cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are my temps good

AsusRules32
Level 7
Hi all I recently upgraded from my old Asus Strix X99 motherboard to an Asus Strix B560-F gaming wifi motherboard.

I have gone from an intel i7 6800K to a intel 11700KF

I have Asus Ai Suite installed because I have a custom loop consisting of the below and my pump can get quite loud

240mm double thick rad XPSC, EKWB RGB waterblock, EKWB BayRes Combo with the D5 PWM pump
Tubing is 7/16mm flexible tube and rigged up with compression fittings 2 of them XSPC and the rest EK
1 Y fitting and a drain port.

My temps on this CPU keep going all over the place as the CPU hits turbo frequencies normally at desktop im around 41 to the mid 50-60 degrees C
when I go into games like Assassins Creed Valhalla my temps go up to 60 - 65 and then up to 70-75 when I start applications sometimes it will go all the way up to above 75 degrees C and one time in Arkham Knight and in Assassins Creed Valhalla when it was at desktop about to load the game I get up into the 89's

Is this normal as I don't want my hardware to die on me as its new.

Also Asus Ai Suite will eventually crash in some games, like Assassins Creed Valhalla if I leave both it and the game going for a while. I get an error about a service that did not start in a timely manner, This luckily doesn't affect my fans or anything though if I want to use Asus Ai Suite 3 again I have to restart my PC.

I was weary of using Asus Ai Suite 3 seeing as it used to give me BSOD on my old motherboard and CPU though I need something to control my Pump and fans otherwise the pump especially is way too loud in games at 100 percent and despite my res being full the EK premix coolant will slosh around in there. I also used the EK thermal compound that came with their waterblock.
17 REPLIES 17

AsusRules32 wrote:
I'm running mine all at stock cause this CPU is more than fast enough for me. Just had temp issues and issues with Ai Suite which may be solved now. Helps when you tighten down your waterblock. This is the first time I have owned any EK waterblock and it doesn't come with instructions you have to scan a QR code on the box and go to the internet to get the instruction manual.

I turned off Asus Optimisations under Ai section in bios and told it to use intels specifics incase that was a little too high for the CPU.

If you want to get a bit more out of your CPU without too much trouble, you can try this. This is fairly simple:

If left stock at default BIOS settings on a Strix Z490-A, my i9-10850 maximum frequency was only 4700mhz with a retardedly high voltage. Not once did I see any core go above 5000mhz. The 10850 is rated for 5200mhz max on turbo. I have a good custom water loop for cooling, temps were great, so I was confident thermal throttling should not be happening.
I went into BIOS and set all core to 5200 and left the voltage as is. I ran Cinebench R23 to test and it crashes. The voltage was up way too high already by default, so I wasnt going to raise it anymore. After pissing around for a bit, I landed at 5000mhz on all cores with 1.35v, and great temps. Looped Cinebench for an hour then ran Realbench looped for an hour. No crash, no errors, and good temps. I am going to mess with it further to see if I can get the voltage a bit lower. Also going to piss around and find a good off-set voltage rather than use a fixed. I left the Multicore Enhancement at Auto with no issue. Disabling it might help me further.

Given your CPU is rated for 5000mhz, you could possibly run all cores at 5000mhz at load. Chances are, maybe only one or two cores are even going that high if at any. The cores by default will run at different frequencies. Cant have that!
Use Aida64 or similar so you can monitor each CPU core's activity, frequency, and the CPU Core Voltage. Run a CPU stress test and note each core's activity and maximum frequency. Also note the core voltage. You will also see that not all cores are at same frequency. Chances are, not one hitting 5000mhz either.

Go into BIOS and set:
CPU Core Ratio - Sync All Cores
Core Ratio - 50
Multicore Enhancement - Auto
Leave CPU Core voltage set to auto for now. Save and exit.

Run a stress test. Cinebench or Realbench will give a decent real-world test. Note the max CPU Core Voltage
Did it crash?
NO - Cool. Go back to BIOS and lower the voltage. Set voltage control to manual and set voltage to what you noted and then drop it by say 5 increments below that voltage. Save and exit. Run stress test again. If successful, return to BIOS and drop voltage by 3 increments. Save and retest. Do this until it crashes, then bump voltage back up by one increment until stable again.
If this voltage is acceptable then good to go. Further tweaking maybe required.

