cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

Please stop doing this, it just wastes time and doesn't help anyone. It has nothing to do with G.Skill or any other component.
The thread here has now clearly proven that.

I have tested three different RAM kits, including two G.Skill with and without RGB.
My current configuration is in my profile.

It is the motherboard alone and no setting posted here has prevented the error. BIOS 3601 and also 3801 brings the error.

The last 3 days, every morning after about 10h power off, I could not power on the board.

Am back on the MSI board and the Dark Hero goes to the dealer/ASUS tomorrow.

Regards

So does the problem come from the board itself or can it be solved with a BIOS update?

BASI1990 wrote:
So does the problem come from the board itself or can it be solved with a BIOS update?

It's up to Asus to inform us. They should have got the boards already. I hope so. They had enough time. Now give them a few more days to reproduce this issue and to get a solution.

i have still no start error after RGB reset, i have today again 10 times the pc starts, and it was working all the time and last night he was 15 h off.

no idea why but i think my system is fixed. and it was 100% Armoury that destroys the bios config. i hope Asus do a bios button to reset all settings 100% to default even delete all profile a fully factory reset. maybe that helps some ppls.

@STARRAIN@ROG pls say the devs they need to get us this option

NuadaXXX wrote:
i have still no start error after RGB reset, i have today again 10 times the pc starts, and it was working all the time and last night he was 15 h off.

no idea why but i think my system is fixed. and it was 100% Armoury that destroys the bios config. i hope Asus do a bios button to reset all settings 100% to default even delete all profile a fully factory reset. maybe that helps some ppls.

@STARRAIN@ROG pls say the devs they need to get us this option

I think the problem is more common with standby/sleep than just cold booting. Although with aura off I did have cold boot problems too. Did you try sleep mode too?

Edit: I also tried your method with the crate app, but it didn't solve the sleep issue for me.

Aalz0r wrote:
I think the problem is more common with standby/sleep than just cold booting. Although with aura off I did have cold boot problems too. Did you try sleep mode too?

Edit: I also tried your method with the crate app, but it didn't solve the sleep issue for me.

Yes i got no sleep/hibernate issue but hibernate is off because it **** gaming performance.

i have some problems resolved with 10x cmos reset + turn out battery start pc mithout battery turn it off and do cmos reset again some times.
but never use ur old profile u need so set it again manual.

what i have see is, if i go 10 times in the bios and change things the problems begin. now i have do all settings in one step and no problems atm.

some days i do the window open over night and it is 10c in the morning in the room but no probs.

Hi
So i dont know if this info will help anybody but i thought i should share anyway. I have the same problem but with a 3 year old crosshair VII Hero! And in my case the board is dead! I cant fix it by removing PSU, its just dead!
I have the SAME symptoms as everyone else here! I changed everything on it and i mean everything including cpu, gpu, psu, ram.... Its definitely the board!

The funny part is that even though ive been using it for more than 3 years i dont know if it had the boot problem (the one that is fixed by removing the PSU power) because i almost never turned it off! Since the cold boot problem that everyone here describes happens randomly it is very possible that i had this problem from the beginning but never noticed because i almost never shutdown.. I can at least confirm that it had no problem with restarts.

What i am worried about here is that this problem could one day could lead to the board permanently not powering up like mine. Reading this thread I cant tell if i am lucky because i used it for 3 years without problems or unlucky because it died just a few months after my warranty ended..

Anyway i hope you guys can get it resolved while the board is still under warranty

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi hakai,
I'm not sure there are the similar components in the repair center.
I'll consult our US team about it.
Have you shut down or put it to sleep mode and then turn it on or wake it up immediately, did the issue occur?
May I know the temperature at the place you put the pc while the issue occurs?
Thank you.

Hi Xairoo,
We are waiting for the distributor send back your old board.
Have you shut down or put it to sleep mode and then turn it on or wake it up immediately, did the issue occur?
Thank you.

Hi von_nihil,
Thank you for your information.
Please also share the serial number of the new motherboard to me via PM.
Thank you.

Hi lexis-ermakov,
If you shut down or put it to sleep mode and then turn it on or wake it up immediately, does the issue occur?
Thank you.

Hi NuadaXXX,
May I have the serial number of your motherboard and your friend's?
If you shut down or put it to sleep mode and then turn it on or wake it up immediately, does the issue occur?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Xairoo,
We are waiting for the distributor send back your old board.
Thank you.

Both, mostly sleep (tested sleep more often). I waited always about ~5-10 seconds when I tested it.
~24 °C constantly, in the edge of a room, no breeze while ventilate the room.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:

Hi lexis-ermakov,
Thank you.

Hi. Within 30 minutes, I turned off the computer 10 times and put it into sleep mode 10 times, it turned on normally. Temperature 18-24 degrees