cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4090 rog strix oc no video output after reboot, unless removing all power for a min

somewede
Level 7
Got a ROG Strix GeForce RTX® 4090 OC Edition 24GB GDDR6X today and i'm using it with Gigabyte X570S AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.0) motherboard. Latest bios.

Been gaming for prollly 5hrs nonstop and then rebooted PC. Led light on the GPU when PC is off but it's not giving any display output when i try to boot up the PC again, unless i remove power completely for a minute or so.. Then i boots up normally with video on the display. Anyone else know why this is? Bios failure or the card?

Using 2000w EVGA 80+ Gold PSU, Gskill CL14 3600MHz Ryzen 5950x. Tried resetting CMOS but nope. So gotta remove power completely every time i'm going to restart the system..
74 REPLIES 74

lLegendaary
Level 9
somewede wrote:
Got a ROG Strix GeForce RTX® 4090 OC Edition 24GB GDDR6X today and i'm using it with Gigabyte X570S AORUS MASTER (rev. 1.0) motherboard. Latest bios.

Been gaming for prollly 5hrs nonstop and then rebooted PC. Led light on the GPU when PC is off but it's not giving any display output when i try to boot up the PC again, unless i remove power completely for a minute or so.. Then i boots up normally with video on the display. Anyone else know why this is? Bios failure or the card?

Using 2000w EVGA 80+ Gold PSU, Gskill CL14 3600MHz Ryzen 5950x. Tried resetting CMOS but nope. So gotta remove power completely every time i'm going to restart the system..

I have same issue with 4090 After restart no output i have to manually shut down pc and turn it on what's up ?

V1 Bios , i wish i didn't update to this Bios man , this terrible i paid for this card around thousand and expect deliver much quality at least zero bugs ?

What's up with performance too i feel like it's not giving really that much my 3080 ti is giving me more fps than 4090 stix v1 bios

Latest nvidia update fresh windows installation this card is something else

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi somewede,
Got it and thank you for your information.
I'll consult our tech team more about it.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi pittfurg,
Do you have no video output issue after restart and you have to switch PSU off and on to get video output currently?
Does it also occur on bios 2103 with bios all default settings(no OC) and Intel ME version 16.1.25.1885?
May I have the following information?
- the serial number of the motherboard and graphics card via pm
- the brand and model name of your RAM, OS drive and monitor
(Please check the specific model name of RMA like G.SKILL F5-7800J3848H16GX2-TZ5RS.
- graphics driver version
- Which PCIE slot do you install the graphics card?
- OS version and OS build
- a screenshot of VBIOS version in GPU-Z
- occurrence frequency
Thank you.

Hi all,

I have the exact same issue as described here using ASUS X670e Hero + ASUS TUF 4090 24gb (non-oc) + AMD 7900x (pre build PC). And what i'm trying to figure out is wether i should return my pre-build PC or wait for bios updates, hopefully the ASUS people here can help me determine that.

So basically as other have described here, a reboot of the system (either from windows, or from bios) will 100% fail to boot the vcard, i.e. to give video output from the 4090 card (i.e. zero output signal from the card).

What people have not described here yet is that in such failed v-card boot i manage to get video signal from the integrated AMD graphics chip (igpu) and log into windows. Inside windows i cannot see the 4090 card in windows "device manager" or any other unidentified gpu devices, and when i click on the Nvidia Control Panel i get an error message that "no nvidia card inserted/detected" (translating from Swedish). This means that the motherboard in such failed v-card bootup do not "sense" any video card inserted, even though the GPU's RGB colors are lit up.

Of course i have tried all the possible tweaks in bios settings (disabled fast boot, using default settings etc.), DDU, even tried the beta mobo bios 0803 and disbled igpu. No improvements.

As others, i can only successfully get the vcard to boot up when i have left the power to the computer off for about 30 seconds, then it boots up.

