cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

"ECN" is the name of the component that causes startup problems on Crosshair Hero / Hero Wifi / Dark Hero and Formula X570 motherboards.

My motherboard repaired at Asus Service has not arrived yet. But I will test it when it arrives. In my conversation with Asus Turkey RMA, they said that the ECN has been changed.

I've posted this message to let people who have the same problem know.
AMD RYZEN 9 7900X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-E GAMING WIFI | ASUS ROG STRIX LC III 360 ARGB | G.SKILL TridentZ5 NEO RGB 2X24GB 6400Mhz CL32 | ASUS TUF Radeon RX 7800XT | Asus ROG Strix SCOPE | Asus ROG GLADIUS II CORE | XPG SX8200PRO 2TB nVME | Corsair RM1000x Shift 80+ Gold | Corsair 5000D Case

I got the replacement based on the special program. Still no problems, but a few days can't tell a lot.

Anyway, the replacement looks like a new board.

Xairoo wrote:
I got the replacement based on the special program. Still no problems, but a few days can't tell a lot.

Anyway, the replacement looks like a new board.

Motherboard just arrived. I will test it this week.

In the technical service report, it says that a component named ECN has been changed, the BIOS version has been updated to the latest version, and all ports have been checked.

I hope I don't have the same problem again.
AMD RYZEN 9 7900X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-E GAMING WIFI | ASUS ROG STRIX LC III 360 ARGB | G.SKILL TridentZ5 NEO RGB 2X24GB 6400Mhz CL32 | ASUS TUF Radeon RX 7800XT | Asus ROG Strix SCOPE | Asus ROG GLADIUS II CORE | XPG SX8200PRO 2TB nVME | Corsair RM1000x Shift 80+ Gold | Corsair 5000D Case

@Xairoo
did you send in your mainboard to get a replacement device, or did you send in your mainboard after receiving a new board?

Orodruin wrote:
I have been using my computer intensively for two days. I reverted to version 3801. And there seems to be no errors for now.

I've rebooted multiple times. I put it to sleep mode and woke it back up. It did not repeat the same problem. I'll test it for a while and see if it's the same problem.

What is the exact cause of this problem? Is the BIOS update breaking the motherboard? Or is there another reason? Has an explanation been made about this?

Two days means nothing, sometimes I have 3 weeks no error, or I have 10 errors in 3 weeks, it's completely random.

----------------------

It just depends on how you use your computer, I've had it on for 3 weeks now because I need it to render. He was 100% stable then.

But after I put him manually to sleep 5 times, then I got the error again after 3 weeks of a 100% stable rendering period.

Has there been a determination of whether a batch of these boards are affected or all of them since initial release, if anyone knows? By most of the responses that ASUS hasn't yet put out a statement as to the time line of replacement. I am still on 3801 was bout to flash to 4201 to get rid of the issues but this brings a new `sadpanda` level light on the normally sold hardware.

NuadaXXX wrote:
Two days means nothing, sometimes I have 3 weeks no error, or I have 10 errors in 3 weeks, it's completely random.

----------------------

It just depends on how you use your computer, I've had it on for 3 weeks now because I need it to render. He was 100% stable then.

But after I put him manually to sleep 5 times, then I got the error again after 3 weeks of a 100% stable rendering period.

Unfortunately, the problem is hardware. At first I thought it was the BIOS version. But it is not. As you said, it repeats later. Likewise, opening or waking up problems occur.

JBROG87 wrote:
Did they say any more details about it ? Is this something that will eventually brick the motherboard? Or will it just have this behaviour without getting worse

No he says only, that they have found the issue on my motherboard, and i need a new, but i have my broken MB still, i wait for a exchange, they have only analyzed the bios Profiles from me, and have found the issue.

My system has 5900X processor, Asus ROG Crosshair X570 motherboard, 4X16GB Gskill NEO 3600Mhz GTZNC memories, EVGA RTX 3070TI FTW3 graphics card and BeQuiet Straightpower 11 850+ Gold Psu.

And I am having the same boot issue. I ran into this problem after installing BIOS 4201 (Agesa 1.2.0.7).

Sometimes, when I want to restart the computer, especially after long hours of shutdown, it becomes unresponsive.

Turning the PSU power switch off and back on fixes the problem.

I wonder if going back to the old BIOS or updating the BIOS with the USB Flashback method will solve the problem?

It looks like a BIOS issue, not a hardware issue.
I had loaded the BIOS with EZFlash from within the BIOS. Could this be the reason? I don't want to deal with warranty processes. It takes too long.

Can you give an idea for the solution?

Orodruin wrote:
My system has 5900X processor, Asus ROG Crosshair X570 motherboard, 4X16GB Gskill NEO 3600Mhz GTZNC memories, EVGA RTX 3070TI FTW3 graphics card and BeQuiet Straightpower 11 850+ Gold Psu.

And I am having the same boot issue. I ran into this problem after installing BIOS 4201 (Agesa 1.2.0.7).

Sometimes, when I want to restart the computer, especially after long hours of shutdown, it becomes unresponsive.

Turning the PSU power switch off and back on fixes the problem.

I wonder if going back to the old BIOS or updating the BIOS with the USB Flashback method will solve the problem?

It looks like a BIOS issue, not a hardware issue.
I had loaded the BIOS with EZFlash from within the BIOS. Could this be the reason? I don't want to deal with warranty processes. It takes too long.

Can you give an idea for the solution?

Hardware issue. Confirmed by Asus. Replacement program in development.
Just check the latest messages in this thread and don't be lazy.