cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

WorldofShadows wrote:
Hey Starrain,

the "Aura off and usb-Charge off" settings came in place after i tried the pure defaults for about day, that was a bit bad explained from my side. The error occured on pure default settings, even with RAM not set to 3,2 GHz.
I'd willingly do an RMA, but i can't go without the board for 2-3 weeks or more, i need the PC for various things besides my normal work and gaming and i fear my x570-F can't handle all the stuff anymore or is broken in the first place. One reason why i switched to the Dark Hero.

But a little update from my side anyway: With the mentioned ErP to S5 i could start today the fourth day in a row without the error occuring.

How often do you start your PC? You don't put it into sleep/hibernate mode?

You have turned off Aura. Please take a look at the RGB LEDs (the "ROG" logo at the top of the IO (USB, ...) Ports and/or the chipset header) on the motherboard when you aren't able to turn on your PC - are the LEDs turned on? And they are turned off when you can boot?

Xairoo wrote:
How often do you start your PC? You don't put it into sleep/hibernate mode?

You have turned off Aura. Please take a look at the RGB LEDs (the "ROG" logo at the top of the IO (USB, ...) Ports and/or the chipset header) on the motherboard when you aren't able to turn on your PC - are the LEDs turned on? And they are turned off when you can boot?

Hey Xairoo

as mentioned before, i mostly only start one time a day, after work. On weekends sometimes more often.
No, i never hibernate my PC or let it sleep. When i'm leaving home i shutdown the system.
I have a NVME SSD so the boot time doesn't bug me in any way.

Aura ist set to "Stealth Mode" automatically by setting ErP to S5. When the sytem is on, Aura is running as usual, but i have configured it to "off" in the Amoury Crate, because i do not need or want rgb stuff.

When the "bug" occurs the "Start"-Button on the board is brightly lit. All other RGB-LEDs are off and i can't boot when that is the case.
With ErP S5 on, the PC is completely dark when it is off and i can boot for the 5th/6th day in a row without any error atm.

Finally S4+S5 and S5 only didn't work. The bug appears sometimes.
Also one time the RGB LEDs have been turned on when the "bug" appeared (Aura was turned off).

Looks like this problems happens to some boards (maybe to many, no idea).

Possible options:
1.) Will Asus fix this? How? What is Asus currently doing? Is there an ETA? Please give us some details.
2.) Return the motherboard and get a new working ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero? Or are they all "faulty"? How big is the chance to get a working board? Bought mine 15.10.2021.

You currently receive a motherboard from @stixix? So you should be able to reproduce this bug. Has this a high priority?

I'd like to help. But some more details should be put on the table. And replacing the motherboard again and again takes time, lifetime.

Feel free to send me a new working motherboard, I am located in Switzerland. I'll send you the current board directly to you or to the RMA center.
For trust I can provide full verified details (via PM/mail) about my person. So no worry to get "scammed". But I don't pay again for a motherboard or wait weeks to get a new motherboard after shipping it.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Xairoo,
I haven't get the RMA record from @stixix.
For your case, our tech team will test sleep/hibernate mode with our motherboard on hand.
I will keep you updated if there is any news.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Xairoo,
I haven't get the RMA record from @stixix.
For your case, our tech team will test sleep/hibernate mode with our motherboard on hand.
I will keep you updated if there is any news.
Thank you.

Is the tech team currently checking this, or is this on the to do plan?
No idea if I should return it (DOA), have time till 29.10.21.

Question: Can the RAM be a realistic problem for this type of bug?
I have used the same RAM (2x this kit: CMK32GX4M2E3200C16) on an other X570 board without any problems for 3 month. A Gigabyte Aorus Master - but this board is now faulty: 2,5 Gbit port sometimes missing, BIOS sometimes slow, sometimes it doesn't boot (had to shutdown because of the 2,5 Gbit port) - but no sleep problems at all. All the problems started when the 2,5 Gbit port became faulty.

Never had any RAM problems. Also not in our servers, nor any workstation.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi stixix,
There is no repair record of you serial number so far.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thank you so much.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi stixix,
There is no repair record of you serial number so far.
I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thank you so much.

Hi

I don't think it har arrived at the support center yet. Can you do without the RMA number? It seems that it is not possible for the retailer to get the service center RMA number since they ship it off to a distributor , that sends it to the service center.

/stig

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Xairoo,
Your pc won't wake up after sleep/hibernate mode, but others are can not startup after shutdown, so I'm not sure the issue is same as others or not.
I'll consult our tech team about this.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Xairoo,
Your pc won't wake up after sleep/hibernate mode, but others are can not startup after shutdown, so I'm not sure the issue is same as others or not.
I'll consult our tech team about this.
Thank you.

I thought so too. But I enabled S5 and sleep was working. Also WOL. Maybe your tech team should test this.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi WorldofShadows,
Thank you for your reply.
For RMA, I'm afraid it might take some time for transferring from the retailer, distributor to our repair center and examination in our repair center.
If you decided to send RMA, may I have the serial number and RMA number via PM?
Thank you very much.