Yes - Was the voltage high enough for that frequency in your opinion, or too high? And did all cores reach 5000mhz?
If it crashed and voltage was high, the bump down the multiplier in BIOS to 49 and repeat the above until stable at 4900mhz all cores. If voltage still too high at 4900mhz. drop multi to 48 and repeat. if no go, then just leave as it was before messing with it. You dont reall want to go any lower on the multi or you will definitely start to LOSE performance. Try a different method. This was the simplest.

This is by no means, a definitive guide. There are much better ones and people with much more knowledge on this subject than me. But this will get you in the ballpark and you can fine tune it further. Hopefully somebody with better knowledge will chime in and explain further.
GUTS: ROG Strix Z490-A / i9-10850 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000mhz / WD Black 1TB M.2 - 2TB Ki...

WATER: EK Velocity Strike - CPU / EK-Quantum Vector - GPU / 2X Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 360 Radiators / XSPC Photon Rez / D5 Pump / DISTILLED WATER + Silver Coil

The two screenshots below are the error messages I get from Ai Suite

https://imgur.com/WTvMwQf
https://imgur.com/vSHZLg0

Asus please you really need to fix your software both Ai Suite and this Forum.

I can't even attach a picture here, the screenshots are PNG and I have also tried converting them to JPG, Jpeg doesn't matter It will tell me wrong file extension or invalid file.

Don't know who does your software but yeah... It's such a shame because hardware wise you guys/girls are good.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
AsusRules32 wrote:
The two screenshots below are the error messages I get from Ai Suite

https://imgur.com/WTvMwQf
https://imgur.com/vSHZLg0

Asus please you really need to fix your software both Ai Suite and this Forum.

I can't even attach a picture here, the screenshots are PNG and I have also tried converting them to JPG, Jpeg doesn't matter It will tell me wrong file extension or invalid file.

Don't know who does your software but yeah... It's such a shame because hardware wise you guys/girls are good.

Hi AsusRules32,

Have you reinstalled AI Suite 3 V3.00.78 from our support site but still got the same error message with idle mode overnight?
Did it occur every night and every you played Assassins Creed Valhalla about 30 minutes to an hour?
May I have screenshots of the settings you adjusted in AI Suite 3?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi AsusRules32,

Have you reinstalled AI Suite 3 V3.00.78 from our support site but still got the same error message with idle mode overnight?
Did it occur every night and every you played Assassins Creed Valhalla about 30 minutes to an hour?
May I have screenshots of the settings you adjusted in AI Suite 3?
Thank you.

Hi

Yes I have reinstalled Ai Suite 3 V3.00.78 is the version I have been having issues with. I get errors no matter what, If I leave my Ai Suite on and my computer on overnight I get these errors.

It occurs every time night or day whenever Ai Suite is on and sitting at the Windows 10 desktop. i.e. not in games or anything.

I also get the errors in games and it can be any game, it can happen at any time in game or not.

The only settings I adjusted where settings in the fan expert part of AI Suite 3 which was to manually set a pump rpm curve so I can manually manage my custom loops pump so it is not not too loud but also cools my PC. Apart from that I did the Asus auto tune fan thing.

xmanrigger wrote:
If you want to get a bit more out of your CPU without too much trouble, you can try this. This is fairly simple:

If left stock at default BIOS settings on a Strix Z490-A, my i9-10850 maximum frequency was only 4700mhz with a retardedly high voltage. Not once did I see any core go above 5000mhz. The 10850 is rated for 5200mhz max on turbo. I have a good custom water loop for cooling, temps were great, so I was confident thermal throttling should not be happening.
I went into BIOS and set all core to 5200 and left the voltage as is. I ran Cinebench R23 to test and it crashes. The voltage was up way too high already by default, so I wasnt going to raise it anymore. After pissing around for a bit, I landed at 5000mhz on all cores with 1.35v, and great temps. Looped Cinebench for an hour then ran Realbench looped for an hour. No crash, no errors, and good temps. I am going to mess with it further to see if I can get the voltage a bit lower. Also going to piss around and find a good off-set voltage rather than use a fixed. I left the Multicore Enhancement at Auto with no issue. Disabling it might help me further.

Given your CPU is rated for 5000mhz, you could possibly run all cores at 5000mhz at load. Chances are, maybe only one or two cores are even going that high if at any. The cores by default will run at different frequencies. Cant have that!
Use Aida64 or similar so you can monitor each CPU core's activity, frequency, and the CPU Core Voltage. Run a CPU stress test and note each core's activity and maximum frequency. Also note the core voltage. You will also see that not all cores are at same frequency. Chances are, not one hitting 5000mhz either.

