cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

NuadaXXX wrote:
I'm back to 3401 because the new 3601-4001 bios doesn't boost that high with 3401 I go straight up too 5200 MHz with 5950x Curve all -30 (1.492v Perfect) 716 CPU-Z Single Score and with the others 670-685

ComboAM4v2 1.2.0.1A has the best performance. it was also wih the old MB from me.

and the new bios are forced to have TPM activated. if i deactivate it, its automatic again on after a reboot. with TPM off the Frametimes are much better.

now my system is again silky smooth 3601-4001 is only a s-h-i-t show

As long fTPM is forced, I do not update

Hello Nuada, is there a particular procedure to downgrade the BIOS ?

tony-rambo wrote:
Hello Nuada, is there a particular procedure to downgrade the BIOS ?

https://www.hardwareluxx.de/community/threads/ultimative-am4-uefi-bios-agesa-%C3%9Cbersicht.1228903/

download and flash nothing special and reset cmos after flash and dont load a profile from usb

NuadaXXX wrote:
I'm back to 3401 because the new 3601-4001 bios doesn't boost that high with 3401 I go straight up too 5200 MHz with 5950x Curve all -30 (1.492v Perfect) 716 CPU-Z Single Score and 14k Multi and with the newer 670-685 - Multi 11k

ComboAM4v2 1.2.0.1A has the best performance. it was also wih the old MB from me.

and the new bios are forced to have TPM activated. if i deactivate it, its automatic again on after a reboot. with TPM off the Frametimes are much better.

now my system is again silky smooth 3601-4001 is only a s-h-i-t show

As long fTPM is forced, I do not update

wait wtf? can others and asus @STARRAIN verify, that the garbage x570 dark hero with the latest bios doesn't let you fully disable the TPM garbage anymore?

are we back to dumpster fire UN"secure boot" trying to get forced in by microsoft times?
remember those days as microsoft tried to break gnu + linux installations as good as they could?

and how do you check to make sure, that any TPM is completely disabled in gnu + linux or spyware windows?

also i experienced the x570 dark hero start up issue a few times and decided to completely return the motherboard.
it has been over 5 months! how many engineers are working on this problem of 450 euro motherboards straight up not switching on?
how many resources are focused on this?

this is a damn disgrace! something tells me, that if this issue happened on an enterprise server board, that it would have gotten solved within 1 month! through software or hardware fixes.

linara wrote:
wait wtf? can others and asus @STARRAIN verify, that the garbage x570 dark hero with the latest bios doesn't let you fully disable the TPM garbage anymore?

are we back to dumpster fire UN"secure boot" trying to get forced in by microsoft times?
remember those days as microsoft tried to break gnu + linux installations as good as they could?

and how do you check to make sure, that any TPM is completely disabled in gnu + linux or spyware windows?

also i experienced the x570 dark hero start up issue a few times and decided to completely return the motherboard.
it has been over 5 months! how many engineers are working on this problem of 450 euro motherboards straight up not switching on?
how many resources are focused on this?

this is a damn disgrace! something tells me, that if this issue happened on an enterprise server board, that it would have gotten solved within 1 month! through software or hardware fixes.

a colleague also has the dark hero and can't turn tpm off either, it turns on again automatically. That's 100% not my fault, with 3401 I can turn it on and off as often as I want and it doesn't change it self.

I also don't know what's going on with Asus at the moment, probably the pros were kicked out and now there have only prog nobs in the team, I can't explain it me any other way 😞

till today there is also no 3090 Strix oc 500w+ bios. in the old times a strix was the best and today it has no support anymore.

Hi all,

For my new PC build I have chosen Asus Dark Hero based on my previous good experience with Asus Maximus Ranger VIII.
As of now I have tested 7 Dark Heroes (4 from Newegg, 2 BHPhoto&Video, 1 Amazon), all of them were made in Vietnam, all 7 were faulty - mobo won't POST, Q-Code 00, yellow LED ON OR it won't wake up from sleep/hibernation. I tried different memory kits from QVL list, different PSUs, nothing helped. Tried everything suggested in this thread - S4+S5 settings, stealth mode, etc.
My config looks similar if not the same to other people's in this thread:
AMD Ryzen 5900X, G Skill RGB 2x16GB (or TEAM ARGB 2x16GB), PSU 1000W+

Thanks to the guy who mentioned Z690 recall for mobos made in Vietnam, it kinda explains a lot about Dark Hero issues. It feels the same - memory power and RGB management doesn't work great on this mobo, sometimes it won't light up, sometimes it will, but PC won't POST. And this is QVL memory. I have also tried with non-RGB memory - same issue. You have to disconnect power completely to discharge some capacitor and let it start (not 100% though).

