cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

JBROG87 wrote:
Mike, this issue here is cause by a hardware defect due to Asus incompentence, it affects multiple boards and so far Asus has not told us exactly what mistake they made (putting components wrong way onto the board or what ever)
They did say they would replace affected boards, but only with ****ty refurb models. Embarrassing situation for Asus, hope this gets more and more media attention so that Asus looses sales, reputation and trust

Yeah, I had gotten the impression from following new posts on this thread that it was hardware related. I also posted the email exchange I had with an ASUS rep that ended up going nowhere.

I just thought that I would share that video in case someone would find some benefit to it.

I've got this thread bookmarked and check it daily. Hopefully one of the big Youtube channels will take this on and really put some heat on ASUS.

Appreciate your reply.

Mike

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi tony-rambo,
I'm sorry I didn't notice your ID and model name.
For ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO(WI-FI), please send RMA for further examination or consult your dealer first.
Thank you.

Hi kiriup,
For Crosshair VII Hero, I've replied the thread you created.
Thank you.

Hi all,
For ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO, thank you for sharing the settings and the test information.
However, it seems everyone gets different result with the same settings. Our team will test with bios default settings first.
Because it is random issue, our team might need more time to reproduce it.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi tony-rambo,
I'm sorry I didn't notice your ID and model name.
For ROG CROSSHAIR VIII HERO(WI-FI), please send RMA for further examination or consult your dealer first.
Thank you

Hi STARRAIN@ROG,

After contacting the reseller (Amazon), it simply offers me a refund.

Do you advise me to wait some more time in the hope of getting a software solution to fix this problem or is it better to get a refund and switch to another brand?

axiumone
Level 11
Has this issue ever been fixed? I'm on bios 3803 and it's still happening. Very annoying.

axiumone wrote:
Has this issue ever been fixed? I'm on bios 3803 and it's still happening. Very annoying.

no it hasnt, no fix, Asus hasn't even found the root of the issue yet...
Think its 5 months now? I am not sure

Hi guys,
I am also a member of this club. If my computer goes into sleep mode sometimes (over 50%) all LED are off and I can only restart if I disonnect and reconnect the PC from the power. I have a Crosshair III Dark Hero with firmware 3801, bought in August 2021, Ram from G.Skill: TridentZ Neo (F4-3800C18D-64GTZN). Now, I have talked with an Asus assistant. I mention this forum and he told me there will be a lot going on… and Asus is knowing this problem, but it has a lot of causes: Hardware, Software, BIOS, OS, the sequence of installing drivers and so on. That made me mad and I became clearer. In the end, Asus doesn't think it is a mainboard problem. His solution in a first step: Do a CMOS reset and throttle the RAM frequency. The dark hero max. RAM frequency is 3.200 MHz without OC, see manual. I should set this frequency, although my RAM could run with 3.800 MHz, and the D.O.C.P, but I have still the problem with the sleep mode with RAM 3.200 MHz.
He propose these next steps:
Reinstall Windows with minimum components, see ASUS Media Creation Tool https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1039507/
Install the drivers in the following sequence:
1. AMD chipset driver
2. Graphic driver
3. Audio driver
4. Bluetooth driver
5. LAN driver

For me, it could be a problem with the Ryzen 5000 series.

P.S. MSI had also problems with Ryzen 5000 and FCLK in November 2020, but a beta BIOS update seems to be working. Other mainboard manufacturer like Gigabyte, ASRock have also problems.

I have tried it like my description from yesterday. It doesn't work.

cosanoma wrote:
I have tried it like my description from yesterday. It doesn't work.

Yeah it doesn't really have anything to do with software to be fair. I've had the issue on a clean Windows 10 and 11 install.

Aalz0r wrote:
Yeah it doesn't really have anything to do with software to be fair. I've had the issue on a clean Windows 10 and 11 install.

Yes, I think you're right and it has something to do only with the mainboard and / (or) the Ryzen 5000 series.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Xairoo,
Our repair center have received your motherboard last Thursday but cannot reduplicate the issue so far.
Our repair center will try reproducing it for few days.
Thank you.

Hi D-Rocky,
For ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI), if you have updated to bios 3081 with bios all default settings but the issue still occurs, please send RMA for further examination.
Thank you.