cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

Hello, i have switched from gigabyte "Aorus Elite" so from one of the cheapest Mb to one of the expensive Dark Hero

and the expensive has more issues shame on you ASUS

I had the same problem, it does not start but i cant see a problem, and i have a M8 Serial number i think its relaticly new produced :mad:

The 3090 strix oc get no 500w bios the bugs from the expensive Mb get not fixed, I'm starting to wonder why I still buy asus

if i get not that fixes and all the voltage fixed that this dark hero needs i think asus had a hard time with me and the future.
and i will convince all my friends who all buy asus that they should better leave it.

i know many from "chaos computer club" and they say this bios looks really mess inside FIX IT !

5950x + 3090 Strix oc

ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero Bios = 3801

@STARRAIN

Hi any news on the issue? This tread is getting bigger and bigger, same questions are being asked, but we have no updates on the issue if its being fixed.
Did you guys managed to reproduce the problem?
Thanks

Short update: Still no problems with the new board.

Xairoo wrote:
Short update: Still no problems with the new board.

It appears to be a hardware fault then? Manufacturing fault?
Asus, can you comment ?

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi JBROG87,
Did it occur every time from power down or sleep? regardless of how long it power down or sleep?
Have you tried bios all default settings and other power supply?
May I have the bios version and the components list in your pc?
Thank you.

I don't think it was every time, but very frequent, to the point that using sleep function was pointless.
with Default BIOS settings.
I am using Ryzen 9 5950X, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo CL14 3600mhz Ram, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Seasonic Prime TX 1000 Platinum Powersupply.

bios version 3801
Have no tried other Power supply, as we all know this is a motherboard issue, nothing to do with power supply.
Enabling S4+S5 mode in Bios fixes the issue and motherboards boots without any issues every time regardless of power off, sleep or hibernation

Have you not received RMA boards back yet? Have you not replicated this issue yet? Have you not made any progress on this CRITICAL issue yet?
We need answers Asus, or you will be swamped with RMAs, believe me

Sackdragon
Level 7
Joining the club as well. Crosshair VIII Extreme that has the symptom described in this thread as if my understanding is correct.

Upon shutdown the PC does not boot. To resolve, the PSU must be manually power cycled: flip the PSU power switch to off, wait for mobo lighting to fade, flip the PSU power switch to on, then press power button on case or start button on mobo. PC boots normally.

Running the latest BIOS release available on rog.asus.com for this board (Version 0402).
New build, 2 months old. This issue began ~1.5-2 weeks ago, just outside of Newegg returns/replace window.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi all,
Although some customers have returned it to retailer or sent RMA, I'm not sure when the retailer or distributor will send it to our repair center.
We haven't received the motherboards for testing so far, but I will keep follow this case.
If the issue occurs often on your ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK motherboard, and the bios is updated to 3081 with all default setting but the issue still occurs, could you please send RMA and PM me the following information?
- the serial number and RMA number of the motherboard
- How often do the issue occur? cannot wake up or cannot start up?
- bios version and bios settings
- the pc specs of the pc
Thank you very much.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi all,
Although some customers have returned it to retailer or sent RMA, I'm not sure when the retailer or distributor will send it to our repair center.
We haven't received the motherboards for testing so far, but I will keep follow this case.
If the issue occurs often on your ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK motherboard, and the bios is updated to 3081 with all default setting but the issue still occurs, could you please send RMA and PM me the following information?
- the serial number and RMA number of the motherboard
- How often do the issue occur? cannot wake up or cannot start up?
- bios version and bios settings
- the pc specs of the pc
Thank you very much.

Good day,

Just wanted to leave a follow up here. My board should be in the service center since last week. So far I’ve only gotten automated messages stating the estimated completion date but have gotten 2 more emails since delaying the date. Status is just shown as diagnosis/repair. Starrain@rog do you know if this is being looked into? How are they testing the board? Replicating this should be straightforward.Â*

I keep seeing more and more cases for this issue pop up which quite frankly is concerning and I am getting frustrated as their is no recognition by ASUS that this issue does exist. Â*

In case you need it again:
Â*RMA Number: USPCMA5269
Serial Number: M7M0KS045631WHLÂ*

Please give us an update. Â*

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi hakai,
Sorry to keep you waiting.
I've notified our team to look into your RMA case. They received your motherboard on 11/4, but haven't reproduced the issue in repair center.
If you have any other idea helping us to reproduce the issue easier(such as specific bios settings), please let me know.
I'll keep follow up this case.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi hakai,
Sorry to keep you waiting.
I've notified our team to look into your RMA case. They received your motherboard on 11/4, but haven't reproduced the issue in repair center.
If you have any other idea helping us to reproduce the issue easier(such as specific bios settings), please let me know.
I'll keep follow up this case.
Sorry for any inconvenience caused.

No special tweaking necessary to reproduce. Happens on default bios settings or with docp enabled. Just have them set the pc to sleep and wake it up and set to sleep again and try to wake until it happens. Shouldn’t take too many attempts from my experience.Â*

You mention they haven’t been able to reproduce; do you by any chance know what configuration was used to test? 5800x-5950x cpus and similar ram as others have mentioned in their specs?Â*