cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4090 rog strix oc no video output after reboot, unless removing all power for a min

somewede
Level 7
Got a ROG Strix GeForce RTX® 4090 OC Edition 24GB GDDR6X today and i'm using it with Gigabyte X570S AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.0) motherboard. Latest bios.

Been gaming for prollly 5hrs nonstop and then rebooted PC. Led light on the GPU when PC is off but it's not giving any display output when i try to boot up the PC again, unless i remove power completely for a minute or so.. Then i boots up normally with video on the display. Anyone else know why this is? Bios failure or the card?

Using 2000w EVGA 80+ Gold PSU, Gskill CL14 3600MHz Ryzen 5950x. Tried resetting CMOS but nope. So gotta remove power completely every time i'm going to restart the system..
74 REPLIES 74

Nate152 wrote:
Jay seems to think it's a Vbios issue.

Techpowerup has two vbios for your ROG Strix RTX 4090, version .51 has a 500 watt power target.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/?architecture=NVIDIA&manufacturer=Asus&model=RTX+4090&interface=...

You could maybe try this and update your motherboard bios as well.

I'll give it a shot; do we know if this is the BIOS the cards shipped with? Looking at the build date it seems old... I took my 4090 out and put my 3090 back in.

Update: According to my system inforation in the NVIDIA Control Panel, I am already running the .51 BIOS version. Should I "downgrade" to .50?

Also my motherboard BIOS is up to date; I see that some other 670 motherboards have received BIOS updates for 4090 support; will we see this for the 690 boards as well?

Very close to just returning this card if it's just going to be this problematic.

EDIT: Oh, and even though NVFlash had a release on the 13th, doing --list with the utility doesn't even show my adapter. So unsure what utility you want me to use.

Soupladel
Level 10
Yeah the first thing i would be trying is the motherboard BIOS if there is a newer version, because I have heard a few horror stories of things going wrong when flashing the vbios and probably should only be done as a last resort.

Nate152
If you already have the latest vbios, there's no need to update or downgrade.

You're motherboard has the latest bios so all good there.

I don't know if this might help but in the bios on the advanced tab, System Agent Configuration, you could try setting the primary display to PEG.

Also try setting the PCIE slot to Gen 4.

Nate152 wrote:
If you already have the latest vbios, there's no need to update or downgrade.

You're motherboard has the latest bios so all good there.

I don't know if this might help but in the bios on the advanced tab, System Agent Configuration, you could try setting the primary display to PEG.

Also try setting the PCIE slot to Gen 4.

Well the card is back in the box for now. Honestly, I'm very disappointed but I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, being an early adopter. I did try setting that to PEG as well. No difference; the crashes and no-displays are relatively random.

To reiterate:

* Motherboard BIOS is on latest version
* Card sometimes does not display when booting into windows (BIOS and UEFI screens are fine)
* Some games do not work (for instance: Ghost Recon Breakpoint reboots the entire system)
* Sometimes Windows does not recognize the card at all, or says the driver has a problem

Reading other forums, some people are having similar issues. After owning other Strix cards I was hoping for better but I guess I should have just gotten a founder's card instead.

pittfurg wrote:
Well the card is back in the box for now. Honestly, I'm very disappointed but I guess I shouldn't be too surprised, being an early adopter. I did try setting that to PEG as well. No difference; the crashes and no-displays are relatively random.

To reiterate:

* Motherboard BIOS is on latest version
* Card sometimes does not display when booting into windows (BIOS and UEFI screens are fine)
* Some games do not work (for instance: Ghost Recon Breakpoint reboots the entire system)
* Sometimes Windows does not recognize the card at all, or says the driver has a problem

Reading other forums, some people are having similar issues. After owning other Strix cards I was hoping for better but I guess I should have just gotten a founder's card instead.

I don't have these symptoms at all. Ghos recon works fine here on 2 tested amd/intel configs. And when it's no video output, then it's 100% no video output for me on my pc's. Which means, it's not even bios/uefi, totally blackscreen. The computer starts fine tho.. It even loads up windows "behind the scenes", just no video/display turning on. Also don't have the issue with windows not recognize the card. Hmm.. Sounds like another issue, fresh install OS?

i'm on the latest bios + updates for everything. Tried win 10+11 also. It must be vbios/bios i guess.

morph_
Level 11
@nate152 There seems to be a larger issue at hand with the 4090 launch. https://www.overclock.net/threads/rtx4090-and-boot-loop.1801324/, as well as a quick google, shows a lot of people not just STRIX Or Asus owners are having issues with some power quirk/reboot cycles.

Something needs to address this quick either from a vbios/motherboard bios or Nvidia driver.

I was fortunate enough to have my Strix 4090oc plug-and-play work with my z690 formula on bios v1403 but will be flashing it to 2004soon to be compatible with the 13900k hopefully this issue won't surface for me once I flash up.

Thanks for the link here. I did what was in the thread and SO FAR I have not had the problems I was having before.

To be clear for others in this situation:

1. Set "Power Management" in the Nvidia Control Panel to "Prefer Maximum Performance" (instead of Normal)
2. Optional: Set the switch on the card to "Q Mode" (instead of "P Mode) but anecdotally my P Mode is working (as of this post).

Will update if any of this changes.Â*

pittfurg wrote:
Thanks for the link here. I did what was in the thread and SO FAR I have not had the problems I was having before.

To be clear for others in this situation:

1. Set "Power Management" in the Nvidia Control Panel to "Prefer Maximum Performance" (instead of Normal)
2. Optional: Set the switch on the card to "Q Mode" (instead of "P Mode) but anecdotally my P Mode is working (as of this post).

Will update if any of this changes.Â*

Sadly this is something i already have tried and it does nothing to help the no video out from my ASUS GeForce RTX 4090 24GB ROG Strix Gaming OC for 2500 usd in sweden, great price with the taxes ❤️ ;D

Hope Asus put high prio on this and let us know whats happening (if they already did, please share it!) 🙂

Kingdramanyz
Level 7
So the card is not being fed what it expects. Keep it running at full blast all the time is the short term answer. Bios and driver updates are the real solution.