cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus dark hero startup issue ?

karlosfandango
Level 9
Hi all
I have a Asus Crosshair VIII DarkHhero ...with an AMD 5900X , 32gb of Gskils ram

Had a few times over last few months since recieving board where the system wont power on.
You press power switch on case and nothing .
You press power button on motherboard ...nothing ....and its lit up white ...all rgb is working ( on when powered off )
If i turn off PSU and back then power it back on ...system boots fine.
It can then be fine for say 4 weeks ...then happen out the blue again.
Was ok with old motherboard....so only things that have changed is MB and CPU.

Tried reflashing bios back to earlier version ...no different.
Had new graphics card since last time so rules that out.
Tried taking ram sticks out ...no difference.

Seems starnge how can run for weeks without issue ( but dont use it every day )

Im using an EVGA supernova 850W PSU.

Not major issue as all have to do is power off PSU and all good again ...but got to be something wrong.
Asus say sounds like something tripping PSU protection ...will have to try unpluging 24 pin and 8 pin cables next time , then plug back in to see if motherboard or psu .

Any help most appreciated.
Karl
638 REPLIES 638

Hey together,

i'm in with this problem now.
Got my Dark Hero 4 weeks ago and everything worked fine until last thursday, when it decided to not turn on unless switch the psu off, wait a bit and on again.
As with all the others there are no post-codes nor any beeps.
The system runs stable even under hard conditions, like Cyberpunk, Farcry or even VR.
BIOS Version: 3801

Specs:
Corsair HX850 (850W Plus Platinum)
ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero

Ryzen 9 3900X
32 GB (4x8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX CMK32GX4M4B3200C16
Asus ROG Strix Geforce 3080TI 12GB OC

Additional Cards:
Elgato HD Pro
Creative Soundblaster ZxR

2x Samsung NVME 2TB
2x Samsung SATA SSD
2x Western Digital Black HDD

The only thing changed since i assembled my build is an upgrade from an Asus ROG Strix 2070S OC to the above mentioned 3080TI.
The PSU Single/Multi switch is set to "Multi"
All 3 necessary 8-Pin Power cables are seperate lines from the PSU.

2 days ago i loaded the defauls in BIOS and turned Aura and USB-Charge off when the PC is off.
After that it worked completely normal until i got home from work today.
Like all the others the START-Button on the board was bright lit and it didn't react to it nor the normal case-power-button.

As for the "when" it happens. No real pattern here.
2 days ago after the default and reconfigure i played like 4 hours New World and a bit of Cyberpunk and VR.
Yesterday evening i was only coding and fiddling with ssh, so no load at all.

The system is not OC at all. Everything left at default values, only the RAM is set to it's mentioned 3,2 GHz.
And as mentioned above the system ist runnning 100% stable, no BSOD, no crash, no slowdowns, no drive errors under everything i tossed at it.

Migrated from an ROG Strix X570-F due to some problems there and for the extra power, but made everything new. So there's no old windows installation either.

Really hope you guys at ASUS can figure this one out.
If you need logs or anything of whatever, let me know.
Thank you

ErP S4+S5 didn't fixed it. It worked only a few times:

- 2x keyboard wake after 9 hours
- 2x WOL (wanted!) wake after about 4 hours
- multiple wakes after shorter sleeps

But now after a sleep for about 10 minutes I had to turn off the PSU to be able to boot.

Now testing ErP S4+S5 (will only S5 make a change?) and Aura off.

I had hibernate enabled (powercfg -h on), now disabled it: powercfg -h off

Also I am using psshutdown to send my PC into sleep mode.
psshutdown -d -t 0 -accepteula

-d Suspend the computer
-h Hibernate the computer

So I guess powercfg -h off won't make a change and I am all the time in the high performance power plan.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi stixix,
Could you please consult the retailer for our RMA number(it might be combined with letters and numbers)?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi stixix,
Could you please consult the retailer for our RMA number(it might be combined with letters and numbers)?
Thank you.

I am awaiting the RMA number from the retailer. I'll let you know as soon as I have it

/stig

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi WorldofShadows,

Did you use ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero with ROG Strix 2070S OC without any issue, and not turning on issue occurred after you use 3080TI?
Could you please try other power supply and then see if the issue occurs again?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi WorldofShadows,

Did you use ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero with ROG Strix 2070S OC without any issue, and not turning on issue occurred after you use 3080TI?
Could you please try other power supply and then see if the issue occurs again?
Thank you.

