cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

After updating to BIOS v3801 I could no longer enter BIOS - got the Black Screen instead.

I got around the problem by changing my video card-to-monitor interface from my normal Display Port to HDMI. (I found an on-line you tube suggesting this).

As crazy as it sounds, it worked. I made my changes in BIOS configuration, saved and exited. Now I'm back on Display Port and normal usage is fine. I just have to over to HDMI for future BIOS changes.

Good luck!

After checking the amazing configuration of your system, I am also puzzled why your Asus Dark Hero is showing errors like startup issue. You need to carefully check whether all of the power cables are properly connected or not. Or Maybe it has something to do with a defective hardware component. You need to consult Asus repairing center.

Albert90 wrote:
After checking the amazing configuration of your system, I am also puzzled why your Asus Dark Hero is showing errors like startup issue. You need to carefully check whether all of the power cables are properly connected or not. Or Maybe it has something to do with a defective hardware component. You need to consult Asus repairing center.

What are you trying to say? Wrong thread? Or who are you replying to?

Albert90 wrote:

?

After almost half a year, we have without a fraction of a doubt identified the Motherboard being at fault for this issue, no other components.
This is either a hardware fault or poor bios or combination of both.

Either way, ASUS is at fault

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi all,
If you have the startup issue when using the ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO motherboard, please describe the issue in details.
I'll contact you and arrange the repair for you via PM.
If you have the similar issue when using other motherboard model, please create a new thread for discussing.
Thank you so much.

I had bought my ROG Dark Hero VIII in late January from Amazon; the box says it was manufactured 2021-12 in Vietnam.

I have the exact same issue described by OP; PC is on everything is fine. After the PC is off for a while, the power button won't work anymore and the system won't power on. Then I toggle the PSU switch for 2-3 seconds or until the remaining LED lights turn off (i.e. the START button); and only then does the system power on and boot up.

I've tried some of the C4/C5 powerstate "fixes" as well and that doesn't make a difference here.

Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series HX750

Please help me start the replacement process STARRAIN@ROG ( I will also DM you )

Replaced my PSU with the ASUS ROG THOR 1200W, problem still persists.
My ram is listed on the dark hero website
3080 geforce
asus dark hero
ryzen 5900x

Has anyone here already accepted the offer and had their motherboard replaced/repaired by ASUS?

-Did you get a new or refurbished board? ->If you got a refurbished mainboard, what is the condition of the board?

-Can you see where exactly the board was repaired or what was changed?

-Did you get a replacement mainboard before you sent in the old one or did you have to send in the board and didn't have a mainboard for so long? ->If you didn't get a replacement mainboard, how long did you have to wait for the repaired board.

I'm also experiencing the power issue with the ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO (BIOS ver. 4006). I purchased it new through Amazon late January 2022. All of my components are also new. I'm using it with a Seasonic PRIME TX-850 PSU and Ryzen 9 5950x CPU. For me, the desktop does not start up after being off for several days to a week. The lights will be on on the motherboard but it won't start up, even if I use the start button on the motherboard. To get it to turn on, I have to power off the PSU, wait for the motherboard lights to turn off, then power the PSU back on. Only then the desktop will power on. I have another, nearly identical build but with the CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WiFi) and that one works great. However my build with the ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO is having issues powering on.

Now started to get the exact same issue that been increasing in frequency to daily now 😞
PC will not power on, have to remove power cord to PSU then wait for the motherboard light to go off etc.
Once the PC is on it works fine.
Built this system in November and it's been working fine for months without issue until recently.
I flashed to the latest (4006) bios yesterday in the hope it would resolve the issue but it occurred again this morning.

ROG Crosshair Dark VIII Hero
4x8G CorVenLPX DDR4 4000C16AMD
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Retail Box
Samsung 980Pro 1TB M.2 PCIe4
ASUS ROG Strix 1000W Gold PSU

Please advise how to resolve this issue?

WildBill wrote:
Now started to get the exact same issue that been increasing in frequency to daily now 😞
PC will not power on, have to remove power cord to PSU then wait for the motherboard light to go off etc.
Once the PC is on it works fine.
Built this system in November and it's been working fine for months without issue until recently.
I flashed to the latest (4006) bios yesterday in the hope it would resolve the issue but it occurred again this morning.

ROG Crosshair Dark VIII Hero
4x8G CorVenLPX DDR4 4000C16AMD
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X Retail Box
Samsung 980Pro 1TB M.2 PCIe4
ASUS ROG Strix 1000W Gold PSU

Please advise how to resolve this issue?

Asus says, this problem requires a hardware fix.

Asus is currently preparing a replacement solution, they are still working on it.
But a replacement means you'll get a used board with the hardware fix.

Please get in contact with STARRAIN@ROG and tell him your serial number.