cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5950x Dark Hero Cache hierarchy errors, time to RMA?

edplaysdrums
Level 7
I'm used to getting the occasional WHEA-logger error since first building this PC, but as you can see in the photo it has been getting much worse:

This doesn't crash the computer often, but I can't imagine it's a good sign! I also suspect it may be related to the frequent "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered" graphics crashes I reported on another thread on this forum (which occasionally improved but never went away permanently).

Running latest bios and chipset drivers.

Is there anything I can try to fix this or should I just RMA the cpu/mobo/both?

Thanks for any advice!

EDIT: Bit more info I forgot to add: the errors happen regularly every minute. So no errors for 57-59 seconds then a burst of errors, then nothing etc etc. Also doesn't seem to happen in safe mode, but will double check and report back....
10 REPLIES 10

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi edplaysdrums,
May I double confirm did you face any issue while it shows WHEA-logger error and "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered"?
Is the motherboard ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, the bios version 3801, the chipset driver V3.08.06.148 and the NVIDIA GeForce Game Ready Drivers V472.12?
Have you restored bios to all default setting but still the same?
Have you reinstall win10?
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi edplaysdrums,
May I double confirm did you face any issue while it shows WHEA-logger error and "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered"?
Is the motherboard ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero, the bios version 3801, the chipset driver V3.08.06.148 and the NVIDIA GeForce Game Ready Drivers V472.12?
Have you restored bios to all default setting but still the same?
Have you reinstall win10?
Thank you.

Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

To answer in brief:

Yes, issues include the displays freezing and crashing software with graphics errors. Also random crashes where the computer will freeze and has to be hard reset (no BSOD or logs). I don't know if those 2 things are related to the WHEA-logger errors though. The issue shown in the photo doesn't seem to be causing problems yet, but if this is something that won't go away then I will need to replace or RMA the motherboard/CPU as this is a work machine and I can't afford the risk of major downtime.

Yes: Dark Hero 3801, V3.08.06.147, and 472.12

Yes: reset bios to default and reinstalled win10, and same problem occurs.

edplaysdrums wrote:
Hi guys, thanks for your replies.

To answer in brief:

Yes, issues include the displays freezing and crashing software with graphics errors. Also random crashes where the computer will freeze and has to be hard reset (no BSOD or logs). I don't know if those 2 things are related to the WHEA-logger errors though. The issue shown in the photo doesn't seem to be causing problems yet, but if this is something that won't go away then I will need to replace or RMA the motherboard/CPU as this is a work machine and I can't afford the risk of major downtime.

Yes: Dark Hero 3801, V3.08.06.147, and 472.12

Yes: reset bios to default and reinstalled win10, and same problem occurs.

1) Confirm no DOCP/XMP is applied and memory is also at complete defaults

2) Try reseating the CPU and cooler whilst checking for any bent pins and even mounting pressure.

3) Reseat the GPU

4) Make sure all power connectors are in correctly including any extension cables.

5) Reseat RAM
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Silent Scone@ROG wrote:
1) Confirm no DOCP/XMP is applied and memory is also at complete defaults

2) Try reseating the CPU and cooler whilst checking for any bent pins and even mounting pressure.

3) Reseat the GPU

4) Make sure all power connectors are in correctly including any extension cables.

5) Reseat RAM

Thanks, have run all steps and still getting same issues

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello, as above please confirm you're using the latest drivers and firmware.

These errors can also occur sporadically if FCLK is pushed too far or is unstable, revert MCLK and FCLK to stock by setting optimised defaults and see if the issue persists.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi edplaysdrums,
If it didn't happen in safe mode, did you face the issue after you reinstalled win10 without any third party apps?
Please update latest graphics driver and vbios from our support site, and run memtest to check the ram.
Please also try other power supply and check without the chassis.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi edplaysdrums,
If it didn't happen in safe mode, did you face the issue after you reinstalled win10 without any third party apps?
Please update latest graphics driver and vbios from our support site, and run memtest to check the ram.
Please also try other power supply and check without the chassis.
Thank you.

Hi, thanks for your continued assistance.

Yes, on a fresh install the problem still occurs (including graphics crashes and occasional freezes/restarts). In safe mode the WHEA problem doesn't occur, on the old or new install. Just for clarification of doubt the fresh install contains nothing extra other than the advised driver installs. No other 3rd party software is present.

Drivers/bios/vbios are already all on latest versions, as you advised in earlier posts. Memtest and Karhu Ram Test both pass with no errors.

I had already changed power supply to try and resolve this problem based on advice on previous threads - it made no difference. Although I appreciate your advice I'm afraid I won't be purchasing a third power supply in this instance as I find it highly unlikely it will resolve this issue.

Chassis is already off the machine as I've carried out repeated hardware tests.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi edplaysdrums,
I'm afraid the cause might be various.
If you have you tried other hard drive with OS and graphics card but still the same, please RMA the CPU and the motherboard.
Thank you.

I think its this new stupid new Asus 3801 firmware that's the cause of it.

I have below system:

AMD Ryzen 9 5950x - EK 360 AIO
Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero

And I have been running this system for over a year with no problems.
Every night I use Windows "Sleep" to put machine into hibernation.

Ever since I upgraded to this new firmware (yesterday)... the machine now HANGS or CRASHES/REBOOTS as soon as I try and put it to sleep.

I have been running an older version of firmware - AGESA 3402 - for last year with no problems.
No other hardware changed.

See this in event log now after it just rebooted after I tried to sleep:

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 6