cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

JerJer123 wrote:
Another update almost a week later - so far so good with the replacement motherboard. Have not ran into the issue.

Hey all, it's been a little over 3 months since having my board replaced (the non dark hero version) and I have not had the issue re-occur. Hopefully it stays that way.

Disappointed to see that Asus hasn't really properly addressed this obvious issue.

JerJer123 wrote:
Hey all, it's been a little over 3 months since having my board replaced (the non dark hero version) and I have not had the issue re-occur. Hopefully it stays that way.

Disappointed to see that Asus hasn't really properly addressed this obvious issue.

Thank you for keeping us updated.
If something should change and the mainboard starts to cause problems again, please let us know.

Has anyone accepted the exchange from ASUS to get a refurbished motherboard?
If so, please keep us posted if the error went away with the motherboard replacement or if it's still there.

JerJer123 wrote:

Your replacement is from the lottery.
Means... Asus hasn't found the possible fix before you got the replacement.

But Asus is preparing a replacement program with that fix already applied.

I've built two systems (one for myself, and one for my best friend) using two Strix B550 Gaming XE mainboards.
Both of them have these issues, before i've used two ASRock B550 Taichi Mainboards with the same components without any problems. Pretty disappointed by ASUS at this point.

itzdevilsown wrote:
I've built two systems (one for myself, and one for my best friend) using two Strix B550 Gaming XE mainboards.
Both of them have these issues, before i've used two ASRock B550 Taichi Mainboards with the same components without any problems. Pretty disappointed by ASUS at this point.

Kinda crazy how many Asus boards are affected by this issue, wtf is Asus doing?

Btw, any progress on getting this topic talked about by the wider Tech media Like GamersNexus ?

My dark hero board has this exact issue which will lock up require power cycling the PSU to restart my PC. I paid for shipping and sent in my board to Asus for repair about 2 weeks ago and just got it back this afternoon. The repair detail shows - "Can not duplicate customer's reported issue, however Bios/Firmware/Software were updated for optimal performance"

I think I am out for ~$500 for this board ($450 for the board + repair shipping) and wasted my time researching this issue and going through the RMA process. I now have this board back that I also need to send to e-Waste for recycling. This really not an experience I expected buying from Asus.

gpc2022 wrote:
My dark hero board has this exact issue which will lock up require power cycling the PSU to restart my PC.

What is system specifications.

RedSector73 wrote:
What is system specifications.

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
MSI RTX 3090 Gaming X Trio
64G CMW32GX4M2Z3600C14

Looks like the interval for this issue has changed dramatically for me.
Haven't had it since a few weeks, until yesterday. Interval is getting longer. No idea why.
Magical self healing? 😃

Anyway... I think the general hardware quality is getting worse and worse from year to year.
I am faced with more hardware faults than years ago, with new products.
Maybe it's just bad luck, but I have noticed an increased amount of faulty hardware also from others.
Specially from manufacturers. Sometimes they get faked (relabeled) parts or B quality. Of course it depends on the source.
And not every manufacturer can pay testing the parts using electrical tests, x-ray and chemical tests like the car industry does when they get parts from brokers.

I just wonder what happened to Asus.
What's the problem? What work has to be done?
Soldering a new connection?
Cut a connection on the PCB?
Replacing a BGA?

Asus, please let us know, detailed. I love soldering, also with a heat gun and I don't care if it's a 0201 package type SMD component or a BGA or what ever.

I have the same problem with a Dark Hero MB, Been working fine for the last year, but a couple of weeks ago I started getting the no start from power button unless I completely discharge power. Start switch on MB is always white when this happens. System is used daily, turned on when I get home from work, turned off when I go to bed.

It doesn't happen every time, might get 4 days starts, 2 days doesn't.

System specs:

Dark Hero MB Bios 3801
Ryzen 5900x
Gskill F4-4000c16d032gtzna Trident Z Neo
EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 Power Supply

I've had Asus boards for years, But having read how they are dealing with this and sending out refurbed boards as replacement for a premium priced MB, I doubt I will ever buy their products again.