cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

Hi all,
I have the same issue as everyone else.

Manufacturer was so kind enough to replace PSU (Corsair RM Series RM850x), CPU (AMD Ryzen 9 5950X), Memory (G.Skill Ripjaws V F4-3600C16Q-64GVKC) and of course the infamous MB "Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero" as precaution.

Old MB: Part No: 90MB1760 - M0EAY0 - Check number X5T2 Made in China

New MB: Part No: 90MB1760 - M0EAY0 - Check number 5L5W Made in China

Running since April 4th, 2022 on new MB. Startup issue occurred again today April 24th this morning when the PC wouldn't start. Just terrible!
Are there any members out there that can confirm they don't have any issues? Could be that the majority do have the exact same issue but don't find it important or annoying enough to report 🙂

Thanks.

It would be REALLY helpful if Asus just came out and stated what the issue is they have identified and how it is fixed?
If it is a hardware issue then just state and help customers with the RMA process!

I bought my motherboard from Scan in the UK and they have accepted a RMA on the condition they can replicate the fault.
It is then covered by a 48hr replacement scheme they run.
As i cannot replicate the fault myself (some days it powers on, some days it don't) there is little hope they will and they state it would need to be sent to Asus for testing which would take 3 to 5 weeks.

As I use the computer daily I cannot afford to be without a PC for 3 to 5 weeks in the hopes it gets fixed 😕

I like Asus products, but if this was a £100 motherboard I would truly just throw it in the bin and buy from elsewhere!

Come on Asus, this thread is several months old now and this is one of your premium products that got issues without a resolution......

WildBill wrote:

Come on Asus, this thread is several months old now and this is one of your premium products that got issues without a resolution......

Agree, was surprised as well, no mentioning of the root cause or if they were able to identify the problem. Don't get me wrong, I love Asus products, but this is pretty ****ty on how they treat their customers/TUF-ROG enthusiasts.
What are the chances that this can be fixed via a BIOS update ? Zero? or should we consider it's indeed a hardware/capacitors failure on the MB?

I tried the following workaround:
Disable the fast boot in BIOS, as I read somewhere it could fix the issue. Actually on my end it got worst, had to turn off and on the PSU on a daily basis 😄
I still have to test the ErP S4 + S5 enabled in BIOS as it could solve the boot/startup problems from what I read. Will test and report back, unless someone already did 😄

BluRay wrote:

I still have to test the ErP S4 + S5 enabled in BIOS as it could solve the boot/startup problems from what I read. Will test and report back, unless someone already did 😄

ERP S4 + S5 definitely helps.

BASI1990 wrote:
ERP S4 + S5 definitely helps.

Not for me. Also, does everyone have issues with restarting as well? If I restart the PC it struggles to post.

New BIOS beta version available for ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

Version 4201 Betaversion
2022/04/29 20.77 MB
ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO BIOS 4201
"1. Update AGESA version to ComboV2PI 1207.
2. Improve system stability.

ShokWaveD wrote:
Not for me. Also, does everyone have issues with restarting as well? If I restart the PC it struggles to post.

Hi ShokWaveD,
No restart issues observed on my ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

BluRay wrote:

Are there any members out there that can confirm they don't have any issues? Could be that the majority do have the exact same issue but don't find it important or annoying enough to report 🙂

I will probably jinx myself saying this but my Dark Hero has never required me to cycle the PSU power switch to boot. Part number indicates it was made in China, though that does not seem to be a factor for this issue. I bought the mobo from New Egg in January of 2021. First boot was in April 2021. Currently running BIOS 4006.

Asus support got back to me and stated the following (I have removed their name etc):-
"Hi WildBill,
Do you live in UK?
For motherboard, our tech team have found the solution to fix this issue but we have to do the special repair in our RMA center.
The RMA should be sent by the retailer in most of countries in Europe."

This to me indicates it is a component degrading over time and going out of tolerances causing the issue.
My computer been working fine for months until about 6 weeks ago and the issue is increasing in frequency to support my theory. (no hardware been changed)
Guess it's time to RMA but the 3 to 5 weeks turnaround and getting a refurbed product back is not ideal.

Scan in the UK have a 48hr replacement if they find a fault so I guess I just need to wait for it to fail completely and then get it replaced in a few days.

Kinda annoying but it is what it is......

WildBill wrote:

Scan in the UK have a 48hr replacement if they find a fault so I guess I just need to wait for it to fail completely and then get it replaced in a few days.

Kinda annoying but it is what it is......

The thing that worries me, even if you get a new MB from the retailer, the exact same issue might occur again ? Happened to me in this particular case.
We need some clarification on which Part/Check Number MB that aren't affected regarding the startup issue, in case the retailer decides to swap the MB for new one.
Otherwise what's the point of swapping the MB if the issue is recurring. :confused: