cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

Xairoo wrote:

I hope Asus will offer a customer friendly replacement if it can't be fixed within a month or so (that's a long time).

That means: Asus should send the customers a working replacement before the customer has to return this mass failing product back.

It's not only one customer having this problem. So why should the customer spend again a lot of money for a new board. Nearly no one has a replacement board lying around, specially not such a heavily priced one. And even if: What if the replacement board also starts sucking? Getting a new one? Drive to the retailer and get a replacement within the DOA? Or wait again weeks or month for the replacement? Holy, no.

I agree with this completely. I've already been around the block with a return of the board, getting a new one and experiencing the same problem. If ASUS determine that it is a BIOS issue, I expect a prompt resolution with a BIOS update. If ASUS determine it is a hardware problem, then I should receive a replacement from Asus before I have to return my current board. The problem has been going on for too long and is not a regular warranty issue.

I hope ASUS will start to feel the pressure.
I have build 2 new systems recently for a couple friends, they both wanted to go for an ASUS board but I changed their mind to an MSI board due to this unacceptable issue affecting not One, Not Two, but 3 ASUS high end boards ! (Dark Hero, Hero and Hero Wifi).
Their systems, with their MSI boards are running perfectly btw.

This situation is embarrassing, the longer it goes on, the more customers Asus will loose

von_nihil wrote:
I agree with this completely. I've already been around the block with a return of the board, getting a new one and experiencing the same problem. If ASUS determine that it is a BIOS issue, I expect a prompt resolution with a BIOS update. If ASUS determine it is a hardware problem, then I should receive a replacement from Asus before I have to return my current board. The problem has been going on for too long and is not a regular warranty issue.
Not only the Dark Hero board either. Same exact problem with ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI). Which is practically the same architecture. A new Bios just dropped for me on 12/15/21 ver. 3904. They also completely updated the Armory Crate program, so will see how this goes.

D-Rocky wrote:
Not only the Dark Hero board either. Same exact problem with ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI). Which is practically the same architecture. A new Bios just dropped for me on 12/15/21 ver. 3904. They also completely updated the Armory Crate program, so will see how this goes.

Thank you for sharing, really hope this is the fix.
@STARRAIN@ROG Would you be able to provide any information re this Bios update? Thanks in advance

9junes wrote:
Thank you for sharing, really hope this is the fix.
@STARRAIN@ROG Would you be able to provide any information re this Bios update? Thanks in advance

I am pretty certain that the new Bios update for the Hero Wifi has nothing to do with this problem.
Asus apparently has just begun investigating this issue...... they would be a long way off identifying the cause let alone coming up with a fix for it.

JBROG87 wrote:
I am pretty certain that the new Bios update for the Hero Wifi has nothing to do with this problem.
Asus apparently has just begun investigating this issue...... they would be a long way off identifying the cause let alone coming up with a fix for it.

I hope you were incorrect on this one 😛

9junes wrote:
I hope you were incorrect on this one 😛
Well my first shutdown and overnight power up the next day worked fine! lol Will see how it goes in the days and weeks to come.

Update: Second shutdown and power on required psu power to switch of/on. The bios update has not changed anything for this problem.

D-Rocky wrote:

Update: Second shutdown and power on required psu power to switch of/on. The bios update has not changed anything for this problem.

The same thing

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi stixix,
I'm afraid the issue cannot be duplicated in the repair center, so the motherboard would be the original one.

Hi 9junes,
I didn't receive the information about 3904 bios update. If you have updated it, does the issue still occur?
May I have the serial number of your motherboard via PM?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi stixix,
I'm afraid the issue cannot be duplicated in the repair center, so the motherboard would be the original one.

I would suggest that the engineering team needs to run the board for about 90 days before declaring "no problem found".
Turn it on and off as often as they can over that period until the fault recurs, which it will.
My experience was that it was very random and sometimes did not recur for a month or so. It made no difference how many times the system was shutdown.
Its intermittent. You could shut it down 50 times in a row and not experience this issue, or it could happen every day for a few consecutive days, its just random.
BIOS settings, temperature, peripherals, lighting, RAM, CPU, nothing helps.

ASUS needs to investigate this issue seriously. This is reputation damaging and I have not seen such a profound product issue like this in an ASUS board in some time. It may be that only a small proportion of boards is affected, but its still significant.

To all the posters here with this issue:
First, I really feel for you guys.
I had the exact same issue with my old Crosshair VIII Hero wi-fi. (I posted in another thread about it).
I tried everything you guys have and eventually returned the board for full refund.
I then purchased a Dark Hero, which has run perfectly over the past few months.
If I'd known that the DH was susceptible to this issue then I probably would not have bought one and would have, regretfully, left ASUS.
Fingers crossed this issue doesnt pop up with this board!

Anyhow, I used all the same hardware on the DH as I had on the CH8. So it wasnt any of my system components. The new board works flawlessly.

Like you I also played around with lots of BIOS configuration settings on the CH8, but nothing fixed it.
Then I realised that the problem couldnt be related to a setting, anyhow.
To understand this, when the system is shutdown and set to low power state then there is a kind of "handshake" between the PS and the board.
This is all implemented as per the ATX spec and basically there is a "signal" (voltage at certain pins on the ATX connector) that tells the board what state the PS is in. On the board there is a power control circuit (PCC) which manages all this. (This is not too sophisticated, it just a couple of logical states in voltages on certain pins).
IMHO this is where the fault lies and is probably a common component across these two boards (the DH and CH8).

There could be lots of reasons that the board PCC circuit is faulty, but clearly its nothing to do with the configuration settings in the BIOS because the system should power up when the start button is pressed, by design! IF there is a BIOS setting which turns out to trigger this behavior then its a fault in the firmware, not a feature!
Now some people may be thinking about the new "low power state" feature of modern PS's and Windows. Maybe a PS without this new feature is related to this issue? I dont think so. PS's compliant with version 2.4 up will handle the power state, this is just a red herring IMO. My PS did not change between my old faulty CH8 and my new DH and its powering up the PC just fine.

So dont waste anymore time on this. The boards are faulty.
ASUS needs to identify the faulty component(s), acknowledge the issue and fix/replace the boards as soon as a customer describes the symptoms, which are pretty clearly understood now.

Symptoms:

• Within a month or two of installing the board,
  • Random no startup, with no lights, no fans, no video, no nothing. Nada,
  • Work around - power off the PS, wait a few seconds and power it back on,
  • System then starts normally,
  • No pattern,
  • Intermittent.

Good luck with it guys.