5950x crashes when transcoding movie

bforesman
Level 8
Asus Dark Hero
Asus LC 6800 XT
Asus Ryujin 360
32 Gb CL14
AMD 5950x

something about transcoding a movie that crashes in about 10 seconds. Both Emby and Plex crash but windows remains running.

I can run all kinds of cpu enchmarks and it's fine but transcode a movie and crash.
5 REPLIES 5

RedSector73
Level 12
No used Emby
Have you looked at the error log in Plex. Not heard of anyone using 5950x for it, but I have used 1800x, 2700x and 3900x before without issue.

RedSector73 wrote:
No used Emby
Have you looked at the error log in Plex. Not heard of anyone using 5950x for it, but I have used 1800x, 2700x and 3900x before without issue.

excellent suggestion and I should have thought of that first, thanks. I have to send it to Plex now...

further testing to isolate things between the cpu and the gpu have shown that the GPU is likely the culprit.

Turning Hardware Acceleration off places all the transcoding onto the CPU and it works flawlessly. Re-introduce the Asus LC 6800 XT and it crashes.

So, it's now somehow within the GPU...

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi bforesman,
Did you have the same issue or it was the first time you use Emby and Plex in your pc?
Does it also occur on bios 4201 with bios all default settings and AMD Radeon Driver V22.3.1 installed from our support site?
Have you adjusted GPU settings in GPU TweakII V2.3.9.0?
Thank you.

RedSector73
Level 12
Might be worth using DDU and removing the graphic drivers and then reinstalling them.
Also, make sure you are using the latest chipset drivers. https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570