Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Crosshair VIII Formula Post Code Errors

SamTe
Level 9
Hello *.*

I am on latest Bios version 4201
Nothing is overclocked

After I did set my computer up again to boot from a 2TB NVME I do get two error codes while posting for computer off/on.
Rebooting by Windows or Reset works mostly fine, it seems only when I switch off/on the whole computer.

I get sometimes:

code 30: check NVRAM
or
code 02: check HDD

I have 2 SATA (AHCI) connected and all works fine. Booting is from NVME (no raid mode)
After I get the errors on display I press the reset button and all boots without errors.

My Bios is set to AHCI (Hot Plugin disabled)
NVME AMI BIOS boot is disabled

What could it be?
6 REPLIES 6

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, SamTe.

May I ask if it is able to enter Windows or shut down normally when the Q-code appears?

Please test with the 2TB NVMe install only, or return the BIOS to the default value, to see if the issue still occurs, and cross-test with other slots or try other NVME SSDs if needed.

Thank you.

Thank you Jiaszz

I did a Bios reset before and even flashed the same Bios in one more time.
There was no change, same error

Right now I have a Kingston KC3000 2 TB NVNE SDD (Gen4) installed in the left SSD Port on my motherboard.

Before I tried Samsung 980Pro (Gen4) as single and dual stick. With dual as Raid volume and I tried Volume, Raid 0, Raidable.
Windows did reload and install only with blue screens of death until I returned the SSD to the dealer.

However, all SSDs showed with "pass" in the bios as I did tests in the bios.

Before I had Samsung 970 Evo installed (Gen3) and they worked well in Raid mode over 1 year without a single error code. I just had to upgrade the GB size, so I switched.

I did also test all SSDs without SATA Disks connected to the mainboard. Same error.

I did not much change to the Bios settings, but I have somehow the feeling since I upgraded to Bios version vom 39xx to 4201 I have all the odd booting problems. Maybe my motherboard does not like Gen4 SSDs ?

Is it possible to downgrade my bios again?

Thank you.

Jiaszzz_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hello, SamTe.

Since the ROG Crosshair VIII Formula supports the USB BIOS FlashBack feature, please refer to the link below to downgrade the BIOS and check if the issue still exists.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038568/

Thank you.

Thanks alot. I will try the coming days and report back

J_Bish
Level 10
On mine the AMI Native Support is enabled. Also is this a fresh install? I dont believe its the board, if testing via board and got same codes... Ill bet its a faulty drive.

SamTe wrote:
Hello *.*

I am on latest Bios version 4201
Nothing is overclocked

After I did set my computer up again to boot from a 2TB NVME I do get two error codes while posting for computer off/on.
Rebooting by Windows or Reset works mostly fine, it seems only when I switch off/on the whole computer.

I get sometimes:

code 30: check NVRAM
or
code 02: check HDD

I have 2 SATA (AHCI) connected and all works fine. Booting is from NVME (no raid mode)
After I get the errors on display I press the reset button and all boots without errors.

My Bios is set to AHCI (Hot Plugin disabled)
NVME AMI BIOS boot is disabled

What could it be?

Good morning JBish.

I will check the Bios settings in regards of the AMI Native Support again.

I do not think it is hardware related since I tried to boot with 1 SSD only, no HDDs connected.
I also tried 2 brand new/different SSDs (A set with 2 SSD in Raid, One with a single 2 TBB SSD) and always got the same errors while booting.

I was on a fresh install (Win11) with new SSDs (as mentioned old HDDs where disconnected while during setup).

But what I do get is a BIOS setup warning very often while I boot up:

It tells me I pressed the BIOS reset button and I have to put in a CH8.cap file.

This is true I pressed this button once and I did flash the new bios. But the message poped up each time I powered the motherboard down and after a restart.
I flashed the bios 2 times now and the message still poped up.

However, since about 3 days I get no Bios warning anymore and for now all seems to be normaly booting.

The question is for how long until I get the error again.