On one hand - many people have no problems with Dark Hero and praise this mobo as the best, on another - there's a 40 page thread of people returning their mobos just to get another with the same issue. I like feature set on this mobo, but quality control is just absent. 5th mobo of 7 I tested had broken capacitor legs and overall look very poorly assembled. This is beyond acceptable. At first I was frustrated, but now I'm just curious - can I get the working one? I keep sending them back to retailers just to receive another one defective.

I told myself I'd stop at number 10. 3 more attempts and I'm giving up on ASUS products.

Thanks to all people in this thread sharing their stories, suggesting workarounds and mentioning related issues for another mobos from ASUS.
As an alternative to Dark Hero I'm thinking about Gigabyte's AORUS Master or MSI's MEG X570 ACE.

Regards!

yobavip wrote:
Hi all,

For my new PC build I have chosen Asus Dark Hero based on my previous good experience with Asus Maximus Ranger VIII.
As of now I have tested 7 Dark Heroes (4 from Newegg, 2 BHPhoto&Video, 1 Amazon), all of them were made in Vietnam, all 7 were faulty - mobo won't POST, Q-Code 00, yellow LED ON OR it won't wake up from sleep/hibernation. I tried different memory kits from QVL list, different PSUs, nothing helped. Tried everything suggested in this thread - S4+S5 settings, stealth mode, etc.
My config looks similar if not the same to other people's in this thread:
AMD Ryzen 5900X, G Skill RGB 2x16GB (or TEAM ARGB 2x16GB), PSU 1000W+

Thanks to the guy who mentioned Z690 recall for mobos made in Vietnam, it kinda explains a lot about Dark Hero issues. It feels the same - memory power and RGB management doesn't work great on this mobo, sometimes it won't light up, sometimes it will, but PC won't POST. And this is QVL memory. I have also tried with non-RGB memory - same issue. You have to disconnect power completely to discharge some capacitor and let it start (not 100% though).

On one hand - many people have no problems with Dark Hero and praise this mobo as the best, on another - there's a 40 page thread of people returning their mobos just to get another with the same issue. I like feature set on this mobo, but quality control is just absent. 5th mobo of 7 I tested had broken capacitor legs and overall look very poorly assembled. This is beyond acceptable. At first I was frustrated, but now I'm just curious - can I get the working one? I keep sending them back to retailers just to receive another one defective.

I told myself I'd stop at number 10. 3 more attempts and I'm giving up on ASUS products.

Thanks to all people in this thread sharing their stories, suggesting workarounds and mentioning related issues for another mobos from ASUS.
As an alternative to Dark Hero I'm thinking about Gigabyte's AORUS Master or MSI's MEG X570 ACE.

Regards!

Hi yobavip, I have also researched for another motherboard, and the only alternative seems to be the MSI MEG X570s Ace Max. The Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme should have the same problems with the sleep mode and some other problems. I am not sure about the Gigabyte Aorus Master. I get back a new Asus dark hero motherboard next week after one month and 12 days! But after all, I guess I will still have the problem. The next motherboard I will buy, first I will search for "problems" about that motherboard in google.

cosanoma wrote:
Hi yobavip, I have also researched for another motherboard, and the only alternative seems to be the MSI MEG X570s Ace Max. The Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme should have the same problems with the sleep mode and some other problems. I am not sure about the Gigabyte Aorus Master. I get back a new Asus dark hero motherboard next week after one month and 12 days! But after all, I guess I will still have the problem. The next motherboard I will buy, first I will search for "problems" about that motherboard in google.

can you please link the references for the GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Xtreme having sleep mode issues and some other problems?
as probably lots of people here i am either hoping, that asus fixes all problems with their garbage motherboard or get another motherboard, so i looked at the gigabyte aorus master and the msi meg x570s ace max.

