cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4090 rog strix oc no video output after reboot, unless removing all power for a min

somewede
Level 7
Got a ROG Strix GeForce RTX® 4090 OC Edition 24GB GDDR6X today and i'm using it with Gigabyte X570S AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.0) motherboard. Latest bios.

Been gaming for prollly 5hrs nonstop and then rebooted PC. Led light on the GPU when PC is off but it's not giving any display output when i try to boot up the PC again, unless i remove power completely for a minute or so.. Then i boots up normally with video on the display. Anyone else know why this is? Bios failure or the card?

Using 2000w EVGA 80+ Gold PSU, Gskill CL14 3600MHz Ryzen 5950x. Tried resetting CMOS but nope. So gotta remove power completely every time i'm going to restart the system..
74 REPLIES 74

COCOLELE wrote:
@STARRAIN@ROG

I found a black sticker on the graphics card, sent you the serial number in pm.

As for the code 42, yes everytime no matter the settings in windows or bios (even in all default), it will always show code 42 twice before going into windows. This happens on a successful windows boot as well as in an unsuccessful boot.

Also, i did a "driver repair scan" in windows (via cmd command), it did update a few drivers, but it did not solve the problem. A reboot will always fail to start the graphics card 100% of the time.

What do you think? Should i return my PC or is this a bios/compatability issue that will be solved?

hopefully asus/nvidia will get these issues sorted out in the coming days/weeks. They seem to be working hard with collecting all data they can to fix the problems. I'd wait a little and trust in them.

Keeping my 4090 rog strix atleast. 🙂

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi COCOLELE,
Thank you for your information.
I'll report your feedback to our tech team for further checking, but it would take some time.
I'll keep you updated if there is any news.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi COCOLELE,
I'm afraid our tech team cannot reproduce the restart issue with the motherboard and graphics card at hand so far.
Could you please help to check the following information and conditions?
- Please install GPU Tweak from our support site to share the vbios version screenshot like below
- When it is no video output after restart, which qled on the motherboard is lit? (CPU [red], DRAM [yellow], VGA [white], Boot Device [yellow green]

- When it is no video output after restart, do you have to shutdown and replug 220V power cord(or switch PSU off and on) to get the video output? or there is video output after just shutdown and turn on again?
- If the issue also occurs with bios all default settings(no OC), please enable CSM in bios to see whether it still persists.
- Does it also occur with HDMI connection? Have you tried another DP port on the graphics card?

Also, for the issue runs at PCIe 4 x8, do you have another motherboard and graphics card to cross check the issue is with particular PCIE slot or motherboard or graphics card?
For the graphics card power information in monitoring tool, based on our tech team test, there is power information in HWInfo64 v7.30 and GPU-Z_V2.50.0 but there is no such information in MSI afterburner. Please check if your HWInfo64 is the latest version. As for MSI afterburner, please consult MSI more about it.
Lastly, the qcode 42 is from AMD Agesa and it is normal.
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi COCOLELE,
I'm afraid our tech team cannot reproduce the restart issue with the motherboard and graphics card at hand so far.
- Please install GPU Tweak from our support site to share the vbios version screenshot like below

- When it is no video output after restart, which qled on the motherboard is lit? (CPU [red], DRAM [yellow], VGA [white], Boot Device [yellow green]

- When it is no video output after restart, do you have to shutdown and replug 220V power cord(or switch PSU off and on) to get the video output? or there is video output after just shutdown and turn on again?
- If the issue also occurs with bios all default settings(no OC), please enable CSM in bios to see whether it still persists.
- Does it also occur with HDMI connection? Have you tried another DP port on the graphics card?

Also, for the issue runs at PCIe 4 x8, do you have another motherboard and graphics card to cross check the issue is with particular PCIE slot or motherboard or graphics card?
For the graphics card power information in monitoring tool, based on our tech team test, there is power information in HWInfo64 v7.30 and GPU-Z_V2.50.0 but there is no such information in MSI afterburner. Please check if your HWInfo64 is the latest version. As for MSI afterburner, please consult MSI more about it.
Lastly, the qcode 42 is from AMD Agesa and it is normal.
Thank you.

I have since my last post sent the computer back for "service" to let them PC builders have a look at my problem, I let you know if they find anything.

Regarding your questions:
-The vbios i had updated was the one uploaded to the ASUS 4090 TUF support site "V1"-something bios. Asus removed the vbios from their webpage since then, but basically that vbios had the last two digits updated from ".00" to ".80", the rest of the first digits were the same.

- For me, i did not have to replug my 220v cord, it was just enough to power off the computer and wait perhaps 15-30 sec. A reboot however always failed.

- yes, the issue occured on all default bios settings, CMOS reset etc. and with both mobo bios 0705 and 0803, as well as with latest vbios.

- yes, the issue ocurred with all HDMI ports, and all DP ports as well. (The problem is that the mobo don't recognize any vcard inserted on a reboot".

It starts to perhaps sound like a hardware power issue?

Another user has a very similar problem in the thread below:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?131207-ASUS-Crosshair-X670e-Hero-not-booting-ASUS-TUF-4090...

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi somewede,
Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi somewede,

Thank you.

Sounds like i need to RMA. U even saw this issue in jayztwocents video, right?

I just have to turn off the psu for ~15-30 seconds 99% of the times. Very rarely reseat GPU 😃 Might aswell send it back like the other guys did. Since vbios flash (which is removed on asus support page now?) .

I did send you ALL info in DM with the WeTransfer link, in there it should be GPU-Z vBios and every info you requested. Did you download it?

csm on, rebooted 6 times in a row with display - but its skipping bios screen every time and goes straight into windows loading. Spamming DEL until mobo reads A9 puts me in bios tho.

Here is full specs again, in case WeTransfer link in DM didn't work:
CPU: Intel Core i9 13900KF 68MB @ 6GHz
GPU: ASUS GeForce RTX 4090 24GB ROG Strix Gaming OC
CPU COOLER: ROG RYUJIN II 360 ARGB
RAM: G.Skill 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5 6400MHz CL32 Trident
SSD: WD Black SN850 2TB Gen 4 + Corsair MP510 960GB NVME M2
PSU: EVGA Supernova G+ 2000W
MB: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero
MOUSE: Razer Viper 8kHz
KB: Razer Huntsman TKL v2 with optical red gen 2 8000Hz
AUDIO: Universal Audio Apollo 8 Quad / SSL 2+
MONITOR: Samsung OdysseyG7 32" 240Hz
CHASSI: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic EVO
INET: 1Gbit/s up/down

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/82345861?

I'm RMA:ing the card tomorrow, so we can close the thread! 🙂 Thanks for trying to help out tho! ❤️

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi somewede,
Thank you for your reply.
Please describe the issue in detail when issue RMA.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi somewede,
Thank you for your reply.
Please describe the issue in detail when issue RMA.

Yes sir, i will 🙂 Hopefully next card will work fine! If they come back in stock... 🙂 Thank you too!

somewede
Level 7
Were just checking https://rog.asus.com/graphics-cards/graphics-cards/rog-strix/rog-strix-rtx4090-o24g-gaming-model/hel... before sending back card. Seems to be a new vbios v2. Going to try it xD