cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARGB Gen2 headers not detecting Gen2 devices

KingN8
Level 7
I haave a ROG Maximus z690 Extreme motherboard. I am using CoolerMaster MF120 Halo fans that are Gen2 RGB. In armory crate if I select Gen1, the fans show up and respond but have very little functionality. When I select Gen2 it doesnt detect the fans or how many leds are on them. I have tried 6 different fans, on all 3 Gen2 headers, I even went as far as only having a single fan using one header. With that fan I tested all 3 headers and it did not work in Gen2 mode. I proceeded to do that for each of the 6 fans. When that didnt work I tried it through the included ASUS rgb fan controller, and also the coolermaster argb gen2 controller. I have tried several different versions of Armory crate and Aura. What am I missing?

Very Frustrated,
Nathan P
5 REPLIES 5

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi KingN8,
Are the 6 different fans you tried all CoolerMaster MF120 Halo fans?
Do you get the same result on bios 1403 with bios all default settings?
Have you used Armoury Crate Uninstall Tool and Armoury Crate & Aura Creator Installer to reinstall Armoury Crate?
Please make sure all items in update center all up to date, and then restart the pc.
Thank you.

Hi, got similar issue with ROG Strix B550-f.
Latest BIOS flashed, presumably latest Armoury Crate with AURA Sync installed.
On the motherboard itself are 3 headers:
2x RGB (12V?)
1x A-RGB Gen2
I've got A-RGB hub hooked up with mobos Gen2 header and cases light strip and an additional fan tray with A-RGB connected to it and AURA Sync doesn't recognize ANY Gen2 devices: on detection show it as Gen1 with 120 LED max which doesn't make any sense to me (Gen1 = 12V?).

Would anyone have idea what I'm doing wrong?

TIA,
Kris

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi crosswired,
Are your devices individually addressable RGB WS2812B LED strips or WS2812B based LED strips?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi crosswired,
Are your devices individually addressable RGB WS2812B LED strips or WS2812B based LED strips?
Thank you.

Hi,
wasnt aware that Gen2 header can support WS2812B lights only

Thanks,
Kris

Hi. I have a z690 extreme with 9 Gamdias Aeolus m2 rgb fans using 2 gamdias controllers and have the same issue. Connected to the argb header but the fans show as 3 led strips all gen 1 with 120 led's each. If I switch to gen 2, nothing is detected. This thread makes me think Gamdias' fans are all gen 1 and if I want more control I need to search around for some gen 2 rgb fans. Thanks for the info, and please let me know if I misunderstood anything. Thanks.