cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

yobavip wrote:
Received (another) Dark Hero replacement from Amazon, made in Vietnam. Same behavior, sending back. 8th in a row. Embarassing.
Like the whole batch is bad or something? Why can't ASUS engineers reproduce an issue then?
It is pretty common combination which doesn't work for many people: R9 5900X, 2x16GB RGB 3600MHz RAM (pick either G Skill or Team from QVL list) and voila - it won't start!

8 ??? Wtf
Why would you even go through that many boards haha

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi all,
Although our tech team cannot reproduce the issue with the motherboard on hand, some customers have sent the motherboard to RMA.
We cannot reproduce the issue on all of those customers' motherboards but we have seen the issue few times.
However, it doesn't occur every time, so it is hard to reproduce the issue. We need more time to do further experiments to find the root cause.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

it has been over 20 days since your last actual "update" on the start up issue problem.
what's going on? do the engineers know now what is causing the problem, are they better at reproducing the problem?
WHAT IS GOING ON?

also how many are working for how many hours each week on this problem?
we are at over 6 months of this issue getting basically ignored by asus. as people buying 450 euro motherboards, we'd like to know how many resources asus puts behind 450 euro motherboards LITERALLY NOT STARTING UP!

if this was a server motherboard, the issue would have been fixed over 4 months ago without a question.

linara wrote:
it has been over 20 days since your last actual "update" on the start up issue problem.
what's going on? do the engineers know now what is causing the problem, are they better at reproducing the problem?
WHAT IS GOING ON?

we are at over 6 months of this issue getting basically ignored by asus. as people buying 450 euro motherboards, we'd like to know how many resources asus puts behind 450 euro motherboards LITERALLY NOT STARTING UP!

if this was a server motherboard, the issue would have been fixed over 4 months ago without a question.

I have send a PM to STARRAIN@ROG today, just a few hours ago.

Xairoo wrote:
STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Xairoo wrote:
Hi STARRAIN@ROG,

you could post an weekly update. Friday would be a good day.
Asus could share the current state.
That will bring back some trust.

I know the issue is really hard to reproduce. But people want to know what's currently going on and maybe how.

Thanks and best regards
Xairoo

Hi Xairoo,
I'm afraid our tech team is doing the experiment to check if they find the root cause.
Because it doesn't occur every time, although it doesn't occur after make some change, it might be fake.
Thank you.

Hi,

guess you try to fix it with the BIOS? If yes, you could share these versions with the public. Will result in more running tests.
But that versions should only be listed in the specific thread to keep the test group small.

Cheers

Xairoo wrote:
Because it doesn't occur every time, although it doesn't occur after make some change, it might be fake.

So, ASUS thinks that this issue is fake? wtf? I can record a video of that thing wont start. F*king fake my *ss

outofdate wrote:
So, ASUS thinks that this issue is fake? wtf? I can record a video of that thing wont start. F*king fake my *ss

No, because they have seen it.
I think they mean a not working fix. Just badly chosen words.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:

Hi Xairoo,
Our tech team have found a possible solution for the startup issue, but I'm afraid it can be only done in our repair center.
Could you please send your motherboard to our RMA and share the serial number to me?
I'll inform our local repair center to take care of your motherboard after received it.
Thank you.

That's my answer:

Hi,

the issue doesn't appear every day since I have the replacement (I told you and ATM it didn't happened since weeks?!).

Returning the board will result in having no workstation for many weeks.
Getting a new board in the meanwhile, I have to spend about 450 USD.
When I got the old board back, I have two boards. Selling one will result in wasting a lot of money.

That isn't a good solution. 99% of the other customers would tell you the same.

For this kind of issue, because it's not only one customer, Asus should offer a replacement program.

1.)
- ask the customer for the address and serial number + photo of the serial to avoid typos
- customer buys a new board (same model)
- customer will return the old board
- customer will get his money back, from Asus or the distributor (no one cares if this isn't possible, because it is and it's called good customer care)

OR

2.)
- ask the customer for the address and serial number + photo of the serial to avoid typos
- customer gets a new board from Asus (or they tell the distributors to send one)

Xairoo wrote:
That's my answer:

Hi,

the issue doesn't appear every day since I have the replacement (I told you and ATM it didn't happened since weeks?!).

Returning the board will result in having no workstation for many weeks.
Getting a new board in the meanwhile, I have to spend about 450 USD.
When I got the old board back, I have two boards. Selling one will result in wasting a lot of money.

That isn't a good solution. 99% of the other customers would tell you the same.

For this kind of issue, because it's not only one customer, Asus should offer a replacement program.

1.)
- customer buys a new board (same model)
- customer will get his money back, from Asus or the distributor (no one cares if this isn't possible, because it is and it's called good customer care)

OR

2.)
- customer gets a new board from Asus (or they tell the distributors to send one)

OR

Do you think it is possible to create a kind of collective or even a petition in hope to be heard?

How many people have fallen into the trap, and follow this thread perhaps silently but would like to be heard!

If this case (scam) comes out in public, maybe ASUS will deign to consider its users a little.

It's so frustrating...

tony-rambo wrote:
OR

Do you think it is possible to create a kind of collective or even a petition in hope to be heard?

How many people have fallen into the trap, and follow this thread perhaps silently but would like to be heard!

If this case (scam) comes out in public, maybe ASUS will deign to consider its users a little.

It's so frustrating...

I don't think Asus will take care of such a petition. A well known influencer should talk about that, that will help. But... you don't **** where you eat. Of course there are some how can do this. But who will care? Tell Linus and co., maybe someone will make it real public.

linara wrote:
WHAT IS GOING ON?

I don't know his schedule but a lot of people take extended vacations around Lunar New Year so he may not actually be working right now. Same goes for the engineers. Of course that doesn't account for your 6 months figure but this is definitely a more difficult time of year, currently.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I don't know his schedule but a lot of people take extended vacations around Lunar New Year so he may not actually be working right now. Same goes for the engineers. Of course that doesn't account for your 6 months figure but this is definitely a more difficult time of year, currently.

This is true for China, but can be ignored for the rest of the world. Also it has just started, they worked until a few days ago (we stopped submitting orders to China last week because they could get lost within the next 3 weeks while Lunar New Year) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_New_Year
I thought the Asus tech team is not located in Asia.

Let us wait for a more detailed update from Asus.