cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi DrDoDo,
Do you mean you shut down the pc everyday, and it cannot turn on once about three days? and if it went to sleep mode, cannot wake up once about three days?
Have you tried other power supply?
If you switch to S5, it cannot wake up once about a week?
Have you restored bios to all default setting?
May I have the information below?
- the serial number of the motherboard and graphics card via PM
- OS build and OS version
Thank you.

JerJer123
Level 7
Wanted to chime in here. Facing a similar issue with my X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) MB.

It seems random and it happens maybe 40% of the time. I put my PC to sleep and when I try to wake it with my mouse/keyboard sometimes, nothing happens. I see the lights on my keyboard flash for a quick sec and nothing happens. Trying to use the power button does nothing. I have to switch the power supply off and back on to turn the PC back on.

This is very concerning and starting to become annoying. My system is fairly new - built back in February of this year. I really hope this is not some hardware issue.

Below are my system specs:

Windows 10 Pro 19043.1288
X570 Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) (Non Dark)
Bios version: 3601
32 GB RAM
850W Power Supply
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING OC
AMD 5900X Processor
Bios version:

Hello Guys
I get many problem with dark hero 8 motherboard.
RAM and crash issues + booting problem

Here my post :
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?124986-Asus-ROG-Crosshair-VIII-Dark-Hero-and-RAM-issues-(L...

Eveything is fixed by changing the motherboard with RMA.
Don't loose time and money. Change you'r motherboard fast

Good luck

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Hardstyle,
May I have the serial number and RMA number via PM?
Thank you.

Replaced the board 1:1, BIOS 3601, submitted the RMA number to Asus. Will kepp you guys updated.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi JerJer123,
Do you put the pc to sleep via start>power>sleep? How long did you put the pc to sleep and occurred often?(ex. over 1hr)
Please update bios 3801 and restore bios to all default settings.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi JerJer123,
Do you put the pc to sleep via start>power>sleep? How long did you put the pc to sleep and occurred often?(ex. over 1hr)
Please update bios 3801 and restore bios to all default settings.
Thank you.

It happened today again and it was pretty much right after I put it to sleep.

Last night it happened. I put it to sleep and tried waking about an hour and a half later.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi JerJer123,
Did it occur recently or after you built back in February of this year?
Have you updated bios 3801 and restored bios to all default settings but still occurred?
Thank you.

Here to report the same issue that everyone else here is reporting. I recently switched from an Aorus X570 Master board to the X570 Dark Hero. Everything else in the system is the same and I've had the system up and running for over a year. I never had an issue with startup or powering on before switching to the Dark Hero. I switched to the Dark Hero for some of its additional features beyond the Aorus board. I'm pretty disappointed in this issue.

I've had the Dark Hero board installed for almost two weeks now and everything has been working great until this issue started 3-4 days ago. Before this everything worked great. I first noticed that it would not start back up after being shutdown for a few hours. Since then i've troubleshooted and I have the same issue no matter how long the computer is shutdown. The RGB lights on the I/O panel and Chipset are illuminated but pushing the computer's power button does nothing. I also tried pushing the "Start" button on the board and that likewise does nothing. I even tried jumping the power on pins on the board and nothing.

Changing ERP to S5 fixed the issue for now but based on others comments that is only a temporary solution. To me it sounds like Asus released a bad batch of Dark Hero boards all suffering from the same issue.

I purchased the board from Newegg on Sep. 24, 2021 and just submitted an RMA but am waiting to hear through this forum if there is a solution beyond sending in my board and having no computer while I wait for the replacement.

Here are my system details:

Mobo: Asus x570 Dark Hero (Serial No. M7M0KS160819EVN)
CPU: 5900X
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 (F4-3600C16D-16GTZNC)
GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
PSU: Corsair HX1200i

Old board (now @ RMA) SN: M7M0KC3782619SN
New board SN: M7M0KC208304BLD

Not sure if the new board is from an earlier batch.

Anyway... still no problems with the new board.