cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

Xairoo wrote:
Totally uncool. I thought Asus got your RMA number? So they should be able to inform the guys at the repair center. Also I think they store a history with parts used (batch number and so on), where it was produced (can be multiple factories), timestamp, repair history and so on... will say: They should be able to place a note specially for the repair center guys.

That is put in a very friendly manner. Guess you feel totally different from what you have written.

What would Asus think when this would happen:

A well known YouTube PC tech guy is buying the whole system (not the storage) from someone of this thread. (I don't know why Asus hasn't done this - there are so many options to handle this)
So the seller can get a new PC and the YouTube guy could make a amazing review about that board, this thread and this issue. Also he has enough hardware to play around and can change parts over and over again. The thing is, these people earn money from companies like Asus. I don't know if they will get into this, but that would be really great. Ok, not for Asus.

Anyway, maybe I am wrong and Asus is doing more than we know.

They didn't get my RMA number, as I had to send it to the retailer, who gave me their RMA number. They then shipped to their supplier where the retailer got the suppliers RMA number. Then the supplier shipped it to the repair center, who got the RMA number, that STARRAIN@ROG was asking for. This RMA number was unavailable for me, so I couldn't pass it on to STARRAIN@ROG. But ... I passed the link to this thread along with my RMA, so they have this information. STARRAIN@ROG got the the S/N. I don't understand why ASUS (being the repair center and STARRAIN@ROG) is unable to connect the dots and keep my MB until they reproduce the error. Now I'll be stuck with a €500 ****ty frisbee. ASUS , do something to fix this please! I was expecting something better from a company with your reputation.

/stig

stixix wrote:
They didn't get my RMA number, as I had to send it to the retailer, who gave me their RMA number. They then shipped to their supplier where the retailer got the suppliers RMA number. Then the supplier shipped it to the repair center, who got the RMA number, that STARRAIN@ROG was asking for. This RMA number was unavailable for me, so I couldn't pass it on to STARRAIN@ROG. But ... I passed the link to this thread along with my RMA, so they have this information. STARRAIN@ROG got the the S/N. I don't understand why ASUS (being the repair center and STARRAIN@ROG) is unable to connect the dots and keep my MB until they reproduce the error. Now I'll be stuck with a €500 ****ty frisbee. ASUS , do something to fix this please! I was expecting something better from a company with your reputation.

/stig

SN should be enough. Big companies collect data based on the product SN like batch number from the electric parts, production date, machine number and so on.

I am totally pissed when I read new posts and still no feedback about the current state. I believe they aren't able to reproduce it (again and again: they should get a whole system from a customer).

Next board will be an Gigabyte. Never had any strange problems with Gigabyte since about 20 years?! This year the 2,5 GBit ethernet port broke, hey, that could happen. Also I wouldn't have switched to Asus, but there wasn't a Gigabyte board without a chipset fan in stock.

Something to think about: My retailer offers the customers to sell used products they have bought from them. You could find a lot of used Dark Hero boards. I guess they ran out of DOA and the RMA process will take too long. This issue is special. Most people don't get it. They think they have a bad PSU or what ever. Most of them will stick with that problem. That's the easiest way.

Xairoo wrote:
SN should be enough. Big companies collect data based on the product SN like batch number from the electric parts, production date, machine number and so on.

I am totally pissed when I read new posts and still no feedback about the current state. I believe they aren't able to reproduce it (again and again: they should get a whole system from a customer).

Next board will be an Gigabyte. Never had any strange problems with Gigabyte since about 20 years?! This year the 2,5 GBit ethernet port broke, hey, that could happen. Also I wouldn't have switched to Asus, but there wasn't a Gigabyte board without a chipset fan in stock.

Something to think about: My retailer offers the customers to sell used products they have bought from them. You could find a lot of used Dark Hero boards. I guess they ran out of DOA and the RMA process will take too long. This issue is special. Most people don't get it. They think they have a bad PSU or what ever. Most of them will stick with that problem. That's the easiest way.

It's such a weird sporadic problem. Sometimes it shuts down and powers on perfectly fine and sometimes it doesn't. Just very random. Would be a hard problem to pinpoint because it does not happen every time. Main thing to look at is what the mobo is doing right on a proper shutdown and what it is doing abnormal, during a bad one.

Everyone having these issues have 5000 series AMD's?

D-Rocky wrote:
It's such a weird sporadic problem. Sometimes it shuts down and powers on perfectly fine and sometimes it doesn't. Just very random. Would be a hard problem to pinpoint because it does not happen every time. Main thing to look at is what the mobo is doing right on a proper shutdown and what it is doing abnormal, during a bad one.

Everyone having these issues have 5000 series AMD's?

I have the 5900X - several other have this one as well - but after looking through the 300 posts, I see people also having the 3000 series are suffering from this.

Wheee - post nr. 300 🙂

stixix
Level 7
Just got information that I'm actually getting a new motherboard - I'll keep you updated when I have tested it ...

stixix wrote:
Just got information that I'm actually getting a new motherboard - I'll keep you updated when I have tested it ...

Got the "new" motherboard back - it turned out to be a used one - this is not acceptable. Have now requested a refund. Will go shopping for a new board from another vendor.

/stix

I now have all components out of the case without a working computer for weeks, and tomorrow it's going to be last day before holiday, I'm planning to buy another board, not sure if another dark hero might have a same issue? have anyone heard someone has same issue with Crosshair VIII Formula?

I really need a working computer and to be honest prefer Asus board than any other brand, but the situation is really tough.

9junes wrote:
I'm planning to buy another board, not sure if another dark hero might have a same issue?

Do not buy another Dark Hero. I returned my first DH board for a refund (because of this issue) and bought another DH from a different supplier. The issue recurred.

I don't know what proportion of DH boards have this issue -- I suspect it might be dependent on the specs of the attached components (CPU, Memory, PSU etc ...) and their interaction with the board, so perhaps some configurations are more likely to trigger the fault than others. If you've seen the issue once, I would not recommend exposing yourself to it again.

Since we've seen this issue on other X570 based boards from Asus, I would go with a different manufacturer. Even if you have that feeling, like many of us, that Asus is of higher quality, this issue shows us that it is not.

von_nihil wrote:
Do not buy another Dark Hero. I returned my first DH board for a refund (because of this issue) and bought another DH from a different supplier. The issue recurred.

I don't know what proportion of DH boards have this issue -- I suspect it might be dependent on the specs of the attached components (CPU, Memory, PSU etc ...) and their interaction with the board, so perhaps some configurations are more likely to trigger the fault than others. If you've seen the issue once, I would not recommend exposing yourself to it again.

Since we've seen this issue on other X570 based boards from Asus, I would go with a different manufacturer. Even if you have that feeling, like many of us, that Asus is of higher quality, this issue shows us that it is not.

I'm afraid you are right, it's really sad.... I've been using ASUS board since forever not they sort of force you to turn your back:(

Asus probably knows it is a manufacturing defect and will not say anything because it will cost them too much money to fix it and replace everyone's boards who have this issue. Hence why we receive no answers and/or response for this issue. Just keep saying, "oh we can't reproduce this issue, must be some of your other hardware" lol I was always a loyal ASUS buyer but for my next board I will be looking for other brands unless they are actually truthful and explain to us what is going on.