Go into BIOS and set:
CPU Core Ratio - Sync All Cores
Core Ratio - 50
Multicore Enhancement - Auto
Leave CPU Core voltage set to auto for now. Save and exit.

Run a stress test. Cinebench or Realbench will give a decent real-world test. Note the max CPU Core Voltage
Did it crash?
NO - Cool. Go back to BIOS and lower the voltage. Set voltage control to manual and set voltage to what you noted and then drop it by say 5 increments below that voltage. Save and exit. Run stress test again. If successful, return to BIOS and drop voltage by 3 increments. Save and retest. Do this until it crashes, then bump voltage back up by one increment until stable again.
If this voltage is acceptable then good to go. Further tweaking maybe required.

Yes - Was the voltage high enough for that frequency in your opinion, or too high? And did all cores reach 5000mhz?
If it crashed and voltage was high, the bump down the multiplier in BIOS to 49 and repeat the above until stable at 4900mhz all cores. If voltage still too high at 4900mhz. drop multi to 48 and repeat. if no go, then just leave as it was before messing with it. You dont reall want to go any lower on the multi or you will definitely start to LOSE performance. Try a different method. This was the simplest.

This is by no means, a definitive guide. There are much better ones and people with much more knowledge on this subject than me. But this will get you in the ballpark and you can fine tune it further. Hopefully somebody with better knowledge will chime in and explain further.

Thanks for the tutorial

I might try some of that stuff cause I agree the voltages are a little high getting near 1.5 volts in games, don't know about changing it or the multiplier though as I just don't trust myself. Not too worried about reaching 5ghz just want my temps to be stable which now they are good enough, Highest I have seen under Aida 64 in games on CPU package is about 68 and sometimes 71 for about 2 seconds before it drops again to 68 - 65. On CPU it shows 56 - 60ish in game.

at desktop I am getting 44-45 on CPU Package, and 40-45 on cpu so vastly better than what I was getting when I didn't have the block on right. I could make these temps lower if I change my pumps rpm curve though I have the EKWB Bay Res Combo, Bay Res D5 with the PWM pump. Gets a little loud when it gets around over 50 percent and that's with the reservoir filled right up to just below max, I use EK's premix coolant the navy blue colour. The radiator is a XSPC 240mm thick rad I think it's the EX240, cooling that I have 2 Noctua NF12s which then go to the EK RGB block.

I started off with a Raystorm D5 EX240 kit until the bayres which has a wee blue LED at the back which was came glued in cracked one night and it started leaking from there, I was putting papertowel's into the bay beneath the reservoir like maxi pads.

xmanrigger
Level 12
Cool, glad you got it figured out.

If you were only going to use AI Suite for monitoring, there is much better and less intrusive software. Aida64 is very good. The full version is well worth ithe cost. Very customizable. I have been using it since it's Everest days. I havent found anything better in that time that suites my needs.

And yes, it pissed me off as well. My EK Velosity CPU block and EK Vector GPU block both came with no documentation. Had to go to EK's website. So what if a person has no internet? Or oh hey, your rig is tore apart 'cuz you are stuffing a horny new water cooled card in it. How in the hell is he/she supposed to assemble the fuggen thing?
GUTS: ROG Strix Z490-A / i9-10850 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ Royal 4000mhz / WD Black 1TB M.2 - 2TB Ki...

WATER: EK Velocity Strike - CPU / EK-Quantum Vector - GPU / 2X Alphacool NexXxoS UT60 360 Radiators / XSPC Photon Rez / D5 Pump / DISTILLED WATER + Silver Coil

After testing Cyberpunk 2077 and Death Stranding again I can report my temperatures are good now.

In both games highest I have seen is 56 degrees.

Also not getting any more errors with Asus Ai Suite so I guess it was all down to temperatures.

Edit just when I thought AI suite was behaving

Now I have screenshots this happens if I just leave my PC at desktop sadly I cannot upload them here. Trying to does nothing

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi AsusRules32,

May I have the information below?
- the serial number of your motherboard via PM
- the brand and the model name of your RAM, VGA, PSU and hard drive with OS
(Please check the specific model name of the RAM such as G.SKILL F4-4800C19D-32GTZR.)
- OS version and OS build
Thank you.