cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

Romikemi wrote:
Adding another name to the pile. Same situation. Built a Dark Hero system for my wife on 27 Dec. It starts fine if it has only been in sleep for around 3-4 hours, it never (as in 0%) starts when it has been left overnight. Every morning, she has to toggle the PSU.

Some anomalies in my case that I don't see in other posts:
1. When I initially built the system, after a couple of reboots one of the g.skill Trident Neo 3600 sticks didn't light up. Shut down, re-seated, lit up fine and remains lit. When it didn't light up, Windows detected the memory successfully.
2. When the board gets into this power-protected state, in my case the ROG logo on the back panel hood flickers in a dark room.
3. I have hibernate and hybrid sleep disabled, and all sleep options are set to never. However, and this is a Windows issue I need to dig up, the system sleeps when I've told it to never sleep.

I have both Armoury Crate and iCue installed (5000x case), but that doesn't matter because the same problem happens for people who don't have iCue installed. Armoury Crate BIOS settings are on the default. Posters on this thread have tried every possible option with no success, so there's no point.

I recently did a Crosshair VIII Formula build for my system and I have zero problems with it, but Formula is overkill for what she needs and I'm not doing custom loop.

Yes I for instance have never even installed Armory Crate (as I heard it caused issues). I literally only have Icue installed.
Windows was a fresh Win10 install onto the Samsung 980 Pro SSD.
But I do have the issue, since day 1.

@Romikemi
had the same problem with my G.Skill RGB-RAM but it disappeared over time.
If ARMORY CRATE installs an update, the RGB lighting on the RAM module may fail or the settings may not be adopted.

Romikemi wrote:
Adding another name to the pile. Same situation. Built a Dark Hero system for my wife on 27 Dec. It starts fine if it has only been in sleep for around 3-4 hours, it never (as in 0%) starts when it has been left overnight. Every morning, she has to toggle the PSU.

Some anomalies in my case that I don't see in other posts:
1. When I initially built the system, after a couple of reboots one of the g.skill Trident Neo 3600 sticks didn't light up. Shut down, re-seated, lit up fine and remains lit. When it didn't light up, Windows detected the memory successfully.
2. When the board gets into this power-protected state, in my case the ROG logo on the back panel hood flickers in a dark room.
3. I have hibernate and hybrid sleep disabled, and all sleep options are set to never. However, and this is a Windows issue I need to dig up, the system sleeps when I've told it to never sleep.

I have both Armoury Crate and iCue installed (5000x case), but that doesn't matter because the same problem happens for people who don't have iCue installed. Armoury Crate BIOS settings are on the default. Posters on this thread have tried every possible option with no success, so there's no point.

I recently did a Crosshair VIII Formula build for my system and I have zero problems with it, but Formula is overkill for what she needs and I'm not doing custom loop.

There is a program I have used for years called Dont' Sleep. It runs in the system tray and if enabled, it will keep your computer from going to sleep. It does this by running a high priority task that prevents the computer from going into a sleep state. It is available on Major Geeks, Tech Spot, and SoftwareOK.com.

https://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Microsoft/DontSleep
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/dont_sleep.html
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5953-dont-sleep.html

BillBittel wrote:
There is a program I have used for years called Dont' Sleep. It runs in the system tray and if enabled, it will keep your computer from going to sleep. It does this by running a high priority task that prevents the computer from going into a sleep state. It is available on Major Geeks, Tech Spot, and SoftwareOK.com.

https://www.softwareok.com/?seite=Microsoft/DontSleep
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/dont_sleep.html
https://www.techspot.com/downloads/5953-dont-sleep.html

Thanks, Bill.

I'm toying with the possibility of thermal shutdown at this point. My focus is on Fan Xpert ignoring my curves, but then if I just click Apply in AI Suite, the curves are respected and the fans jump up to what I've set. Then everything cools down nicely.

Last night, I found not only the back fan was shut off entirely, but the curves were changed from what I set. /fistwave.

So I'm looking at thermal protective shutdown for the moment.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi all,
I'm afraid the random startup issue is still under analysis.

@STARRAIN -- could you clarify what this means? Have Asus been able to observe the issue at least once (and just not understand the cause yet)? Or simply have not even been able to reproduce a single instance of the issue?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi all,
Although our tech team cannot reproduce the issue with the motherboard on hand, some customers have sent the motherboard to RMA.
We cannot reproduce the issue on all of those customers' motherboards but we have seen the issue few times.
However, it doesn't occur every time, so it is hard to reproduce the issue. We need more time to do further experiments to find the root cause.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi all,
Although our tech team cannot reproduce the issue with the motherboard on hand, some customers have sent the motherboard to RMA.
We cannot reproduce the issue on all of those customers' motherboards but we have seen the issue few times.
However, it doesn't occur every time, so it is hard to reproduce the issue. We need more time to do further experiments to find the root cause.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

Thank you very much for the update, I and many others appreciate that.
Have a good day

I recently bought the [old] crosshair viii hero (wifi) and it has the same intermittent no power problem. Was suggested to rma, sent today

knew of the forum post about it but didn't know about this one on the dark hero

My favorite part about this mobo is spending 5-10 minutes kicking off and on the power to try to get it to restart. Hard to believe asus is having difficulty replicating the issue. I plan to make sure my next build has no asus parts.Â*

Unstable1 wrote:
I recently bought the [old] crosshair viii hero (wifi) and it has the same intermittent no power problem.

I have few of these boards, never had the issue and I've seen one other report apart from yours of a CH8 reported with this type of issue. Whatever this is Dark Hero CH8 was first multi reports of the issue and one I did build runs fine, which does not help lend support to those facing this issue.