cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

Xairoo wrote:
Hardware issue. Confirmed by Asus. Replacement program in development.
Just check the latest messages in this thread and don't be lazy.

Do they provide replacement when we send the motherboard to ASUS?

I thought this would take a long time. That's why I want to ask.
AMD RYZEN 9 7900X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-E GAMING WIFI | ASUS ROG STRIX LC III 360 ARGB | G.SKILL TridentZ5 NEO RGB 2X24GB 6400Mhz CL32 | ASUS TUF Radeon RX 7800XT | Asus ROG Strix SCOPE | Asus ROG GLADIUS II CORE | XPG SX8200PRO 2TB nVME | Corsair RM1000x Shift 80+ Gold | Corsair 5000D Case

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi itzdevilsown,
If you have the similar issue when using other motherboard model, please create a new thread for discussing.
Thank you.

salada2k
Level 7
If I bought a Dark Hero motherboard today, should I expect to encounter this issue? *

salada2k wrote:
If I bought a Dark Hero motherboard today, should I expect to encounter this issue? *

Yes there is a very high chance that you would encounter this issue.

salada2k wrote:

JBROG87 wrote:

Way to go Asus!

Potential owners are sceptical and discouraged while current owners are losing patience/faith and bewildered at the lackadaisical progress of nebulous critical issues in their top dollar motherboards.

Got to do better, c'mon Asus.

Till date, has anyone specifically identified and stated exactly which component/s are at fault so far or... is it still a guessing game? *facepalm

ASUS_SG_fan wrote:
Till date, has anyone specifically identified and stated exactly which component/s are at fault so far or... is it still a guessing game? *facepalm

I think an earlier post cited the ECN chip as being faulty. Whatever that is.

salada2k wrote:
I think an earlier post cited the ECN chip as being faulty. Whatever that is.

Good luck googling that up, could have be any other obscure component name being thrown up too.

I am having serious trust issues deciding which incoming Zen4 series models to get soon. Which brand used to be a non-issue but alas no longer, damn. :rolleyes:

this is my final post ,I've been an ASUS customer for 15 + years, and in that time I've NEVER experienced such an Issue as this ,.. while ASUS may not have the best customer SERVICE ,.. for the longest time ,. they didn't really NEED it as their products have always been rock solid, hell I've never even registered ANY of my motherboards for possible warranty because they've always OUTLASTED the 3-year period by quite a margin,.. NOW!!, this Issue that has cropped up , their customer service has proven woefully Inadequate ,the 1st post in this Thread was Oct 2020,...TWENTY TWENTY??????!!!, not ONLY did ASUS know about this for roughly 2-ish years ,. but they continued to sell and let OTHER vendors sell a defective product,........ I have referred this matter to the BBB Including this entire Thread as well as their so-called solutions and turnover times and my communications with the aforementioned "customer service" Dept, lastly, I can HAPPILY say that I AM ESTATIC!! that EVGA started making AMD boards again and I might suggest some of you take a look at those!!!

Good Luck to All

Hi, so I've been following this thread for a little under 8 months now hoping that ASUS would issue a FW update that resolves this problem or at the very least ADMIT THAT THERE IS AN ISSUE with these boards to begin with.

Decided to call my local vendor and enquire about my remaining warranty, which turns out expires in December...prompting me to start the RMA process. On a positive note as I entered the shop I noticed a guy about to purchase the exact same board- this lead to a long conversation between us during which one of the tech guys also overheard us and walked over to share his experience with customers returning the exact same board with the same power issue thats been plaguing each of us.

Frankly at this point I will never buy another ASUS product in my life, which is sad because I have literally been a poster child for ASUS products in the past. Get yourselves together ASUS...

JBROG87 wrote:

This is very frustrating.

*Can I ask how long the issue has been taking to manifest for the unlucky people experiencing it? Â*Does it happen quickly after purchase? Thank you.