cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Xairoo,
Thank you for your reply.
Have you also tried S5?
Did you encountered no startup issue after shut down the pc, and you had to turned off and turn on PSU?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi Xairoo,
Have you also tried S5?
Did you encountered no startup issue after shut down the pc, and you had to turned off and turn on PSU?
Thank you.

No S5 yet because WOL and sleep is required. Thought S5 is shutdown only and sleep disabled.
No answer @ shutdown because it's combined for me with a hardware change (and PSU off).

Fastboot enabled @ Windows resulted in not working WOL after 4 hours and no response (keyboard, power button) after 8 hours. Now I disabled fastboot again.

Will a S5 test help Asus? I can test it. Fastboot @ Windows enabled? Sleep or shutdown? Let me know.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi WorldofShadows,
May I know how many times you shut down and startup a day?
If the power supply was new purchased, could you please restored bios to all default settings and see if no startup issue(after shut down) also occurs within 2 days?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi WorldofShadows,
May I know how many times you shut down and startup a day?
If the power supply was new purchased, could you please restored bios to all default settings and see if no startup issue(after shut down) also occurs within 2 days?
Thank you.

Hey Starrain,

i usually only start the pc one time a day, when i'm home from work, and shut it down in the evening before going to bed. May vary on weekends depending on how often i leave my home then, but never more than 3 startup/shutdowns a day.
At the moment i'm just starting a bit more often to help diagnose this error.

For the BIOS-to-default part:
i did that before i posted here the first time. With everything on default it worked for around 1 day, or two startups, and after that the error was back.

With the ErP setting on "S5" i had today morning the 3rd day of successful startups in a row.

Hi stixix,
I'm afraid I have no idea when the distributor will send your motherboard to our local service center.
However, I'll check whether there is a RMA record of your serial number every week.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi stixix,
I'm afraid I have no idea when the distributor will send your motherboard to our local service center.
However, I'll check whether there is a RMA record of your serial number every week.
Thank you.

Hi STARRAIN@ROG

Any news on my board? Almost 4 weeks have passed now 😞

/stix

i have changed RGB settings with "Armoury Crate"

and now i get days no start issue Crazy stuff befor i changed it i get the error every day 100% / S4+ or S5 iss off

i have also testet 15 sleeps and all was working.

I'm not sure anymore, but I think the problems started for me days after fiddling with the rgb software. I will continue to try, resetting all RGB settings to default does not work for me as it looks.

has anyone that error and has never changed any rgb setting?

Hi WorldofShadows,
You said "i loaded the defauls in BIOS and turned Aura and USB-Charge off when the PC is off", that's why I want to double confirm BIOS all default settings.
I'm afraid our tech team cannot duplicate the not startup issue with the motherboard on hand, so we are waiting for stixix is willing to send the motherboard to our service center for further examination.
Because it is not convenient for you to try other PSU, so I'm not sure whether your are willing to send RMA and whether it cannot be duplicated with the components in our service center.
If it occurs often and you are willing to send RMA, may I have the serial number and RMA number via PM?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi WorldofShadows,
You said "i loaded the defauls in BIOS and turned Aura and USB-Charge off when the PC is off", that's why I want to double confirm BIOS all default settings.
I'm afraid our tech team cannot duplicate the not startup issue with the motherboard on hand, so we are waiting for stixix is willing to send the motherboard to our service center for further examination.
Because it is not convenient for you to try other PSU, so I'm not sure whether your are willing to send RMA and whether it cannot be duplicated with the components in our service center.
If it occurs often and you are willing to send RMA, may I have the serial number and RMA number via PM?
Thank you.

Hey Starrain,

the "Aura off and usb-Charge off" settings came in place after i tried the pure defaults for about day, that was a bit bad explained from my side. The error occured on pure default settings, even with RAM not set to 3,2 GHz.
I'd willingly do an RMA, but i can't go without the board for 2-3 weeks or more, i need the PC for various things besides my normal work and gaming and i fear my x570-F can't handle all the stuff anymore or is broken in the first place. One reason why i switched to the Dark Hero.

But a little update from my side anyway: With the mentioned ErP to S5 i could start today the fourth day in a row without the error occuring.

The motherboard LEDs are disabled (Aura off). That works... until you can't wake/power on the PC - at this state the motherboards LEDs are turned on - but this happened only once until now (why?!).

S5 only didn't work. Sleep and WOL are working in S5 too (until it stopps and the "problem" appears). It acts like the S4/S5 mode.

Finally I think it has nothing to do with the OS, it's all about the motherboard and/or only BIOS based.