But here are some key observations after successfull boot up:
(1). The card is detected in Nvidia Control Panel and in all other windows tools like Device Manager, GPU-Z, afterburner etc.
(2). PCI speed - The 4090 card ONLY runs at PCI-e 4 x8 and not the full PCI-e 4 x16, even when forcing the mobo bios to use PCIx16_1 link at x16 and gen 4. And i have nothing installed in the second PCIx16_2 slot, so bandwith should not be limited.
(3). Power - None of the usual monitoring tools HWInfo64, GPU-Z, MSI afterburner can tell me what power my 4090 is utilizing, either the values are zero or unavailable.
(4), Mobo Code 15 at start up, everytime i'm going to boot up my mobo performs a memory training, i.e. code 15 for about 5-10 seconds before going into other codes and finally booting up.

My specs:
Mobo: ASUS x670e Hero (bios 0803, tried 0705 before that)
GPU: ASUS TUF 4090 24 gb (non-oc)
CPU: AMD 7900x (stock)
DDR: Kingston Fury Beast RGB 5600 2x16gb
PSU: Corsair RM1000e 1000w§

Questions:
Q1. Given the described symptoms above, should i return my PC to the seller or wait for bios updates? Can asus people confirm that they are aware of the incompatability problems they have within their own eco system (Asus mobo + asus 4090 card), and that they are working on it?

Q.2 Is this a bios + vbios incompatability issue of newly released tech? (even within same eco system) Or is this a chip/hardware problem that warrants a return?

Q.3. Given that after successful vcard bootup I cannot see how much power is drawn to the GPU, and in a unsuccessful boot the mobo do not detect any vcard inserted at all, is this a hardware power supply issue? Can it be the PSU power delivery or even the adapters to the ASUS TUF 4090 card that are faulty?

Q.4 On every bootup my mobo performs code 15 memory training for 5-10 seconds, does this mean that the mobo each time thinks it is a new hardware installed and feel the need to memory train? (im using EXPO settings in bios, but it still trains when bios settings are default).

Appreciate all the input i get!

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi pittfurg,
Do you have no video output issue after restart and you have to switch PSU off and on to get video output currently?
Does it also occur on bios 2103 with bios all default settings(no OC) and Intel ME version 16.1.25.1885?
(Please check the specific model name of RMA like G.SKILL F5-7800J3848H16GX2-TZ5RS.
- a screenshot of VBIOS version in GPU-Z
- occurrence frequency
Thank you.

* I can send you the serial numbers separately
* G.Skill RAM, Samsung M.2, Gigabyte M32U Monitor
* Nvidia Driver 522.25
* Latest VBIOS
* Loss of display is roughly 1/4 of reboots/shutdowns Â*

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi pittfurg,
Thank you for your reply.
Could you please check if the no video output after restart issue also occur on bios 2103 with bios all default settings(no OC) and Intel ME version 16.1.25.1885?
Please send me the serial numbers separately via PM.
May I have the specific model name of RMA like G.SKILL F5-7800J3848H16GX2-TZ5RS and OS version & OS build?
Thank you.

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi COCOLELE,
I'm afraid the no video output after restart issue is still under investigation.
May I know where did you get the beta mobo bios 0803?
Have you tried PCIEX16_2 slot and RTX4090 VBIOS V1?

- screenshot of VBIOS version, PCI speed, power information in GPU-Z
- a video of booting that code 15 memory training for 5-10 seconds(Please try it on bios 0705 with bios all default settings and then restart again for booting twice)

Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi COCOLELE,
I'm afraid the no video output after restart issue is still under investigation.
May I know where did you get the beta mobo bios 0803?
Have you tried PCIEX16_2 slot and RTX4090 VBIOS V1?

- screenshot of VBIOS version, PCI speed, power information in GPU-Z
- a video of booting that code 15 memory training for 5-10 seconds(Please try it on bios 0705 with bios all default settings and then restart again for booting twice)

Thank you.

@STARRAIN@ROG

I got the beta 0803 bios from the ROG page:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?130719-X670-resource

I will pm the serial number of the mobo and graphics card shortly after this reply.

