cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

Justabit_discom wrote:
I have the same problem with a Dark Hero MB, Been working fine for the last year, but a couple of weeks ago I started getting the no start from power button unless I completely discharge power. Start switch on MB is always white when this happens. System is used daily, turned on when I get home from work, turned off when I go to bed.

It doesn't happen every time, might get 4 days starts, 2 days doesn't.

System specs:

Dark Hero MB Bios 3801
Ryzen 5900x
Gskill F4-4000c16d032gtzna Trident Z Neo
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Power Supply

I've had Asus boards for years, But having read how they are dealing with this and sending out refurbed boards as replacement for a premium priced MB, I doubt I will ever buy their products again.

This is interesting, and concerning. I have a Dark Hero I bought from New Egg in January 2021. The part number indicates it was manufactured in China. I don't know if that makes any difference with this particular problem. I have never experienced this start up problem and thought maybe my board was not affected. The more posts I read about this, It seems that this issue is not limited to just the Dark Hero as there are reports of the regular X570 Hero doing this and also a few reports of other series of boards. Now I have to wonder if I dodged this bullet or if it just hasn't happened yet. Between this and the Z690 backwards capacitor fiasco, I am really losing confidence in Asus products. The choices are pretty limited and I am not impressed with Gigabyte, MSI, or Asrock.

That's a kind of hijacking, but it's related to wake/sleep.

I got my replacement board because of the wake/sleep problem (this topic) but I still have Bluetooth problems.

It could happen that the Bluetooth (Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)) device disappears from the device manager.

Only a power off for a few seconds will help.

I had this problem before on Windows 10 and now Windows 11.

Anyway I don't think that can be a Windows or any other software problem because the device just disappears (I can see it disabled when I list all hidden devices).

Anyone else with that problem?

BASI1990 wrote:
@Xairoo
did you send in your mainboard to get a replacement device, or did you send in your mainboard after receiving a new board?

I got the replacement before I returned the old board. Works fine, they used DHL for pickup.

Something bad: They made a mistake with the invoice/customs papers. They haven't marked the board as a replacement. So I got an invoice for handling/tax from DHL/customs. Finally Asus contacted DHL and I hope they really solved the mistake 🙂

I'm having the same problems on my Strix B-550 Gaming XE, i could swear that Starrain (Asus Mod) has confirmed that this problems were indeed a Hardware Problem - but i can't find his posts anymore. They were either deleted or edited or i'm just dumb and my memories are completely off.

Xairoo wrote:
That's a kind of hijacking, but it's related to wake/sleep.

I got my replacement board because of the wake/sleep problem (this topic) but I still have Bluetooth problems.

It could happen that the Bluetooth (Intel(R) Wireless Bluetooth(R)) device disappears from the device manager.

Only a power off for a few seconds will help.

I had this problem before on Windows 10 and now Windows 11.

Anyway I don't think that can be a Windows or any other software problem because the device just disappears (I can see it disabled when I list all hidden devices).

Anyone else with that problem?

I got the replacement before I returned the old board. Works fine, they used DHL for pickup.

Something bad: They made a mistake with the invoice/customs papers. They haven't marked the board as a replacement. So I got an invoice for handling/tax from DHL/customs. Finally Asus contacted DHL and I hope they really solved the mistake 🙂

So you have a new motherboard to fix one hardware problem (the wake/sleep issue) and your new motherboard has a hardware bluetooth problem?

JBROG87 wrote:
So you have a new motherboard to fix one hardware problem (the wake/sleep issue) and your new motherboard has a hardware bluetooth problem?

You got it. Anyway, I have noticed this kind of problem also on a Gigabyte Aorus Master (separate OS install).

Xairoo wrote:
You got it. Anyway, I have noticed this kind of problem also on a Gigabyte Aorus Master (separate OS install).

Mh, I am tempted now to finally go ahead and have my Dark Hero swapped for one without the wake/sleep issue, but I am nervous that I might get a board that then has other issues like yours.
My motherboard has no problems other than the wake/sleep problem.

Btw how did you go about having your motherboard swapped out with a new one ? I have sent a DM today to Starrain@Rog

JBROG87 wrote:
Mh, I am tempted now to finally go ahead and have my Dark Hero swapped for one without the wake/sleep issue, but I am nervous that I might get a board that then has other issues like yours.
My motherboard has no problems other than the wake/sleep problem.

Btw how did you go about having your motherboard swapped out with a new one ? I have sent a DM today to Starrain@Rog

If I got a new mainboard in advance, I would swap my mainboard as well.

@JBROG87 did you already get feedback from Starrain@Rog?

BASI1990 wrote:
If I got a new mainboard in advance, I would swap my mainboard as well.

@JBROG87 did you already get feedback from Starrain@Rog?

Yes I send Starrain@Rog a DM and he responded that the "replacement program" has finished. The only way to have this issue resolved now is to send in your motherboard, wait weeks or months and have it returned eventually. Meanwhile you can't use your PC.
For some reason some users get treated differently, Xairo had a NEW motherboard send to him just a few weeks ago and returned his old one.
I told Starrain this, but he did not comment on that.

JBROG87 wrote:
Kinda crazy how many Asus boards are affected by this issue, wtf is Asus doing?

Btw, any progress on getting this topic talked about by the wider Tech media Like GamersNexus ?

Bitwit just did a video on his Youtube channel about RGB software causing BSOD's and crashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7YKtBFGZlQ

I haven't read through this entire thread, but I have this Patriot folder on my computer and do not remember installing it. I have AURA lighting effect addon instaalled as well.

Like I said, I haven't read through this entire thread so I don't know if this software has been discussed as a possible problem.
His entire video is really worth watching, I think. He did a great job.

Mike

mbarry wrote:
Bitwit just did a video on his Youtube channel about RGB software causing BSOD's and crashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7YKtBFGZlQ

I haven't read through this entire thread, but I have this Patriot folder on my computer and do not remember installing it. I have AURA lighting effect addon instaalled as well.

Like I said, I haven't read through this entire thread so I don't know if this software has been discussed as a possible problem.
His entire video is really worth watching, I think. He did a great job.

Mike

Mike, this issue here is cause by a hardware defect due to Asus incompentence, it affects multiple boards and so far Asus has not told us exactly what mistake they made (putting components wrong way onto the board or what ever)
They did say they would replace affected boards, but only with ****ty refurb models. Embarrassing situation for Asus, hope this gets more and more media attention so that Asus looses sales, reputation and trust