the gigabyte loses: 2nd network adapter, 2 sata parts pcie 4x1 slot.
msi meg x570s ace max loses: 2nd network adapter, potentially loses pcie 4x1 slot (msi support literally wrote nonsense, when asking whether the bottom most slot can be used alongside all 8 sata ports) and ECC SUPPORT. it seems for some reason msi thinks, that basic ecc suport on 450 euro motherboards isn't a senseful feature, despite its implementation cost being close to 0 i assume.

so it is quite a horrible decision to make, because no ECC means, that the system can never get turned into a server or be run as a ZFS storage system ever as ZFS requires ECC (ZFS trust the ram over spinning rust). going with the gigabyte board means losing 2 sata ports and i am already port starved at 6 and buying a decent pci-e sata card might cost 100 euros and then you gotta look at proper driver support in all OSs you use and you are giving up another pci-e slot to use it.... which then means that you lose 2 pci-e slots compared to the dark hero, so now you might not even be able to do pci-e passthrough vms properly in the future, because you might want to use some usb-cards or other stuff just to isolate them for a VM.

also while asus produces motherboards, that catch fire, gigabyte produces PSUs, that explode. difference? asus didn't try to keep the exploding hardware on the market and attack tech journalists for exposing them ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JmPUr-BeEM )

it's a damn headache finding a motherboard these days, ignoring the fact, that they are massively overcharging for them already.

sorry for the half rant at this point and again please share any references you have for the GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Xtreme as lots here are certainly curious about this too and whether ithe gigabyte aorus master x570s can also be effected by this issue.

linara wrote:
can you please link the references for the GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Xtreme having sleep mode issues and some other problems?
as probably lots of people here i am either hoping, that asus fixes all problems with their garbage motherboard or get another motherboard, so i looked at the gigabyte aorus master and the msi meg x570s ace max.

the gigabyte loses: 2nd network adapter, 2 sata parts pcie 4x1 slot.
msi meg x570s ace max loses: 2nd network adapter, potentially loses pcie 4x1 slot (msi support literally wrote nonsense, when asking whether the bottom most slot can be used alongside all 8 sata ports) and ECC SUPPORT. it seems for some reason msi thinks, that basic ecc suport on 450 euro motherboards isn't a senseful feature, despite its implementation cost being close to 0 i assume.

so it is quite a horrible decision to make, because no ECC means, that the system can never get turned into a server or be run as a ZFS storage system ever as ZFS requires ECC (ZFS trust the ram over spinning rust). going with the gigabyte board means losing 2 sata ports and i am already port starved at 6 and buying a decent pci-e sata card might cost 100 euros and then you gotta look at proper driver support in all OSs you use and you are giving up another pci-e slot to use it.... which then means that you lose 2 pci-e slots compared to the dark hero, so now you might not even be able to do pci-e passthrough vms properly in the future, because you might want to use some usb-cards or other stuff just to isolate them for a VM.

also while asus produces motherboards, that catch fire, gigabyte produces PSUs, that explode. difference? asus didn't try to keep the exploding hardware on the market and attack tech journalists for exposing them ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JmPUr-BeEM )

it's a damn headache finding a motherboard these days, ignoring the fact, that they are massively overcharging for them already.

sorry for the half rant at this point and again please share any references you have for the GIGABYTE X570 AORUS Xtreme as lots here are certainly curious about this too and whether ithe gigabyte aorus master x570s can also be effected by this issue.

I bought the Gigabyte Aorus Master x570s - no issues at all - glad I switched from Asus

/stix

stixix wrote:
I bought the Gigabyte Aorus Master x570s - no issues at all - glad I switched from Asus

/stix

Thanks for the confirmation, this is my #1 candidate to replace DH now.

Received (another) Dark Hero replacement from Amazon, made in Vietnam. Same behavior, sending back. 8th in a row. Embarassing.
Like the whole batch is bad or something? Why can't ASUS engineers reproduce an issue then?
It is pretty common combination which doesn't work for many people: R9 5900X, 2x16GB RGB 3600MHz RAM (pick either G Skill or Team from QVL list) and voila - it won't start!