complete though.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Log!cal,
Thank you for your reply.
May I double confirm when you replicate the issue in windows sound recorder, you connect only one headset and no speaker connecting for the sound output?
Could you please take a picture of your ram like this?
Thank you.

Hi

Yes I can confirm that only one headset is connected. No speakers.

Please see requested images.

Regards

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Log!cal,
Could you please help to check if the issue still occurs on bios 1304 with bios all default settings?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Log!cal,
Could you please help to check if the issue still occurs on bios 1304 with bios all default settings?
Thank you.

Hi STARRAIN

Unfortunately the issue is still there with bios 1304

Thanks

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Log!cal,
Do you enable Stereo Mix?
If yes, please disable it and then check discord and windows sound recorder again.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Log!cal,
Do you enable Stereo Mix?
If yes, please disable it and then check discord and windows sound recorder again.
Thank you.

No, I currently have every sound device disabled except for front mic and front headphones

Thanks

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Log!cal,
I'll consult our tech team more about this.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Log!cal,
I'm afraid our tech team cannot reproduce the issue with the devices at hand.
Do you have the issue since first build and install windows?
or does it occur after use the pc for several days? Was any settings different before and after you have the issue?
May I have more information about your audio settings?
Could you please help to use other drive to reinstall windows(or back up your personal files and then reinstall windows) to see if the issue still there without any settings changed?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Log!cal,
I'm afraid our tech team cannot reproduce the issue with the devices at hand.
Do you have the issue since first build and install windows?
or does it occur after use the pc for several days? Was any settings different before and after you have the issue?
May I have more information about your audio settings?
Could you please help to use other drive to reinstall windows(or back up your personal files and then reinstall windows) to see if the issue still there without any settings changed?
Thank you.

Hi STARRAIN

Sorry for late reply.
The issue has been there for me since i first built the PC. I have since had 2 other motherboards (both Asus z690 maximus hero) and 1 other CPU (another 12700k) and i have had the issue. The CPU was exchanged due to a single core getting 10c to 15c hotter than the other cores and hitting TDP. The motherboards were exchanged because of this audio issue and the second motherboard was exchanged due to coil whine. All 3 motherboards have had the issue with the audio crosstalk using front panel audio or the rear io panel audio.

I have stripped down the computer and rebuilt it 3 times now and reinstalled windows 11 about 5 times. Each time was a fresh new install. I have re routed the front panel audio cable separately from all other cables to the motherboard connector.

I have the issue with just the standard windows audio driver installed, the asus/realtek driver all versions including newest driver 2307, with and without sonic studio, with and without realtek/asus audio control panel and with and without Dolby Atmos and DTS.

The issue is there with 2 different headsets both with 2 3.5mm connectors from a 3 pole 3.5mm single connector. The issue is not there if i have the mic plugged into rear panel and headphones plugged into front panel and vice versa. The issue is also not there if i use a USB headset.

Hope this information helps to get to the bottom of this.

Regards

P.S It also may be worth noting that the headphone impedance sensing has always been around 300 ohms. My headset is a 65 ohm headset.