cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus crosshair hero VII no audio after latest bios(4703) update

LostDecryption9
Level 7
Hi, Audio was working fine earlier the bios update 4402. But after updating the bios to latest 4703 my motherboard audio is broken and it's not working i tried to get the audio working from windows,linux(fedora) still no audio. I can see the playback bar moving while i'm playing audio but no sound on my headphones.
I tested my kraken x headphones with other devices, It's working so it's not the headphones/speaker problem but some problem within the motherboard itself

HD Audio controller is enabled in bios, I tried the latest audio drivers in windows 10 and also windows 11 but still no sound.
What do you guys suggest? Do you think my motherboard is broken?

Thank you
10 REPLIES 10

world
Have you tried downgrading the BIOS back to a previous version and seeing if the audio works on an older BIOS?

world wrote:
Have you tried downgrading the BIOS back to a previous version and seeing if the audio works on an older BIOS?

No, I haven't done that yet. Do you recommend checking with downgrading my bios to previous to latest?

Thank you.

dfaovred
Level 10
Try resetting BIOS to default settings and reboot then try sound again.

dfaovred wrote:
Try resetting BIOS to default settings and reboot then try sound again.

Hi, I had reset the bios to defaults, re-installed the drivers again to see if i'm missing out something. Still no audio
My motherboard is out of warranty. I thought downgrading bios is not possible may lead to possible brick.

Do you guys suggest to try downgrading my bios? is it safe? I think this is the last action i have to perform before giving it to the service centers to repair.

Thank you.

LostDecryption91 wrote:
Hi, I had reset the bios to defaults, re-installed the drivers again to see if i'm missing out something. Still no audio
My motherboard is out of warranty. I thought downgrading bios is not possible may lead to possible brick.

Do you guys suggest to try downgrading my bios? is it safe? I think this is the last action i have to perform before giving it to the service centers to repair.

Thank you.

Yes, you can downgrade no problem. It is the same process as updating.

Downgraded the bios 4402, re-installed both official drivers and non-official drivers but still no audio 😞

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi LostDecryption91,
Have you tried the audio port of the rear and front panel?
Please also tried with other headphones or speakers.
If it is still no audio, please backup your personal file and try reinstalling OS.
Thank you.

Hi, Sorry for the late reply
I tried the audio from both rear and front panel, None are working.
i reinstalled the new windows 10 1909 today, updated the driver to latest still no audio.
Im not able to figure out if this is software problem or hardware problem.
Please let me know what can be done im helpless and clueless.
Thank you

Update: As i recall the audio was working fine in bios version 4402, I upgraded the bios it was working for a while in linux then suddenly one day it stopped working mic first later no audio too. I tried to troubleshoot in linux it didn't work so i switched back to windows tried with official and non-official drivers, later thought it was bios problem and downgraded still no audio.

Do you recommend buying a audio card and see if it works?

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi LostDecryption91,
If the motherboard is in warranty period, I would suggest send RMA for further examination.
If the warranty has expired, a audio card would be choice, but not sure if it the root cause. If you can borrow a audio card from your friends for testing first, probably it would be better.
Thank you.