Info:
RAM -> Kingston Fury Beast RGB 5600 ---> KF556C36BBEAK2-32 (KF556C36-16)
OS -> Win 11 Home version 22621.755
Monitor -> Acer xb271hu, DP 1.2., 6 year old monitor.

Answer to questions:
Graphics driver -> 526.47 (released yesterday), can see more details in the GPU-Z printscreen.
PCI slot -> the card is inserted in the "main PCIE Gen 5 slot", i.e. PCIex16_1 slot and the linked slot PCIex16_2 is empty (they share bandwith). I have not tried inserting it to the other PCIex16_2 slot as the graphics card is too big.

Vbios is the latest one -> 95.02.18.80.93
PCI speed -> still Gen 4 x8 (even after forcing it to Gen4 x16 in bios)
Mobo bios -> flashed it back to 0705, but tried 0803 before

Comments:
Your suggestion of getting back to mobo bios 0705 and setting default settings helped remove the code 15 memory training at start. Does this mean that EXPO 1 in memory overclock is causing this memory training issue?

Also, on my comment about power wattage monitoring, the data is indeed available in GPU--Z, but not in afterburner or HWMinotor. (I send a print screen of GPU-Z). It reaches max 350 w when gaming.

My only problem is that a reboot will fail 100% to get the vcard to be detected in mobo (no video card inserted error), but a fresh boot from a "power off"-state will 100% always boot up with video card.

The PCI-e gen4 x8 is also still a problem.

Q.1 My mobo also give out code 42 before booting into windows, i believe this is a driver error code? Perhaps the PCI bus driver is broken somehow and hence the reason it limits me to go gen4 x16?

Q.2 In CPU-Z it actually says that the PCIx16 slot is running at x16, but the card is only using x8 (see picture below), does this mean its the vcard that is the issue?

Q.3 Do you think my "old" monitor can be the issue for limiting my 4090 running at PCIe gen 4 x16 and running it at x8 speed instead? (My reasoning is that DP 1.2 is limited to bandwith HBR2 (5.40 Gbit/s per lane). But would this explain both the reboot issue and the PCIe4 x8 problem? In the monitor info in GPU-z the link rate is capped at 5.4 gpbs.

Yesterday (Friday) the computer completly crashed in dota 2 game, like black screen and the mobo did not even reboot, it was just stuck att error code 00 with fans running at 100% speed, had to hard reset after it doing so for 1 min. fml.

Screens:

STARRAIN_ROG
Customer Service Agent
Hi COCOLELE,
If the code 15 memory training at start is gone with bios all default settings, it is probably related to EXPO 1.
Do you get code 42 every time before booting into windows on bios 00705 with bios all default settings? Does it only show few second and can boot into windows successfully?

I'm afraid the graphics information you provide in pm cannot be linked to the serial number.
Could you please refer to the following link to provide the serial number of the sticker label on the graphics card(It also would be black sticker label and on the other position) and share it to me via pm?
https://www.asus.com/support/article/566

Thank you.

STARRAIN@ROG wrote:
Hi COCOLELE,
If the code 15 memory training at start is gone with bios all default settings, it is probably related to EXPO 1.
Do you get code 42 every time before booting into windows on bios 00705 with bios all default settings? Does it only show few second and can boot into windows successfully?

I'm afraid the graphics information you provide in pm cannot be linked to the serial number.
Could you please refer to the following link to provide the serial number of the sticker label on the graphics card(It also would be black sticker label and on the other position) and share it to me via pm?
https://www.asus.com/support/article/566

Thank you.

@STARRAIN@ROG

I found a black sticker on the graphics card, sent you the serial number in pm.

As for the code 42, yes everytime no matter the settings in windows or bios (even in all default), it will always show code 42 twice before going into windows. This happens on a successful windows boot as well as in an unsuccessful boot.

Also, i did a "driver repair scan" in windows (via cmd command), it did update a few drivers, but it did not solve the problem. A reboot will always fail to start the graphics card 100% of the time.

What do you think? Should i return my PC or is this a bios/compatability issue that will be solved?