cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

BASI1990 wrote:

Yes, I know a little bit off topic, but the Asus DH motherboard doesn't seem to be the only one with a serious problem.

I'm really thinking about swapping my board for another one.

My requirements:
- No active chipset cooler
- I need the same amount of USB as the DH board
- The board must have an amplifier so that I can operate my BD MMX 300 headset with an impedance of 600 ohms.
- It must have 4 RAM slots
- I need WiFi antennas to be able to connect bluetooth speakers

So here are Dark Hero boards, Hero and Hero Wifi boards that can't turn on (and may eventually die due to what ever manufacturing fault they did)
And their latest boards catch fire ?

Wow, Asus really went from Hero to Zero !
Anyone should really avoid using Asus products, be sure to warn anyone you know who are thinking of buying/building a PC !

JBROG87 wrote:
So here are Dark Hero boards, Hero and Hero Wifi boards that can't turn on (and may eventually die due to what ever manufacturing fault they did)

Anyone should really avoid using Asus products, be sure to warn anyone you know who are thinking of buying/building a PC !

That's exactly what I wrote under JayzTwoCents Video. I then checked whether someone had replied to my comment, but unfortunately it was deleted for whatever reason

JBROG87 wrote:

The issue was a reversed capacitor on Z690 in manufacturing of some boards correctlly identified by Buildzoid first which result in mofset burning out. It's not the same issue as what is going on here and Asus have issued a product recall for effected motherboards.

J2cents isnt worth listening to ~imo.

I know ASUS is prob busy sorting out their newest boards that catch fire, but could someone, ANYONE, at least confirm that this issue is being looked into?
It has been so long, nothing yet? Nothing at all ???

BASI1990 wrote:

Yes, I know a little bit off topic, but the Asus DH motherboard doesn't seem to be the only one with a serious problem.

I'm really thinking about swapping my board for another one.

My requirements:
- No active chipset cooler
- I need the same amount of USB as the DH board
- The board must have an amplifier so that I can operate my BD MMX 300 headset with an impedance of 600 ohms.
- It must have 4 RAM slots
- I need WiFi antennas to be able to connect bluetooth speakers

Thanks for sharing. STARRAIN@ROG asked for the room temperatures.

A few weeks ago I had a few bad soldered IC pins on a few PCBs.
Can't be seen by eye or even with magnifying glasses.
I tried to move the pins with a tweezers. It worked. Easy to fix, but not detectable using an automated method.
Temperature could cause a movement of the pins. And if they don't have a good contact you have a problem.

PCBs often get checked using cameras, fully automated, so wrong twisted electrolytic capacitors can easily be detected.
But no way to detect cold solder joints, specially when the solder points joints are under the component.

This thread has been dark for weeks from ASUS and it is probably because they know what is wrong and it would cost them to much to fix and replace our boards. So they will just deny and ride it out. When shutting down the PC, something power related is failing on the board and causing it not to reboot, without completely cutting off power to the board before restart. Another good reason from previous poster said maybe it has something to do with temperature before shutdown too. The issue is also sporadic, at least, for me. It doesn't 100% happen all the time.

Just happened while disabling SMT @ BIOS and saving it, wasn't able to boot.

The Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero is the worst mainboard I ever had (since 21 years!).

AsusExplorer wrote:
I would suggest that the engineering team needs to run the board for about 90 days before declaring "no problem found".
Turn it on and off as often as they can over that period until the fault recurs, which it will.
My experience was that it was very random and sometimes did not recur for a month or so. It made no difference how many times the system was shutdown.
Its intermittent. You could shut it down 50 times in a row and not experience this issue, or it could happen every day for a few consecutive days, its just random.
BIOS settings, temperature, peripherals, lighting, RAM, CPU, nothing helps.

ASUS needs to investigate this issue seriously. This is reputation damaging and I have not seen such a profound product issue like this in an ASUS board in some time. It may be that only a small proportion of boards is affected, but its still significant.

To all the posters here with this issue:
First, I really feel for you guys.
I had the exact same issue with my old Crosshair VIII Hero wi-fi. (I posted in another thread about it).
I tried everything you guys have and eventually returned the board for full refund.
I then purchased a Dark Hero, which has run perfectly over the past few months.
If I'd known that the DH was susceptible to this issue then I probably would not have bought one and would have, regretfully, left ASUS.
Fingers crossed this issue doesnt pop up with this board!

Anyhow, I used all the same hardware on the DH as I had on the CH8. So it wasnt any of my system components. The new board works flawlessly.

Like you I also played around with lots of BIOS configuration settings on the CH8, but nothing fixed it.
Then I realised that the problem couldnt be related to a setting, anyhow.
To understand this, when the system is shutdown and set to low power state then there is a kind of "handshake" between the PS and the board.
This is all implemented as per the ATX spec and basically there is a "signal" (voltage at certain pins on the ATX connector) that tells the board what state the PS is in. On the board there is a power control circuit (PCC) which manages all this. (This is not too sophisticated, it just a couple of logical states in voltages on certain pins).
IMHO this is where the fault lies and is probably a common component across these two boards (the DH and CH8).

There could be lots of reasons that the board PCC circuit is faulty, but clearly its nothing to do with the configuration settings in the BIOS because the system should power up when the start button is pressed, by design! IF there is a BIOS setting which turns out to trigger this behavior then its a fault in the firmware, not a feature!
Now some people may be thinking about the new "low power state" feature of modern PS's and Windows. Maybe a PS without this new feature is related to this issue? I dont think so. PS's compliant with version 2.4 up will handle the power state, this is just a red herring IMO. My PS did not change between my old faulty CH8 and my new DH and its powering up the PC just fine.

So dont waste anymore time on this. The boards are faulty.
ASUS needs to identify the faulty component(s), acknowledge the issue and fix/replace the boards as soon as a customer describes the symptoms, which are pretty clearly understood now.

Symptoms:

• Within a month or two of installing the board,
  • Random no startup, with no lights, no fans, no video, no nothing. Nada,
  • Work around - power off the PS, wait a few seconds and power it back on,
  • System then starts normally,
  • No pattern,
  • Intermittent.

Good luck with it guys.

Thank you for your post - As an engineer myself, I agree with your findings. I also agree with your thoughts regarding PSU. I have tried different CPUs with same result.

Looking forward to the battle I'm going to have with my retailer Monday, when they want to charge me for RMA'ing a "non-faulty" MB.

stixix
Level 7
Update: Asus repair center spent less than a day on trying to replicate the issues on my board without success. So now they are returning it. This is not OK 😞

stixix wrote:
Update: Asus repair center spent less than a day on trying to replicate the issues on my board without success. So now they are returning it. This is not OK 😞

Totally uncool. I thought Asus got your RMA number? So they should be able to inform the guys at the repair center. Also I think they store a history with parts used (batch number and so on), where it was produced (can be multiple factories), timestamp, repair history and so on... will say: They should be able to place a note specially for the repair center guys.

stixix wrote:
This is not OK 😞

That is put in a very friendly manner. Guess you feel totally different from what you have written.

What would Asus think when this would happen:

A well known YouTube PC tech guy is buying the whole system (not the storage) from someone of this thread. (I don't know why Asus hasn't done this - there are so many options to handle this)
So the seller can get a new PC and the YouTube guy could make a amazing review about that board, this thread and this issue. Also he has enough hardware to play around and can change parts over and over again. The thing is, these people earn money from companies like Asus. I don't know if they will get into this, but that would be really great. Ok, not for Asus.

Anyway, maybe I am wrong and Asus is doing more than we know.