cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

Exact same issue but with a ROG Crosshair Hero VIII (Wi-Fi). Created a new thread for it since it's a different board https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?128863-Crosshair-VIII-Hero-(Wi-Fi)-post-issues

My system was fine until update from 2502 to 4006 now i have the boot/restart problem. Is it possible to go back to 2502? Why is this just occurring after update BIOS? Why would people be getting swaps?

Just an update from STARRAIN@ROG
Hi Xairoo,
I'm sorry due to the impact of covid-19 epidemic, the replacement work and shipping is postponed, and the discussion of the replacement plan is stopped temporarily. Although the estimated time would be the beginning of June, it is hard to estimate when it would recover so far. However, I will keep you updated if it is early or delayed. If you don't want to wait, please let me know.
Thank you.

Xiaroo wrote this less than 4 months ago:
Xairoo wrote:
Just an update from STARRAIN@ROG

Hi Xairoo,
I'm sorry due to the impact of covid-19 epidemic, the replacement work and shipping is postponed, and the discussion of the replacement plan is stopped temporarily. Although the estimated time would be the beginning of June, it is hard to estimate when it would recover so far. However, I will keep you updated if it is early or delayed. If you don't want to wait, please let me know.
Thank you.

and now the exchange program is supposed to be over? omfg

cerealpiller wrote:
My system was fine until update from 2502 to 4006 now i have the boot/restart problem. Is it possible to go back to 2502? Why is this just occurring after update BIOS? Why would people be getting swaps?

This article I came across is very interesting https://www.pcgamer.com/update-your-motherboard-with-caution-amds-latest-bios-is-causing-trouble-for...

It's more or less OC related for the majority, but it doesn't mean the issues we are facing could be related somehow!

I've been having the same exact issue since last summer when I built my new machine.

- Dark Hero VIII
- Ryzen 5900x
- EVGA 3090 FTW3
- G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 64GB F4-3600C14Q-64GTZR
- Corsair HX Series HX1200 ATX

For what it's worth I also have a Cooler Master H500M, which includes a hub controller for RGB. A lot of these posts seem to be pretty similar in terms of hardware.......

Occasionally after shutdown it will just refuse to turn back on until I cycle the PSU. I've also had instances of this occurring even after simply putting the machine into sleep mode. I've also had a couple instances of the CPU mysteriously downclocking itself after leaving the computer alone long enough for it to go idle (after which I'm forced to restart to get it to clock back up).

Decoris wrote:
I've been having the same exact issue since last summer when I built my new machine.

- Dark Hero VIII
- Ryzen 5900x
- EVGA 3090 FTW3
- G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 64GB F4-3600C14Q-64GTZR
- Corsair HX Series HX1200 ATX

For what it's worth I also have a Cooler Master H500M, which includes a hub controller for RGB. A lot of these posts seem to be pretty similar in terms of hardware.......

That's true, I had this issue, and I was running a similar setup.
Dark Hero
Ryzen 5950x
MSI 3090
Corsair 3600 cl14 ram 16x4
Corsair HX1200i

Currently swapped Dark Hero with MSI X570S ACE MAX, and the setup is running well with the identical rest of the components, no sleep/startup issues, no hard PSU power cycle required to startup anymore. I wonder if the PSU is the factor here. Since you mentioned that you are using an HX1200. (not HX1200i, but it should be similar, I think)

I just purchased 5800X3D and set up another machine with 5800X3D with the Dark Hero (the one I have this startup issue). The PSU I used there is an EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G3, running an EVGA 3080 ti. Nost sure if I will run into the same issue since the machine just got put together this weekend.

gpc2022 wrote:
That's true, I had this issue, and I was running a similar setup.

I just purchased 5800X3D and set up another machine with 5800X3D with the Dark Hero (the one I have this startup issue). The PSU I used there is an EVGA SuperNOVA 1000G3, running an EVGA 3080 ti. Nost sure if I will run into the same issue since the machine just got put together this weekend.

Silly me, the same issue occurred.

Dear moderators,

Please stop asking people for specs etc and regurgitating the same information and troubleshooting tips. The issue is with THE BOARD ITSELF. The community has already concluded this, not the PSU, RAM or anything else.

I've always bought high end ASUS boards and recommended them to friends. This unfortunately stops today. Really disappointing that pretty much a year later this has not been addressed by ASUS. A simple RMA clearly isn't the solution as there are still boards in the wild with the exact same issue, you are asking customers to roll the dice and hope they don't get a faulty board. Not the mention the downtime they would have to endure whilst they wait.

PLEASE ESCULATE THE ISSUE TO THE RELEVANT TEAM/ENGINEERS IMMEDIATELY!

I've been dealing with this since the board was released and its FUSTRATING. Only solution is to sacrifice the sleep function which is not ideal.
Every day a new thread on other tech forums opens with people expressing the same symptoms.
It's a shame because the Dark Hero is otherwise a perfect board.

I will also be opening threads elsewhere leading people facing the issue here until either ASUS addresses the problem or a class action is filed.

I'm sorry for all of you, but I think you should expect nothing more from this brand.
Other brands suffered hardware problems and took steps to quickly implement replacements.
Here, only one person is trying to deal with this problem but it only seems like wind...
After making us hang around for more than a year to end up using the COVID excuse again to do nothing (I admire your patience Xairoo).

I really waited until the last moment, hoping like you to see something positive, unfortunately I recently started experiencing repeated BSOD.
Is it due to rising temperatures? or a component on the motherboard that was starting to die? I will probably never know given the silence we face with this brand that snubs us and takes us for idiots in the hope that this affair does not leak out in the mainstream computer media (which is a sad that it hasn't happened yet).

I stop there the spread of my dissatisfaction.
I had no choice but to act quickly, so I replaced this board with an Aorus Master X570S, and what can I say, except that I can finally boot without unplugging/replugging the power supply, that I can take advantage of fast boot, WOL, that temperature sensors and a sound sensor are included which is practical for monitoring the OC, that the XMP profile of my RAM went on the first try, where with ROG I had to tweak the FLK to try to reach a value close to the XMP without crashing everything...

Farewell Asus, shame on you!