cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

I reverted to BIOS version 3801. And interestingly, there doesn't seem to be any problem.

I have turned the computer off and on many times. It restarted every time without any problems.

I put it in sleep mode. Again, the computer boots up without any problems.

I guess this computer rebooting issues is due to BIOS versions 4006 and 4201. I will continue to use it with BIOS number 3801 for a while. I hope the same problem does not repeat.
AMD RYZEN 9 7900X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-E GAMING WIFI | ASUS ROG STRIX LC III 360 ARGB | G.SKILL TridentZ5 NEO RGB 2X24GB 6400Mhz CL32 | ASUS TUF Radeon RX 7800XT | Asus ROG Strix SCOPE | Asus ROG GLADIUS II CORE | XPG SX8200PRO 2x2TB nVME | XPG SX8100 2x2TB nVME | Corsair RM1000x Shift 80+ Gold | Corsair 5000D Case

Orodruin wrote:
I reverted to BIOS version 3801. And interestingly, there doesn't seem to be any problem.

I have turned the computer off and on many times. It restarted every time without any problems.

I put it in sleep mode. Again, the computer boots up without any problems.

I guess this computer rebooting issues is due to BIOS versions 4006 and 4201. I will continue to use it with BIOS number 3801 for a while. I hope the same problem does not repeat.

I am surprised that people still make these claims.
This is NOT a bios/software issue, it has been confirmed by ASUS to be a hardware defect.
If you try it often enough, the startup failure will occur.
It occurs more often when the system is warm like after prolonged use.

Keep trying and the fault will occur, regardless of BIOS version installed.

JBROG87 wrote:
I am surprised that people still make these claims.
This is NOT a bios/software issue, it has been confirmed by ASUS to be a hardware defect.
If you try it often enough, the startup failure will occur.
It occurs more often when the system is warm like after prolonged use.

Keep trying and the fault will occur, regardless of BIOS version installed.

I have been using my computer intensively for two days. I reverted to version 3801. And there seems to be no errors for now.

I've rebooted multiple times. I put it to sleep mode and woke it back up. It did not repeat the same problem. I'll test it for a while and see if it's the same problem.

What is the exact cause of this problem? Is the BIOS update breaking the motherboard? Or is there another reason? Has an explanation been made about this?
AMD RYZEN 9 7900X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-E GAMING WIFI | ASUS ROG STRIX LC III 360 ARGB | G.SKILL TridentZ5 NEO RGB 2X24GB 6400Mhz CL32 | ASUS TUF Radeon RX 7800XT | Asus ROG Strix SCOPE | Asus ROG GLADIUS II CORE | XPG SX8200PRO 2x2TB nVME | XPG SX8100 2x2TB nVME | Corsair RM1000x Shift 80+ Gold | Corsair 5000D Case

Orodruin wrote:
I have been using my computer intensively for two days. I reverted to version 3801. And there seems to be no errors for now.

I've rebooted multiple times. I put it to sleep mode and woke it back up. It did not repeat the same problem. I'll test it for a while and see if it's the same problem.

What is the exact cause of this problem? Is the BIOS update breaking the motherboard? Or is there another reason? Has an explanation been made about this?

No it has nothing to do with thr BIOS, I had the issue occur on 3801 and previous versions. It is a hardware defect, likely some sort of embedded controller that is faulty.
But asus didn't specify exactly what was causing it. They do have a repair method now that can be done to resolve the fault. But the issue is so prevalent on this board, many users had as many 3 new motherboards and all had that fault.

JBROG87 wrote:
No it has nothing to do with thr BIOS, I had the issue occur on 3801 and previous versions. It is a hardware defect, likely some sort of embedded controller that is faulty.
But asus didn't specify exactly what was causing it. They do have a repair method now that can be done to resolve the fault. But the issue is so prevalent on this board, many users had as many 3 new motherboards and all had that fault.

It is really interesting. The weird thing here is that I've been using the motherboard for two years with no issues at all, but this happened after a BIOS update.

Moreover, the same problem occurs in Dark Hero and Formula Model. It means they use the same components.

Same problem here. I bought mine last year in october. I am not sure when I recognized this problem but I struggled with it for a long time. I started looking after it and I figured out that a lot of people are facing the very same issue and even replacement motherboards may have the very same problems.

I contacted the asus support and they got back to me. And said that they are aware of the problem and are working on a solution, on a bios update, to fix the issue.

I know others wrote that it is not a bios issue but this is the last info I got from asus support 9 days ago.

My other issue was that regularly, maybe near weekly the PC crashed with cache hierarchy problems on different CPU cores. I have a 5900x. As I see from my online searches this is a common problem as well.

My current "workaround" for the wake-up problem is that I switched off sleep completely.

tagged wrote:
Same problem here. I bought mine last year in october. I am not sure when I recognized this problem but I struggled with it for a long time. I started looking after it and I figured out that a lot of people are facing the very same issue and even replacement motherboards may have the very same problems.

I contacted the asus support and they got back to me. And said that they are aware of the problem and are working on a solution, on a bios update, to fix the issue.

I know others wrote that it is not a bios issue but this is the last info I got from asus support 9 days ago.

My other issue was that regularly, maybe near weekly the PC crashed with cache hierarchy problems on different CPU cores. I have a 5900x. As I see from my online searches this is a common problem as well.

My current "workaround" for the wake-up problem is that I switched off sleep completely.

No information has been shared about which production date motherboards this problem occurs on or which serial number motherboards occur.

But I guess it just seems like a bit of luck. The problem occurs somehow and is not fixed by a BIOS update. There is a hardware problem. I guess it's a production issue.

I sent my motherboard to RMA. Waiting for repair.

Hi All,

I was able to arrange an Express replacement (Cross-ship) with ASUS customer service and I received a repaired motherboard this morning. Whatever they did it works, the issue is resolved and the PC Sleeps and shutsdown correctly and I no longer have to power-cycle the PSU.

Thanks to all the forum mods who helped through this and wising those still with issues good luck in getting your replacement/repairs done quickly!

Compuwiz

compuwiz wrote:
Hi All,

I was able to arrange an Express replacement (Cross-ship) with ASUS customer service and I received a repaired motherboard this morning. Whatever they did it works, the issue is resolved and the PC Sleeps and shutsdown correctly and I no longer have to power-cycle the PSU.

Thanks to all the forum mods who helped through this and wising those still with issues good luck in getting your replacement/repairs done quickly!

Compuwiz

any particular shipping costs and/or other charges involved????

veryupset900 wrote:
any particular shipping costs and/or other charges involved????

Personally I did not have any costs other than a "hold on a credit/debit card for the MSRP of the unit". But after an additional delay (+2-3 weeks) due to the boards arriving late; they had decided to waive this for me as well.

The program was the "Advance Replacement Program" from ASUS USA (unsure if this exists in other countries). The Corporate Customer Care agent I was working with had sent me a return label but this may not be universal for all cases as the instructions do say to "You are responsible for the shipment of the defective unit back to the ASUS repair facility." but give an option to purchase a return label.

But I guess given the situation ASUS is trying to make things right so asking politely might get them to help you.

Best of luck, hopefully they are able to earn your trust back!

Compuwiz