cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS G15 - Turbine Fan hopelessness

zaklovesyou
Level 7
Hey there,

First of all thanks to everybody who will take the time to read me and try to help me.

I'm coming to this forum after two months of owning a G15 and trying to fix an issue I'm stuck with. I've read everything I could find on Internet to fix my problem, and I'm really desperate.

I would have RMA if I could, but I bought my laptop in Asia, where I live, and apparently I've been sold a laptop from America, which I didn't know beforehand. It does mean that my warranty is only available in the US. I contacted Asus to show me a bit of humanity as I believe it's not fair, I spent all my savings into this laptop, but it's not working properly. They didn't show just even a bit of humanity and understanding.

Coming down to the problem itself now, basically my laptop, when doing something GPU intensive, would goes full speed on fans (6800RPM) and games would stutter, making them impossible to play. If I'm going back to the desktop, the problem remains and the only way to fix the issue is to shut down and restart the laptop.

The problem would appear 9 times out of 10, and if I'm lucky then finally I can play properly without fans going crazy.

These are the things I've tried so far :

- Update bios (413)
- Disable turbo boost
- Limit CPU min state / max state to 95%
- Update everything through Windows, Armoury Crate, MyAsus.
- Reset Windows (keep files)
- Reset Winndows (erase everything)
- Try Windows Power Mode

And voilà, here I lay stuck with this problem. I've noticed that the problem is less frequent if I uninstall Armoury crate, and Geforce Experience, but temperatures would go higher and performance don't seem optimal.

I beg someone to please help with this, I would hate myself spending so much money on something that doesn't work as intended.

Thank you
27 REPLIES 27

Hey there, thanks for your update.

Actually at line 45, I didn't even launch any game yet. I just opened Steam. The problem can also occur outside of games but I have 90% chance it will happen when I launch a game.

Alvez_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi
I try to simulate your scenario on the same model, but unforunately it's very nomal at my side. I guess it should be thermal problem or badly news is cpu NG.
I know if symptoms belong to cpu will make you very inconvenient because warranty issue. If you still want to repair in warranty , please send unit back to dealer-Best Buy. Thank you.

So it seems like my only choice is to bring it to warranty? Do you have an idea of how much it would cost me if I had to fix this? If I bring it to the local official asus store, it will void my warranty but if it's not to expensive maybe I'll do it.

What does NG means when you said CPU NG?

Do you think there is a fan control app I could use to bypass Asus one?

I would like to try to restore my bios to the base one, do you have any link to very old ones?

Thanks

xeromist
I believe many of the older laptop bios versions were removed due to security vulnerabilities (Intel Plundervolt) so no ASUS person would be able to provide them. If it's not on the product support page it's not officially supported anymore.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thanks for clarifying this point.

Hi Zak,

Sorry that you are having/had this issue that I am now currently experiencing(exactly). Did you end up having to send it back in?

Still within warranty if it's a needed action....ugh.

blitztech83 wrote:
Hi Zak,

Sorry that you are having/had this issue that I am now currently experiencing(exactly). Did you end up having to send it back in?

Still within warranty if it's a needed action....ugh.

I had the same model from bestbuy. Just send it back. Defective product.

evolucion8
Level 7
I noticed a similar issue with the BIOS 319 but in this case, would run capped at a much slower RPM causing the CPU and GPU to throttle, also the repaste do wonders compared to the crappy job with the liquid metal TIM used at factory.