Hey Starrain,

yes, for about 2 weeks i used the 2070S OC with the Dark Hero without any issues After the upgrade the 3080TI worked for about 1.5 weeks without any issues, too.
The 2070S worked for about 2 years with the prior mentioned ROG Strix x570-F and the old PSU.

I bought the Corsair 850W PSU together with the Dark Hero to rule out any issues i had with my old Setup and for the upgrade to the 3080TI.
According to the sensor readings (12V, 5V, 3,3V) everything on the PSU side is more than stable and ok. All other sensors including the temps are low to normal, even under heavy load.
CPU is cooled by a Noctua NH-D15, Case is cooled by 3x200mm and 1x180mm case fans with a correct calculated airflow.

Sadly i can't try the old power supply (Be Quiet Power Zone 650W), as it isn't powerful enough to fire up the system together with the 3080TI and i don't have any other PSUs around, as they're very expensive and hard to get here in germany atm.

As Xairoo mentioned i change the BIOS Setting "ErP" from "Disabled" to "S5" and after that i could boot after 6hrs off-time this morning.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi Vpazz,

How often did it occur?(for example: if you start three times a day, once of them is not boot? ) only occurred while cold restart?
Did you faced the issue since used the ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO to build pc or after any update or components changed?
If you have tried different cpu, ram and power supply but encounter the same issue, may I have the bios version and model name of the cpu, ram and power supply you used?
Thank you.

ChriZZ
Level 7
Hi Starrain, I have the exact same problem. I believe that this is not a boot problembut rather something going wrong when the PC gets turned off. I have Aura in stealth mode and sometimes when i shut down the PC the Start button on the Board remains lit when it should be off due to stealth mode. When this happens the PC wont turn on again, neither by pressing the Power button on the case or by pressing the Start button on the board directly. I cant reproduce it consistently but what I recognized was that if I played a demanding game like Far Cry 6 with Ray Tracing and immediately shut down the PC after closing it happens much more frequently than when I play less demanding games like CSGO or when I just hang out in Teamspeak for about 30mins after closing Far Cry.

My Setup is Crosshair Dark Hero with Ryzen 5900x and 3090 Founders Edition. I am using a brand new Corsair HX1000 PSU, I tried my brothers CX750 and it did not make a difference. I tried multiple Ram kits, some were on the QVL, some were not and it did not make a difference at all.

I am currently using BIOS 3601 but the Problem did occur on versions prior to 3601.

Whenever the problem occurs I just unplug the PSU and wait a few minutes unti the Start button on the board stops glowing white. When I then plug the PSU in again my PC can start normally.

I hope that this helps in fixing it.
Best regards.

My ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero won't wake up if it sleeps for a few hours. No problems when I wake it within a few minutes, 30 minutes or so, no idea.
If it won't wake up, pressing the power button or reset button won't work too. I have to power off the PSU and press the power button for ~15 seconds until the power is totally gone. WOL works within the small time limit and stops working if the PC sleeps for a few hours (doing nightly backups automatically using WOL, RTC would be an option too).

I am using a be quiet! Dark Power 12 (1000 W) PSU, RTX 3080, Ryzen 5900X. Default BIOS settings. Currently testing ERP (enabled), maybe this will solve it, but I don't think so.

I changed to the Dark Hero from a Gigabyte Aorus Master because the MB made trouble (sometimes 2,5 Gbit LAN is gone, sometimes BIOS navigation super slow and so on). Sleep mode worked perfectly with the Aorus Master.

Also did a fresh install of Windows 10 (latest version) + drivers and so on.
Next is to test a longer hibernate state instead of sleep (but hibernate takes too long to wake up).

BIOS initial version was 3601. I have updated to 3801.

Asus phone support told me to enable ErP.

If this doesn't work I should remove the battery and place it reverted in the socket for max. 1 minute and don't turn the PC on. Then place the battery the correct way and boot.

If this won't work... doing a CMOS reset.

I don't think that will help.

Some other users have the same problem: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1307929-pc-wont-turn-back-on-after-shutdownsleep-unless-i-turn-psu-p...

ErP (S4+S5) test for a sleep duration for about 9 hours worked. System woke up. BIOS version 3801.

Putting into sleep (not hibernate!) and wake within a few seconds also works. Tested it 5 times. Such a short sleep duration worked before too, or I haven't run into problems.

Will post an update if it has stopped working or if it works a few days.